News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 70438 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - New Orc Giants Bloodbowl.
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2017, 04:32:43 PM »

As stated, the blue unbalanced the mini, so I went for a more neutral palette.

You are a much better painter than I will ever be but I really preferred the blue soft wood. I really liked how it gave the model an eerie other-worldly aspect.

Other than that I have to agree with Ynneadwraith and the way you have painted the buds/leaves totally captures a feeling of Spring time.

Thanks for the feedback Alienscar.

Going to the pale soft wood wasn't a decision I made easily. I tried to paint it again as a softer blue which was a little closer to grey, but that still didn't work with the green/yellow leaves.

As the end of the day, I had to make a choice on which was to go, the blue soft wood, or the green/yellow leaves. It was easier to combine something with the leaves and stick to the Spring motif than it was to try to find a leaf colour that complimented the blue wood. Also, there's more yellow coming, so that was also going to be a factor.

I really appreciate the input though, I love differing opinions, especially when they come with thoughtful arguments...and now I quite want to do another Treelord, but this time working a Winter theme, so that the Blue really meshes with the concept! Gah! Damn it!!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2017, 07:06:00 AM »
I think you made the right call Loosh. While I loved that magical vibe offered by the blue... I love the final version. It'd match my GW trees perfectly! lol

However a winter tree with that blue wood would be incredible!

Also don't be so modest my friend. Your painting skills are phenomenal... I'm actually trying to mimic your style a bit... I want to soften and blend my highlights a bit more after seeing so much of your work. It really reminds me of Rankin and Bass animation where they do the outlines not in black, but in color... like magic swords with white blades  outlined in grey, blonde hair outlined in brown. Stuff like that. Anyway love it!

Are you doing a Sylvaneth army? They are supposedly beastly on the tabletop particularly Durthuu (not sure how to spell his name). Anyway great stuff man I love it!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2017, 05:48:18 AM »
I think you made the right call Loosh. While I loved that magical vibe offered by the blue... I love the final version. It'd match my GW trees perfectly! lol

However a winter tree with that blue wood would be incredible!

Also don't be so modest my friend. Your painting skills are phenomenal... I'm actually trying to mimic your style a bit... I want to soften and blend my highlights a bit more after seeing so much of your work. It really reminds me of Rankin and Bass animation where they do the outlines not in black, but in color... like magic swords with white blades  outlined in grey, blonde hair outlined in brown. Stuff like that. Anyway love it!

Are you doing a Sylvaneth army? They are supposedly beastly on the tabletop particularly Durthuu (not sure how to spell his name). Anyway great stuff man I love it!

Thank you for the kind words Cav...I love that you're such a good, prolific painter...who I also try to emulate! It forces me to raise my game every time I produce something. Whenever I see your work it makes me not want to 'settle'...to look again and the model and try to see what I hate, not what I love.

As to your question...I'm not planning a Sylvaneth army at the moment. Maybe down the line (although if I try AoS it will be with Skaven) I will, but the Treelord is for something quite different. I'll update that particular project when I finish it, but not before. I don't have much to add, but what I add will take time and I don't want to give the game away. Much like last year's 'Naughty List' diorama for the Secret Santa painting competition, there's a twist with this model, so I want to wait until he's complete.

I have been working this week though. Actual work has been kicking my ass, as I've been out of the house for 13 hours every day, so it's been doing 20 minutes of work here and there late at night, but I've made decent progress with The New Orc Giants...all linemen complete, with only touch ups required:

The checks are deliberately neat but sloppy. That is, an accurate grid, but poorly applied paint - heavy or thin...just slap dash and a bit orky. Or orcy...

So there you go. As I say, a couple of touch ups required, but I'm fairly happy so far...especially considering I was ball-bagged when ever I was painting them.

