News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My second 2000pt list, ever!  (Read 1135 times)

Offline 0verKill_235

• Greasing tank treads with xeno filth since 2005.
My second 2000pt list, ever!
« on: June 14, 2007, 11:32:59 PM »
Hello again,
It has been awhile, but the input given by you good folks from y last list helped my craft this one. My aim is competitive play as well as a fun army to eat planets with. I am still going with the run up and maul motif with a air support Hive Tyrant.  As well as deep striking Raveners (my bad, last time I meant deep strike not infiltrate). And yes, it is really a Zerg inspired list.*

*List edited 16/6/2007 at 1650 hrs*

Garm Hive Fleet 2000

HQ: 352 pts
Hive Tyrant "Zasz" 
Enhanced Senses,2X sets of Twin Linked Devourers, Warp Blast 121
2X Retinue  90

Flying Hive Tyrant "Kukulza"
Winged, Enhanced Senses, 2x Sets of Twin-linked Devourers 141

Elites: 330
Carnifex: w/ Adrenal Glands (WS),Spine Banks, 2X Sything Talons 110

Troops: 920 pts
10X Genestealers  160
10X Genestealers  160

20X Gaunts w/ fleshborers 120 

16X Hormagaunts  160
16X Hormagaunts  160
16X Hormagaunts  160

Fast Attack: 132 pts
1X Ravener w/ 2X Scything talons, death spitters 44

Heavy Support: 258
2X Zoanthrope w/ Synapse Creature, Warp Blast 130
Carnifex w/ Enhanced Senses, Twin-Linked Death Spitter, Barbed Strangler 128

*Yes I know everyone can argue about how Zerg are a rip off of Nid from yesterday till the sun goes super nova. But who cares. All of South Korean won't why should you?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 07:48:50 PM by 0verKill_235 »
Death before Dismount!

Offline Benandorf

• Waaargh! Orkz Ruinz me Life!
  • Why so heretical?
    • Texas ...TeamPlayers...
Re: My second 2000pt list, ever!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 12:42:47 AM »
Just no on that first hive tyrant.  168 points for multi roled unit and then 3 guard.  Just hell no.  Cut those upgrades down and give him two guns.  Also, 2 guard is the max you should ever take, it is generally overkill, which makes 3 uber-super-overkill.

You gave your flyrant +ws and two ranged weapons (of different ranges).  Give him 2x STs and maybe TS.  143 points for a helluva monster.

Lictors are bad.  Save those points and go elsewhere.

Take genestealers vanilla in troop slots, unless you have so many you can't feasibly use cover for them all, in which case give one or two EC.  No reason to have that expensive of genestealers.

You gave your gaunts EC!?  Cmon, man.  A 5+ save is no better than a 6+ against 90% of guns.  And go with Fleshborers, better shooting power and cheaper than devourers.  Also, more numbers, 10 isn't gonna do it, try to get at least one squad of 16 or two squads of at least 14 each, if you want to use gaunts.

Hormagaunts are vanilla, which is great, but you need at least 12 in a squad to expect to survive much.

Rending Claws is always the better choice for raveners than a second set of STs.  And don't give him guns, fleet will almost always be a better choice than a few low-str shots.  Also, they can't infiltrate.

Zoanthropes are fine, but a third would be nice at this point level.

A melee fex should never cost more than 115 points.  He won't do much of anything anyways, so keep him cheap.  You lack AT, so I'd suggest replacing him flat out with a sniperfex.

Make some changes and post up your new list.

Oh, and just cause South Korea doesn't care doesn't mean I shouldn't.  But there's no debate between Tyranids and Zerg; Blizzard admits that they took heavy influences from 40k, and Tyranids where there first.

But SC is still a great game.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 01:06:43 AM by Benandorf »
Quote from: Yuenglingdragon
When life gives you anything, charge it with Genestealers.
Alarm clock? Genestealers.
Your boss? Genestealers.
The rednecks that cut in front of me at Wal-mart like I didn't have anything better to do than stand in line? Genestealers.

Quote from: unknown
Asking for advice on using VC to beat O&G is like saying "I'm 6'3", work out, and consider myself pretty tough.  Can anyone give me advice on how to beat up the handicapped kid down the street?"

Offline sebster

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 03:37:44 AM »
Oh, and just cause South Korea doesn't care doesn't mean I shouldn't.  But there's no debate between Tyranids and Zerg; Blizzard admits that they took heavy influences from 40k, and Tyranids where there first.

