News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Hammerhead Vs. XV88 suits  (Read 1920 times)

Offline 2quiet

• Infinity Circuit
  • BOOOOOOOOM...."yes, that red button..."
Hammerhead Vs. XV88 suits
« on: April 29, 2006, 09:19:24 PM »
Well, pretty much I just want to know what you guys think is a better heavy suport choice and why. I would like to know the pros and cons of each. The way I see it they are both similarly armed, however the Hammerhead usualy costs more than a suit, but then again will probably survive longer. Do you agree? Im a bit confused on this issue. Thank you.
Some of my favorites:

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day- Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I lay in bed last night looking up at the stars in the sky, and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling?

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose

If ther's something you can deffinetely rely on it's gotta be- oh, theres not

Offline The Orange

Re: Hammerhead Vs. XV88 suits
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 10:00:50 PM »
Lately I've been going with my broadsides, because I get 2 railguns instead of one.  Equipped properly they can outlive a Hammerhead.  I've literally had 4 leaman Russes spend 3 turns trying to take out 2 broadsides with 2 shield drones.  On another occasion it was simply one broadside in 5+ cover that withstood a landraider, 3 las cannons, and 2 star cannons (it actually survived the whole game, with a little luck  ;)).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 10:23:00 PM by The Orange »

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 10:03:10 PM »
I've remained using 'Heads rather than Broadsides. They fit more my style of play as well as remain more tactically useful when your deployment plan turns to crap. However, few armies of mine fail to field a Barracuda as well.  :)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 07:13:40 AM »
Hammerheads - Flexible and mobile firepower, practically invunerable to small arms, reasonable speed.

Broadsides - Cheaper firepower, more accurate, lacks submunition rounds, slow.

Generally speaking, both are about as durable as each other when properly upgraded.  Shield Drones or Generators protect Broadsides from larger weapons, and a Hammerhead's armour and speed makes shooting them down difficult.

Broadsides are superior at tackling large numbers of enemy vehicles, where Hammerheads fill a more general tactical role.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's your emperor now?
    • Vengeance of the Fallen [Dutch]
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 07:19:15 AM »
I prefer hammerheads over suits due to their mobility. As a DE player I learned the value of mobility and the need to adjust yourselves to a new situation if it occurs. A hammerhead moves allot around and can quickly support your other units on the field where you need them while the suits are far less mobile.

Besides that our hammerhead can drop pieplate droppers and is better at tackling down squads and the like. While it can also take down tanks. However you might want to decide to take suits for more anti tank shots.

Offline The_Outcast

• Infinity Circuit
  • I am the only one who left willingly.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 04:45:43 PM »
Hammerheads ove suits every game and always. I used to to a field a suit with my heads and he never hit anything all game. Then people wouldn't attack him at all because he just never hit. Then he got droped to pick my third Hammerhead. Hammerheads just fit with my mech army any way.

The_Outcast

Offline W. Gregory Klett

• The Dead don't walk with no kneecaps!
« Reply #6 on: May 1, 2006, 12:51:20 AM »
The more I see, the more I fall into the Hammerhead camp.
Even with ASS the XV88's are basically immobile, and although they will contest/claim their home quarter for the duration, they pose little threat if your opponent moves with careful use of cover. An excellent interdiction unit.

Offline Goyder

• Workshy Lord Moddissar General, The King of Tanks
  • Ancient
  • Australian
« Reply #7 on: May 1, 2006, 03:07:26 AM »
If you want a solid heavy firebase core, the XV88's are the way to go, however, as mentioned their inability to change their position quickly when all goes to hell dims them down in my opinion.

I personally favour the Hammerhead. Not only does it look pretty damned good, I like the fact that it can quickly zip 12" (with the proper upgrades of course) and still be able to maintain a deadily futilade of firepower wherever, and whenever I need it. It suits the style of my Tau army better than the XV88's, and it allows my entire army to move quickly and hit the right targets.

I dont think Hammerheads are better than the XV88's, nor do I think XV88's are better than Hammerheads. Both units are extremly effecient at what they do, it just depends on your style of play which makes them "usefull" or a "don't bother" unit.
Real men fight in Tanks!

Offline int main()

• Crouching Broadside,Hidden Stealthsuit
« Reply #8 on: May 1, 2006, 03:28:46 AM »
In 1500 points I field 2 Hammerheads and a squad of 2 Broadsides in my Mech army.I believe both have their place in any Tau army.Hammerheads are,well,vehicles and have the pros and cons of such.Keep in mind that AFAIK the only thing in a Tau army that can mount Ion Cannons,aside from Forgeworld stuff,is the Hammerhead.The Hammerhead is also the only source of the Railgun submunitions blast.