In other good news, I've figured out half my team name when I get round to the Dwarf team!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2017, 07:33:41 AM »
Brilliant work again my friend. The textures are just fantastic... the difference between the metal and cloth is so tangible. The wash work on the pants, the chipping and scrapes on the metal... I love it! What fantastic models too... I love how huge the new Ork models have been. Hopefully 40k orks get similar treatment sometime soon. Fantastic work these guys are awesome

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2017, 01:01:49 PM »
I can only agree with Cavalier really Looshkin. That chequer pattern is just brilliantly executed and the damage is on the right side of awesome. The rust looks brilliant and more importantly there isn't too much of it. Cavalier is also correct when he says that these Orks look the part as well. As always your bases not only look good but they look like you have used real soil and grass, brilliant.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2017, 05:36:50 AM »
Those are absolutely stunning loosh :) i am not worthy! ;)

Brilliant idea on the slapdash look of the pain on the checkers. Fits so well with the orky way of doing things :) i'm surprised more people don't do it!

First half of your dwarf team's name? After thr brilliance of New Orc Giants i can't wait ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2017, 01:49:38 PM »
Wowsers! Thanks guys. I'm really taken aback by the praise for these guys. I'm just really pleased that you like them...they had kinda been staring at me for 3 weeks whilst I was starting the Treelord and I was struggling to bring myself to paint them, so to finish them and for the response to be so overwhelming...well I need to remember that whenever I don't fancy painting something.

You all spotted the stars of the show, though; the minis. GW absolutely knocked it out of the park with the Orc team. The Skaven team too. It's actually quite a shame that the Human team is only decent. Don't get me wrong, they're lovely models and such an easy kit to work with, but the Humans aren't nearly as dynamic as the other races so far...not even the Dwarf team.

So the models are the star of the show. I just try to paint the models in a way that allows the pose of the miniature to shine through.

Thanks guys!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #87 on: February 1, 2017, 06:46:46 AM »
It's well deserved Loosh :) I get the feeling that doing a slapdash-effect painting is a little like a good actor trying to act badly (really tricky!)

I'll second your comments about the stellar minis though. The latest stuff that's been put out by GW (when it's not some spangly overwrought character) has been really mindblowing. There is a reason people stick with GW through all the various upheavals, and that reason is that at the heart of it they're a bl**dy good miniatures company :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #88 on: February 1, 2017, 05:25:49 PM »
Alright Looshkin, I really like what you've done on your team. They look great. So I got my team yesterday and it's your fault. Never played the game but now, well, after seeing yours, I have ratz. They're called the Ratfinks. Building now so hopefully start painting this weekend. And yup, your fault. Thanks  :)
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #89 on: February 2, 2017, 01:34:49 PM »
Alright Looshkin, I really like what you've done on your team. They look great. So I got my team yesterday and it's your fault. Never played the game but now, well, after seeing yours, I have ratz. They're called the Ratfinks. Building now so hopefully start painting this weekend. And yup, your fault. Thanks  :)

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! I'm so glad that you've hopped on the bandwagon! The Skaven are terrific models, hopefully you'll love them just as much as me.

Just be careful of the tails when assembling them. They're characterful, but relatively brittle. Not so much that they shatter as soon as you look at them, but definitely make sure you clip the tail off the sprue first, and be a little careful handling them.

Welcome to the chittering horde!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Bloodbowl Diorama
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2017, 08:43:28 AM »
Well, I have been quiet this past week, haven't I? Fortunately, I've still been busy. Mainly with work, but then I got through a few bits to finish off my Secret Santa Painting Competition Entry. Yay!

Part of the entry requirements for the comp stipulate that you should mount your entry onto one of the big ass bases that Alarielle comes on...and if you know how damn big that model is, you'll know that I was acutely aware that a Treelord, on it's own, on that base, would look ridiculous. So I knew that the Treelord would have to have some pals on the base with him...but allies or enemies?

Enemies. Every time.