But SC is still a great game.

And GW would be lying if they said everything they had was original.  It isn't original, but it isn't meant to be and it doesn't matter.  This is science fiction and there's nothing new under the sun, and GW is at its best when it themes its armies around classic archetypes.

But back on topic :), Overkill, have you played many games so far, or have you collected much of your army?  I ask because there are a lot of man hours to invest in getting a 2000 point army on the field.  Not that I'm discouraging you, its a great hobby, but I'd recommend planning a 500 point army first, then 750 and so on.  It means you get to start playing sooner, and you don't get that daunting feeling when you finish your first gaunt.

Offline BrotherTerran

• good, bad, I'm the kitty with the gun
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 04:35:08 PM »
everything Benandorf said x2

1 additional note, I'm a bit harsher on CC fexes.  Don't take them at all Dakkafex(2xdev) are better I think in every sense. That's it for me
"Its the thought that counts, but the results that matter"

Offline 0verKill_235

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 11:58:21 PM »
Changes have been made to the list. For example, the Carnifex in the Heavy Support slot has been reconfigured as a long range weapons platform. The flying tyrant is now been modeled with a "strafe and slash" style of attack in mind. The troop choices are striped down to basic no frills layouts and with more of the little scamps. And three 110 point carnifexs are now in the elite slots.

I am primarily a Imperial Guard player (my chaos and Inquisition armies are very much in their low point game infancy). So when I decided to start getting into Tyraninds,  I wanted to to build an army around a specific army list (or army lists) instead of just going around and picking box up after box. Rather plan to buy than just go around buying stuff. That and I'm kinda stingy and the moment.     
Death before Dismount!

Offline Benandorf

• Why so heretical?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 02:44:52 AM »
Good plan with getting a list before you buy.

Toxin sacs is useless on a carnifex of any type, and doubly so on one that already has max str for his weapons.  Drop that.  And give him a Barbed Strangler instead of a Deathspitter.  1 more Str, large blast template, same AP, and same number of shots.

3 melee carnifexes is a bit much, since there's not a big chance they'll do all that much.  Take one (if you're dead set on having a melee fex) and then get yourself two dakkafexes.  They're extremely effective for the points.

Same problems with raveners still, but I'm not going to retype it.

All squads are better off with an even number of wounds, for scoring unit purposes.  Takes the same number of wounds to take 14 under half as it does to take 15 under half.

First HT is still too expensive.  Go through every biomorph and ask yourself "how often will this come in handy?" and really think about it.  Then decide if you really want it.  Also, don't multi role, if it has guard and is footslogging, give it two guns.  It will take forever to get close enough for combat, and that slot is much better used for something you'll use every turn.  Like a Barbed Strangler.  Or, better yet, drop both his current weapons and give him 2x TL Devs.  12 attacks at BS4 Str5 with reroll to hit and to wound is NICE.

Choose what you want your flyrant to do.  Either give him two guns (in which case you should footslog him, since the wings aren't a big help if you shoot from range) or 2x Scything Talons.  But as it is, you aren't as good at shooting or melee as my flyrant is, and you cost more.

It's deffinitely improving, just needs a little more tweaking.
Your boss? Genestealers.
The rednecks that cut in front of me at Wal-mart like I didn't have anything better to do than stand in line? Genestealers.

Asking for advice on using VC to beat O&G is like saying "I'm 6'3", work out, and consider myself pretty tough.  Can anyone give me advice on how to beat up the handicapped kid down the street?"

Offline 0verKill_235

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 07:57:50 PM »
Well I took most of your advice Benandorf and scaled down the HQ and HS sections. Both Tyrants are both shooting variations and slightly cheaper. I kept the CC fexis for fluff purposes (I'm working on the that fluff) and for the sake of annoying the other player. Hormogaunt packs are now 16 per squad. HS Carnifex had been given a Barbed Strangler but I kept the TL-Death spitters for the re-roll and template. Ravenors are armed with death spitters for shooting after deep striking. I'd rather give them something than deep strike and not kill anything because they can't assault. Thats it for now, I will probably wait quite some time before I even start to construct a Nid army. After the time StarCraft 2 makes it to the shelfs.   
Death before Dismount!

Offline Benandorf

• Why so heretical?
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 09:01:14 PM »
Don't deep strike raveners.  They're as fast as hormagaunts anyways, so just deploy them normally.
Your boss? Genestealers.