News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A Whych Cult in 6th  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Biscuit

• Found some love for my *Eldar* again!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks, Spacemarines
A Whych Cult in 6th
« on: November 11, 2013, 08:44:19 AM »
Hi guys!
If I were to build me selfe a whych-cult in this edition what would it look like?

I have 30+ whyches and about 10 bloodbrides.
To complement this I have the usual raiders and ravagers and 1 razorwing.
I would really like some suggestions how to build a list that may be a little competative and dont get shoot down and cut down by fire in the middle of the board.

//Biscuit

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
Re: A Whych Cult in 6th
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 11:05:54 AM »
An old style close-combat rush Wych Cult is quite a challenging proposition in 6th Edition, largely due to their squishiness in the face of overwatch.  If you want to go for it, I would suggest trying to include a few of the following builds:

Bloodbrides - I never take these.  I don't think they are much better than standard Wyches, and they aren't scoring.

Transports - Wyches will never survive walking towards the enemy.  All of your Wych squads need to be in Raiders or Venoms.

Hekatrix with Phantasm Grenade Launcher - because defensive grenades give you a cover save within a certain range, this will give you a little resilience to overwatch when you charge in.

5 Wyches with Haywire Grenades in a Double-Cannon Venom - A popular build at the moment.  The Venom gives loads of anti-infantry fire, and the Wyches threaten vehicles (which usually can't overwatch).  I'm not that keen on it myself, because it doesn't really match my mental picture of Wych fluff - they should be charging in to dismember the prey races, not skulking about and only taking on vehicles.  But it is an effective construct in the current ruleset.

Reaver Jetbikes - Their massive speed can be used to threaten whatever you need to.  I like to run mine in large squads (6-9) for survivability, and give them blasters to allow them to threaten vehicles when they're not bladevaning enemy infantry.  The massive jink save for moving flat out makes them very survivable when you bladevane (but watch out for "ignores cover!"), or, if you are shooting, use your Eldar Jetbike assault move to pop back behind cover after unloading.

Beastmasters - Another popular unit at the moment, usually run as a death-star with lots of Khymerae (to take high S attacks on their invulnerable save) and Razorwing flocks (for high W and A).  They are very fast and hit hard.  A lot of people run them with Baron Sathonyx for the buffs he brings.

Haemonculi - Not strictly a Wych cult choice, but that bonus pain token is really useful to start the game, and you can get 3 in a single HQ slot.  You can also detach him prior to an assault (no fleet) and then charge him first to soak up overwatch if you are happy to sacrifice him.

Duke Sliscus - His 'contraband' special rule can really help you get a useful effect from your drugs.

Apart from this general advice, I suggest you post a list you like the sound of, and then ask the community to critique it for you.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 11:19:30 AM »
I'm actually more optimistic about wych cults than I was at the start of the edition. The nerfs to Power From Pain are annoying, but the buffs to haywire grenades give us a certain amount of versatility with out wyches.  The biggest concern I hear about wyches is overwatch, but I've found overwatch to be pretty underwhelming for the most part.  Sure, you'll probably lose a couple of wyches, but not being at full squad size when you get to grips with the enemy improves your chances for having the combat last until your opponent's turn (shielding you from additional fire.)  Plus, being able to assault out of our transports (unless I've been playing that wrong) makes us one of the better armies for covering ground and assaulting quickly.

I won't pretend 6th edition didn't hurt wyches a bit. Still, I think they're a perfectly workable choice.  Getting into combat (and not being exposed afterwards) has always been the tricky part with them, but our girls can handle themselves once they're in there, our succubi are pretty snazzy challengers with their invul saves, and haywire grenades make our girls just as dangerous (maybe even moreso) to land raiders as they are to a squad of regular mooks.

Also, charging up to 12" is fun. 

Offline Revener

• Moooo!
    • VÄS
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »
My wych squads are still  my workhorse that do whats needed in my  games, although I only run 2 squads.

I just need to remember to use plasma grenades instead of haywire  grenades on vehicles with weak rear armour, because  they have a tendency to blow up in you face otherwise :)

Usually run squads of 6-8 wyches + a haemie  because they REALLY need to start with that pain token :)

Ther should be no reason why a full wych cult wouldn't work, I still run mostly Close combat with my DE army,  but I mix it up with wracks and khymeras.

Anyway......

Offline Biscuit

• Found some love for my *Eldar* again!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks, Spacemarines
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:24:23 AM »
thanks for all the answers!!

This was really informative and gonna take alot of what has been written into consideration.

I like the idea of Beastmasters with Khymeras! What about the flocks of doom? have heard alot of them, is that something to bring aswell?

Hemonculi will be included in the squads, what about load out? is it the liquifier gun that is the shizzel?

This is a list that I've been toying around with:

Duke Sliscus
Haemonculus, Liquifier Gun
Haemonculus, Hexrifle
Haemonculus, Liquifier Gun

5 Hekatrix Bloodbrides, Syren, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Haywire Grenades
Venom, 2xCannon

9 Wyches, Hekatrix, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Haywire Grenades
Raider, Enhanced Aethersails Hemonculus with Liquifier Gun here

9 Wyches, Hekatrix, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Haywire Grenades
Raider, Enhanced Aethersails Hemonculus with Liquifier Gun here

20 Kabalite Warriors, Sybarite, 2x Dark Lance Haemonculus with Hexrifle here

1 Beastmaster
5x Khymerae

5 Reaver, Arena Champion, 2x Blasters

Razorwing Jetfighter

Ravager, Nightshields, Flickerfield.

What do you think?

Offline Revener

• Moooo!
    • VÄS
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 07:25:05 AM »
I never run with less the 10 beasts,   10 khymera have a silly amount of attacks on the charge also i t makes them more durable. Just  5 really dies  fast to shooting + you risk loosing the only bestmaster and you need him for Ld.

You needs at least a Venom blade on your whych  characters.
 Where do the Duke go ?  you have no space for him on the raiders or venom.

Hexrifle seldom do anything unless you are lucky, I would just get a flamer on the last haemi too,  or just skip him entirely since you  have DLs in that squad instead of Splintercannons.

I've also found tat Grisly trophies is an essential vehicle upgrade if you try to run a CC list.

Anyway......

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 07:57:15 AM »
By and large it looks like a good list to me, and Revener has made some good points.

Although Sliscus has to start with your Warrior Blob, his rules don't say he has to stay there.  He is made of assault, not shooting, so have him scoot straight over to an assault squad in a transport on the first turn and jump in. I would drop a Wych from one of your squads to do this.

Venom Blades are awesome value and I would give them to all of your Wych characters and the Haemis (except perhaps the one with the Warriors).  The Haemi with the Warrior Blob is really useful to aid their survivability, so for that he doesn't really need any wargear at all; hexrifles aren't that effective in my experience either, so I would either give him an LG to deter assault or nothing at all.

As I said before, I don't find Bloodbrides to be up to much at all.  Sure, you get a few extra attacks with them, but a small squad of wyches has the advantage of being scoring, and they're almost as survivable.  That saving would free up a few points for Venom Blades.