So I finished this chap:

You'll notice that his skin tone is just a little darker than the other Orcs, as he's a Black Orc. I didn't want to go 'cartoon' Black Orc though, I just wanted him to be a touch darker and more menacing.

'But Loosh', I hear you ask, 'why the heck is a Treelord being grouped with one of your Blood Bowl characters?'

Good question, to which there is an easy answer,

Meet Latharian Proudbranch, rookie Treeman for the Green Glade Thwackers!*

Some of you may have picked up on the odd arrangement of colours on his...whatever it is...loincloth I guess? Well, it's because the arrangement forms his number: 2!

Add in a tiny Squig Ball to fight over (Not quite finished, a couple of minor details to add:

I love this model. It even has an rather unsavoury chap, what-ho old bean? inflation hole modelled!

I then cut some holes in plasticard many layers of plasticard, cleaned it up a touch and then based it in my usual way, with the addition of some detritus, such as torn off armour plates and some cool leaves that I found online.

Pop it all together and you have the final result:

So there you go! About 5 weeks of work, on and off. I've got to say that this is one of my favourite pieces that I've ever done. Dioramas aren't normally my thing, but the whole concept came to me and when I finally put it together, it matched that concept (Last year's entry didn't work nearly as well. I was a good idea, but a bit of the quality of painting just let it down). The other important thing for me was that I could pop the models out and use them for their respective teams.

I will be writing a back story to go with the Diorama that hopefully will tie everything together and get me a win in the painting competition. Even if I don't win, it was an absolute blast putting it together and a piece that I am immensely proud of.

There is still 1 week to the comp though, so if you can see anything that you think needs touching up or reworking, please let me know as I can no longer see the wood for the trees (pun intended).

Thanks for dropping by and fighting through this mega post!!

*Green Glade Thwackers/Green Bay Packers - even the colours are the same, Green and Yellow! Man I love working my way through NFL teams!!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:47:51 AM by Looshkin »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2017, 02:16:12 PM »
Wow... now I perhaps over use this term... but all I can say is: LEGENDARY! Absolutley legendary. This is why I go crazy for your work Loosh. Soooooooooo nice... the colors are absolutely beautiful. The brush work is so soft and vibrant and the basing and modelling is beyond superb! If you don't win this competition I will be FLOORED!

Dear lord, I just can't say enough about this diorama man... but let me pick out a few details that really stand out.

First off the leaves on the tree man are just sooo killer. The greenish yellow makes him feel like he's really blooming into spring. I love it!

The blending on the squiq/ball is just fantastic. It really feels like leathery skin... again I mentioned this but the distinct textures are incredible!

And the basing on the big mega base with all the leaves is really phenomenal. Never seen those fallen leaves before. Wow what an I eye-catcher.

Simply phenomenal stuff... something truly to remember and be proud of. Such great work my friend. Congrats on an amazing project completed. Cheers man!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2017, 03:44:23 PM »
Wow... now I perhaps over use this term... but all I can say is: LEGENDARY! Absolutley legendary. This is why I go crazy for your work Loosh. Soooooooooo nice... the colors are absolutely beautiful. The brush work is so soft and vibrant and the basing and modelling is beyond superb! If you don't win this competition I will be FLOORED!

Cheers man, I really appreciate the kind words. This thing was just a blast to work on. I'm sure you will know how much easier and better it is to work on something that you're enjoying.

The blending on the squiq/ball is just fantastic. It really feels like leathery skin... again I mentioned this but the distinct textures are incredible!

The squig ball was a bit of an afterthought! Really simple to do the paint job too. It was just 2 thin coats (Duncan Rhodes would be incredibly proud of me) of Mephiston Red. I followed it up with my mandatory Agrax wash. After that, it was just a case of applying a little bit of Evil Sunz Scarlet to the most raised area. No real skill involved, it was just letting the sculpt do the work.

And the basing on the big mega base with all the leaves is really phenomenal. Never seen those fallen leaves before. Wow what an I eye-catcher.

