News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2k Nids, Various Themes (Current: Vanguard Force)  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
Re: 2k Nids, Various Themes (Current: Vanguard Force)
« Reply #20 on: June 9, 2005, 05:58:03 PM »
Acid Maw gives you rerolled wounds, which are handy considering the stealers average-good strength as opposed to their awesome WS, and Implant Attack lets you effectively reroll any successful Save rolls the enemy make.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #21 on: June 9, 2005, 06:05:01 PM »
I know what they do ;).

Acid maw seems too costly with ltitle benefit to me as it;s only the first round.

Implant attack on a squad has always seemed a waste to me, only on character hunters, it inlficts double wound on one person, they don't carry over to others.

~MTWC
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
« Reply #22 on: June 9, 2005, 06:09:23 PM »
They work wonders against massive squads. Trust me, Khorne Berzerkers hate Implant attacks. The point is that if they save the first set of wounds, they still have to save second set as well in order not to take a wound. basically, the only saves that count are the second ones. All the failed ones on the first and second goes are wounds. Considering the dice rolling that genestealers with scything talons get access to, that's a lot of dead minis.

Yeah I know you know the rules, but the rulebook isn't phantasmagorically clear on the point.

Offline JaedenKaal

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Archon, Kabal of the Black Contagion
« Reply #23 on: June 9, 2005, 09:34:30 PM »
No,sadly, that's not quite how they work.  Implant attack doubles the number of unsaved wounds a model takes.  IE once he's failed his save, he takes two wounds instead of 1.
Scream, mon-keigh!  Scream for your emperor!  He cannot hear your cries, cannot save you from eternal torment at the hands of my haemonculi!  Which reminds me...  I need new bedsheets...

Offline Aliasara

• O NOES! It's the SMurfs AGAIN! *Yawns*
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2005, 03:48:22 AM »
What I mean by Counterattacks is the following. A lot of Players (including me) will place a very small, inexpensive squad in the way of your big monster. The purpose is the following: The objective of the small squad is to be obliterated in YOUR turn by the big monster. When it is MY turn again and I have deployed correctly my HtH Squad with general is in the position to blast you one more turn with the rest of the army and then charge. In this case your High Ini will be meaningless becuz my general will have the same if not higher (Dark Eldar, etc.) Plus a wicked saving throw. If the Blasts did not obliterate you my general or his retinue will, sure as sure. A way to circumvent this tactic is to bog down enemy fire support with inexpensive troops. That is why I suggested the rippers or gaunts. In my opinion your genestealers are too few to be able to prevail vs a shooty army. That was the point I wanted to make. Sorry if I came off a little confused had a bit more wine yesterday than I should have.
Dumm ist nur wer Dummes tut!!

All spelling mistakes are intentional. Finders-Keepers!

• Ancient
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2005, 07:31:25 PM »
Genestealers are much more solid now, and are fast enough to make it to most cover as well (especially if given scuttlers, which allows them to make a 6" move in any direction after deployment but before the game. A unit of 8 of them can stand up to quite a lot. 12 Are virtually unstoppable these days. Even Battle Cannons tend to inflict only about 2 casualties a turn. If the Dark Eldar lord's initiative is lower than 6, then it matters not, and if the Hive Tyrant, which is the one we're talking about here I imagine (cause if it's a Broodlord then nothing goes before him in combat) has a BoneSword or Catalyst, then it really really doesn't matter if he goes first cause even if the HT dies it'll still get its attacks. And if the genestealers are nearby to an HT with a bonesword they get it too, despite their screamnigly high initiative.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2005, 07:36:20 PM »
Agaisnt a DE the Tyrant wont striek first but the Tyrant stands a good chance due to the Implant Attack bonus Instant-killing strength, high number of Attacks, hitting on 3's (the enemy hitting on 5's) and it;s high Toughness and Save.

I think I'm ok for counter-attacking, the Stealers have good speed, stats and saves for one. Then there's the Lictors and Raveners for backup.

~MTWC
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 07:38:06 PM by Makenshi, The White Cloud »
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.