News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Salamanders and re-rolling 1's  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Satanic Joker Jester

• Armies: Eldar
Salamanders and re-rolling 1's
« on: February 10, 2020, 04:16:42 PM »
So I played a game against salamanders the other day and he was able to re roll 1's to hit, and the 1 re roll per phase or so for being salamanders. All good.

One thing came up though that I wasn't sure about, it didn't matter as we are both getting back into the hobby and re learning the rules but it seemed strange.

He shot his plasma guns the dangerous way? Where if you roll a 1 the model dies. He rolled some 1's and said they didn't die as he got to re roll 1'a and that they would only die if the re roll was another 1.

That seems a little whack to me. Because the gun getting too hot or etc would kill the model. I feel like the re roll wouldn't apply for that situation? Anyone have any clarification on this?
another day, just breathe.

Looking for a new army project...
Eldar         Necrons
6-0-1       4-1-1

Possible, that it could all be wonderful~
Sweet the sound, as all the stars come crashing down~

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Salamanders and re-rolling 1's
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 05:10:41 PM »
You can in fact reroll out of a plasma overheat using the Salamander chapter tactic, or if you have a Captain nearby. This is one of the ways to mitigate the dangers of plasma overheat. This is legal and highly recommended.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 05:14:42 PM »
The only result that matters is the final one.  Regardless of whether they reroll, have a + to hit, or a - to hit.

So you can reroll a 1 for Overheating to avoid the death; if you have a +1 to hit and roll a one, it doesn't kill the model as the final result is a 2; and if you have a -1 to hit, they will die on a 2 as the final result is a 1.

I've killed an entire unit of Plasma Inceptors overcharging against an Eldar flyer because they were dying on 1-2, and I had no rerolls nearby; and I have saved countless marines dying from Plasma because I run Dark Angels with an innate reroll.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Satanic Joker Jester

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 06:59:03 PM »
Well damn... That's pretty sweet! Lol good to know for when I run my nurgle army :)
another day, just breathe.

Looking for a new army project...
Eldar         Necrons
6-0-1       4-1-1

Possible, that it could all be wonderful~
Sweet the sound, as all the stars come crashing down~