News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: I've got a giant stack of old codexes/rulebooks - what should I do with them?  (Read 842 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
So, I've got codexes and rulebooks running from 2nd edition through 8th edition and, as I'm finally reorganizing my office, I've realized they're taking up too much space and I need to be rid of them.

But what do I do with them all?

Sell them? (would anybody buy out of date rulebooks?)
Donate them? (if so, where?)
Throw them away?

We're talking a near full bookshelf of stuff, here. 30-40 codexes (and some WHFB books, too!), rules supplements, at least 4-5 BRBs, etc..

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
you could probably make a few $ selling the books on ebay, there is always a market for folks looking for older books, but it would have to be pretty cheap. I remember buying the 3rd edition rulebook for $20 on ebay before as I was feeling nostalgic.

I usually cut the art out of old books I like (one day to frame), and then just recycle them. I can't be bothered to try and sell them. Some I keep though, like my limited edition books and such.

If you have a used bookseller in your town, you could also try there. The one in my city has a few old armybooks on the shelves, and I bought an old 3rd edition supplement there to read.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
Yeah, selling them on Ebay seems like more trouble than worth, given how much shipping would add up to.

Used bookstore is a good idea. I've considering donation to a library, but I don't know if they'll take them.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Shipping on ebay isn't an issue, as you can add the cost of shipping into the auction. I usually over-estimate shipping cost, so you don't have to eat that. It's just setting up a bunch of auctions which may-or may-not sell. I have a old copy of the Xenology book I couldn't sell, and I was pricing my copy less than any of the others. 
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
Shipping on ebay isn't an issue, as you can add the cost of shipping into the auction. I usually over-estimate shipping cost, so you don't have to eat that. It's just setting up a bunch of auctions which may-or may-not sell. I have a old copy of the Xenology book I couldn't sell, and I was pricing my copy less than any of the others.

Right, I know that shipping doesn't cost me, but the cost to ship a heavy hardback book is going to be high-ish, and if the book is only worth $5 USD, it won't sell if the shipping is $4. This is coupled with the fact that I'd sort of have to sell them individually (or nearly so) and that means trips back and forth to the post office, etc..

If you think I can get, like, $20 a book, I'll do it. But I sort of need to get rid of them more than I need the money, and Ebay seems the least convenient way to get rid of them.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
keep the army that you love, the lore is gold in the older codexes.

Keep stuff for 5th ed 40k it is good to go back and play that edition.

WHFB 6th ed seems to be the gold standard for WHFB, I would recommend keeping these as it is still fun, but if you know you are not going to leave AoS then yeah sell them .

The books are still being sold on facebook groups rather quickly, ebay seems to take along time to sell, but they are at silly prices.

Pricing varies with edition, generally about $20 AUD plus postage, but it depends on the edition. 40k 5th and 2nd tend to go for those prices, as well as whfb 6th ed. 6ht and 7th tend not to be as much but only a few $$ difference. 3rd is inconsistent.

Supplements tend to go for about he same as the codexes.

Most people who are after the book don't care if it is a "limited" ed. So you might have to hold on to them for a while if you want a much higher price, where an actually collector is looking for it.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 10:11:42 PM by magenb »

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Jesus Christ, if I had the money I'd take them in an instant.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
keep the army that you love, the lore is gold in the older codexes.
FWIW, this more than anything--as both someone that was originally hardcore into the background (and nothing else) and someone that has to rely upon the partial (self-made) scan of WD127 that I had to leave behind in Blighty. I didn't want the wargame stats back in those days... *sigh*

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
Well, my grace period for figuring out what to do with the books expired and my wife packed them up and dropped them off at a nonprofit, so if you're in the Boston area and looking for a lot of obsolete GW books, check out Beyond Words.

In other news, you know that thing that happens in cartoons when a guy throws out his back--he stoops, there's a pop, and he's like OHHHHHH.

Well, turns out that's a real thing--the pop, the sound you make, the aftermath, everything. Ask me how I know.  :-\