News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: First 1500 Point List  (Read 1449 times)

Offline 1Waimaz1

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
First 1500 Point List
« on: June 24, 2009, 07:03:17 PM »
Hi guys,

This is my first quality attempt at creating a 1500 point list I am looking at. I have read alot of the lists and advice already provided on crisis suits and writing a Tau list. So heres hoping I am on the right track. If anyone notices an incorrect point count please point it out, as I am pretty new to the game.

HQ:

Commander
Shas'el w/ PR, CIB, TA, HW-MT
100pts

Elites:

2x XV8
Shas'vre w/Missle Pod, PR, MT
124pts

2x XV8
124pts

2x XV8
Shas'vre w/Flamer, Burst Cannon, MT
84pts

Troops:

9x Fire Warrior including Shas'ui team leader w/Markerlight and Bonding Knife
115pts

115pts

115pts

Heavy Support:

2x XV88 w/Twin-linked Railgun, Twin-linked SMS, Advanced Stabilisation, MT, TL
180pts

2x XV88 w/Twin-linked Railgun, Twin-linked PR, Advanced Stabilisation, MT, TL
200pts

1x Sky Ray w/6xSeeker missles, 2xNetworked Markerlights, TL, Twin-linked SMS, MT, TA, Disruption Pod.
165pts

2x Sniper Drone Team
160pts

I work that out to total 1482pts. Not sure where to put the extra points and not 100% sure if I have added them up right.

Any advice or reccomendations would be great thanks.

Offline Sayt

• The Devil you think you know.
Re: First 1500 Point List
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 08:33:22 PM »
SMS doesn't have the option of twin linking, it's only EVER S5 AP5 Heavy 4.

Okay, lets break this down

Commander
Shas'el w/ PR, CIB, TA, HW-MT
100pts
Perfect~

2x XV8
124pts

2x XV8
124pts

Shas'Vre is entirely superfluous.  20 points doing NOTHING. and...Fireknives.  Why is it always fireknives.....look .  What do you want your Crisis suits to do?

115pts

115pts

115pts

Without Devilfish, they're ork food.  They have no mobility, and they're gonna get charged, and shredded, unfortunately.  They need devilfish Troop Transports with Disruptyion Pods, minimum.  And drop the markerlights on the ones in the Fish.

2x XV88 w/Twin-linked Railgun, Twin-linked SMS, Advanced Stabilisation, MT, TL
180pts

2x XV88 w/Twin-linked Railgun, Twin-linked PR, Advanced Stabilisation, MT, TL
200pts

Again, no TL on the SMS, and they only get ONE hard point, not three.

Also, Plasma Rifles on XV88s are cheap, but meh, ditchem, if you can.

1x Sky Ray w/6xSeeker missles, 2xNetworked Markerlights, TL, Twin-linked SMS, MT, TA, Disruption Pod.
165pts
Looks fairly standard, but I don't know skyrays well enough to say.

2x Sniper Drone Team
160pts

Uhm.  4 Heavy Support?  Not unless this list if for Planetstrike. Illegal.  I'd maybe drop the skyray, buy yourself two devilfish with the points saved.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 11:32:09 PM »
Something mentioned above that needs to be reinforced - the SMS equipped on Broadsides, Devilfish, Hammerheads, and Skyrays are not twin linked. It's a single system. Modelled in two places but in gaming terms is a single weapon.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:21:03 AM by Bacon Martini »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline 1Waimaz1

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 03:27:44 AM »
So I ditch the Sky Ray and allocate the Fire Warrior teams with devilfish.
Another query I had was whether it would be a better option to include a pathfinder team instead of allocating the Fire Warrior teams markerlights?

What alternative crisis suit combinations should I place in there instead of the Fireknife?

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:28:59 AM by 1Waimaz1 »

Offline Sayt

• The Devil you think you know.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 05:43:28 AM »
So I ditch the Sky Ray and allocate the Fire Warrior teams with devilfish.
Sounds like a good idea to me.  Skyrays, in my opinion, belong in apoc, wher you can have a good half dozen automatic markerlight hits PER TURN (Armoured Interdiction cadre, remote drone network)
Another query I had was whether it would be a better option to include a pathfinder team instead of allocating the Fire Warrior teams markerlights?
Yes, VERY much.  In terms of Markerlights, Pathfinders > Else.

What alternative crisis suit combinations should I place in there instead of the Fireknife?
[/quote]

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 10:21:54 AM »
a little guidance in the right direction is all you need... because you have a fair enough basis, and the rest you should be able to work out from game play...

I agree that Shas'vre are simply not needed. currently there is only one reason to take them and thats if you want to use special issue kit.

other than that they are all but useless, their improved stats will only help you in a combat... so in other words they will be no extra help at all!

you can do the same things with simply using shas'ui - and it will save you points.

as for their set up - why not try out plasma rifle and fusion blaster, at least for one unit... this is a great set up for facing marines.

dont be afraid of using the missile pod and plasma config, its a great set up for starter players... as it affords you good fire at an extended range. as you become more experienced you will want to try more focussed suit set ups. to help you with this, be sure not to glue any of the weapons to your suits so that you can swap as you go. a touch of blu tac should help you out here.

The fire warrriors arent too bad... there is a common understanding that mechanised tau is really the most competitive way to go, simply because there are too many outflanking and deep striing nasties out there to risk keeping our fragile troops out in the open. the added mobility will of course help you move onto objectives etc...

however, thats not to say that a non mechanised army cant do well - though it definately has a sharper learning curve.

if you go with non mechanised, then as much as i love it, the sky ray should be the heavy slot dropped... a single tank in a non mech army always bears the brunt of anti tank firepower - and thus never survives long.

so, either way you have a fair few additional points - perhaps lok at kroot - as a cheap way of including more scoring units... very important for non mech forces.

and things like gun drones which add extra speed...

also, yea, check the legality of your broadsides.