The Broadside,on the other hand,is essentially a Terminator with 2 wounds and no Inv save(unless you give em Shield Gens/Drones)and also have the pros and cons of being Infantry.I had the misfortune of playing against one of those dreaded 3 Monolith Necron Armies,back when I was even more a n00b than I am.Sometimes you need more railguns,and Broadsides are your most plentiful source of them(max of 9 TL Railguns within 1 FOC).

I also favor the Hammerhead as its mobility gives it a flexibility that Broadsides can't have(even with ASSes).However I think both are useful.
Burn the Sister of Battle.
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

Offline Atticus

• Chillbase
« Reply #9 on: May 2, 2006, 09:19:57 PM »
idn why but i love broadsides but in any 1500 point game i copromise and take 3 broadsides and 2 hammerheads but this is mailny because my hobby center is a tank frenzy so i really do need the 5 railguns. but it depends who u are playing i think if u want to take broadsides or hammerheads. against orks or any other horde army it almost cant be killed and the subumission can take out almost anything. but against space marined ill take a full squad of broadsides. 3 broadsides = dead landraider unless ur roll unlucky. i love killing landraiders u make back ur points instantly

Iron Warriors 13th Legion

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: May 3, 2006, 10:47:50 AM »
^Tank heavy huh? Reminds me of my birthday party where we played a 9K pts battle with 12 peepz.

I found it unfair for the crons to phase out so we scrapped that rule for pure sport (they were in the opposing team). Seeing their advantage in this they instantly drop in 3 mono's where we (As I was playing my Eldar and the groups farseer that predicted 80% of their lists correctly.) as a answer took 9 broadsides on the table.

It was a slaughter. Every broadside team just killed for like 400-500 pts a piece. That was one of the few good times that I have seen them owning. But then again they had more then enough targets in a 9k pts battle :P.

Offline jonathan12

• Sybarite
« Reply #11 on: May 6, 2006, 06:13:57 AM »
lol that was indeed very funny ^^ anyway with the new upgrade de broadsides can move and shoot which is extremely cool and handy but they also can have shield drones if besides the hammerhead is pretty expensive. anyway it is though very suited in a mech army and just like archonbjorn sad mobility is very important.
-drones own-

Offline Ronfarious

• Aka Shinjo HughesU
    • Here's an awesome band, you've never heard of:  Cuttroat Shamrock
« Reply #12 on: May 6, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »
I field both myself.  I have horrible luck with tanks... (A single missle launcher shot has taken out my land raider when I played blook angels), so if I can only take 1 I take the Broadsides.  My army is about half flush them out and half come and get it, so I don't have much problem finding things to shoot at.  The broadsides also seem to be more durable when using shield drones (this could be because of my luck with tanks dropping too easily.).  Just my opinion though.  Both pretty much only field an anti tank/MC role for me, and more shots is always nice.  Especially twin linked ones.
Unicorn Clan • Samurai • Cavalry • White Guard • Junghar • Tactician • Brigadier General • Duelist • Braggart • Loyal • Unique • Hero • Paragon • Berserker •

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: May 6, 2006, 10:07:42 AM »
IMO hammerheads ain't that expensive at all :S. I mean. Sure they cost more then a broadside if you look at them in the dex but the hammerhead is also at the same time a perfect troop annihaltor and can fullfill more roles then the suits.

Hammerheads ain't expensive or cheap. Its a awsome tank IMO. Sure every tank has the weakness that it can explode the first time a rocket hits it. But then again. . it can also survive six turns of shooting by being stunned and shaken and survives small bolter fire and the like.

Offline DUDEMAESTRO

• JESUS SAVES! Everyone else takes critical damage.
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 10:18:06 AM »
I take Two 'Heads and three XV88's. BUUUUT, my 'Heads are equipped with Ion Cannons, Burst Cannons, Multi Trakers, And Target Locks. My 88's take out tanks, as a gaurd player I hated 88's as almost nothing will kill all three in one turn at range, thus I am going of loose most of my Tanks. My 'Heads are Gunships in every sence of the word, they are very mobile, pack a lot of shots, and can shoot at up to three units a turn. It is the essence of combilned arms, everything working as one making up for the shortcomming sof others.
"... of the liberty of conscience in matters of religious faith, of speech and of the press; of the trail by jury of the vicinage in civil and criminal cases; of the benefit of the writ of habeas corpus; of the right to keep and bear arms... If these rights are well defined, and secured against encroachment, it is impossible that government should ever degenerate into tyranny."

-James Monroe