I remember first seeing the leaves on something that Reecius (I think) was working on. I know that I thought 'that looks nice, but I don't know when I would ever be able to do something like that...'. Well, the time came and I thought it would just tie the whole base together nicely. I'm glad you approve!

Simply phenomenal stuff... something truly to remember and be proud of. Such great work my friend. Congrats on an amazing project completed. Cheers man!
Cheers bud! The great thing is, I get to work on my next project...and I seem to have a box of 3 Imperial Heroes and 3 Eldar Heroes too...Hmmmmmm...whi ch to choose?

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2017, 04:26:39 PM »
I think Cavalier has nicely put what everyone else is thinking and it is hard to add anything meaningful after all of his enthusiasm.

Your Black Orc is brilliant and somehow the colour scheme really adds something to the aggressive nature of the model.

The diorama base is bloody brilliant. The faded white of the score line (?) looks just like a well worn footie pitch should and those leaves are some of the best basing material that I have seen. Did you have to paint them?

"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2017, 04:57:05 PM »
I think Cavalier has nicely put what everyone else is thinking and it is hard to add anything meaningful after all of his enthusiasm.

Your Black Orc is brilliant and somehow the colour scheme really adds something to the aggressive nature of the model.

The diorama base is bloody brilliant. The faded white of the score line (?) looks just like a well worn footie pitch should and those leaves are some of the best basing material that I have seen. Did you have to paint them?

Thanks Alienscar, I'm really pleased you like the scene. I just hope that everyone down at my GW likes it too!

The basing material is a product called natural leaf litter, from http://www.greenworldstuff.com - It doesn't require painting, just slap down some PVA and poor it on. I do need to add some purity seal though, as it has a slightly tenuous grasp on the base.

I also had to explain to my wife that I couldn't have just used Oregano. And no, it wasn't dried basil either. And no, we definitely aren't putting it in the meatball sauce...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:41:46 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2017, 05:07:37 PM »
Your wife sounds like a modelling genius. Why buy expensive stuff when you can use stuff from your own kitchen.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2017, 08:22:46 PM »
love the diorama, great job!

I wonder if anyone's converted the blood bowl orcs into their 40k army :)

I also had to explain to my wife that I couldn't have just used Oregano.

It is interesting to see what other people have used for basing material, there are some youtubers using the dried ground coffee and tea leaves.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2017, 02:45:05 AM »
love the diorama, great job!

Cheers Magenb!

I wonder if anyone's converted the blood bowl orcs into their 40k army :)

That's a pretty good idea. They would have a pretty Mad Max feel to them I think. Even more Gorkamorka than Gorkamorka used to be! I think I'll leave it to Ynnead to try it though, as those conversions sound out of my league!

I also had to explain to my wife that I couldn't have just used Oregano.

It is interesting to see what other people have used for basing material, there are some youtubers using the dried ground coffee and tea leaves.

When I finally get round to finishing my Cathedral, I'm going to have to eat a lot of Pistachios for the effect that I want!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2017, 06:04:27 AM »
Holy Amphetamine Parrot! That thing is absolutely beautiful.
I'm actually a bit lost for words to be honest, I'd like to be able to pick out certain bits that I really like but every time I look at it I see something new and awesome!
Loosh, your painting is truly amazing.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2017, 07:50:41 AM »
Holy Amphetamine Parrot! That thing is absolutely beautiful.
I'm actually a bit lost for words to be honest, I'd like to be able to pick out certain bits that I really like but every time I look at it I see something new and awesome!
Loosh, your painting is truly amazing.
Cheers man! I'm just trying to get a little bit better each time I do something. Whether that be through a new technique, or an improvement to an old one. In this case, it was try to make a scene that told a story; where everything fit thematically.

In that vein, I'm probably going to be wracking your brain about airbrushing at some stage (Not now though, my airbrush is in the garage and it's cold as balls old there!).