News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Gaunts without end?  (Read 524 times)

Offline Fleet Behemoth

• Unleash the Swarm!
Gaunts without end?
« on: February 27, 2008, 02:47:38 PM »
Who has some great tactical advice on gaunts without end? ???

I've used them for small battles but when the battles get large scale are they worth it?

I think that the problem is that they have to move up and get eliminated, before you can use them again and it is around the 4-5 turn when i think that any effective amount of gaunts dies. which would leave you with 1-2 turns to do something with them.  :-\
I am Hive Mind, and you are my supplement.

Offline Khira'lyth

• Archon
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
Re: Gaunts without end?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 03:17:37 PM »
It's a largely pointless upgrade... fun for the feel of it, but just doesn't have the utility for an all-comers (or even most-comers) list.

Value can be found vs certain enemies or in certain missions.... but unless you know what/who you're playing and build a list specifically for it (which I don't care to do), then it's not much help.

I have, however, thought that it would be fun (in a campaign-style game) to have the Prey-that-Fights hunkered down in a nice big fortification (with turrets and everything) vs a Nid swarm that is fully Without Number (ie everything will come back on when it dies).  Points skewed a bit.. for example 2000 pts (plus fortifications) of defender vs 1500 Tyranids. 

Eventually the Nids *will* break through.  The idea is simply to see how many turns the opponent can hold them off.  Then in the next game, the better the defender did the more they get (say they had to hold off so that certain supplies could be evacuated.. if they last long enough, free power swords for everyone!).  If the Nids swamp them quick, then the transports had to lift off extra-early (less wargear choices/special units for the guy next game).

Khira'lyth

Offline overmind2000

Re: Gaunts without end?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 04:17:57 PM »
hmm there is another thread seeking the answer to this as well:
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=157357.0