News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Word of Aurelian  (Read 5427 times)

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
The Word of Aurelian
« on: November 1, 2012, 06:28:14 AM »

So with the new Chaos Codex now available I have been distracting myself from the more involved Minotaurs project with these guys. Ever since reading First Heretic I have had an itch to field these guys. So what better place to start then a 20 man Blob of Power Armour.

Let me know what you guys think:

and a close up of the OSL guy. I need to glaze this down a little as the colour is too much.. some dark green on the edges should bring it back in line:

Thanks for looking guys hopefully I shall have some finished shots of these soon.

- Martok
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:48:53 AM by M4rt0k »
Checkout the blog I contribute to here bloody-dice.blogspot.com

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
Re: The Word of Aurelian
« Reply #1 on: November 1, 2012, 08:45:30 AM »
Looking really nice  :D

How have you done your red? it looks very deep and bloody.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #2 on: November 1, 2012, 09:08:35 AM »
I really like the effect of so many candles on all the backpacks, looks really cool. It is also an extremely nice shade you have gotten for the robes, fits perfectly with the deep red of the armour.

I would recommend against the 20 blob though, it is seldom a good idea.

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #3 on: November 1, 2012, 09:51:09 AM »
I really like the effect of so many candles on all the backpacks, looks really cool. It is also an extremely nice shade you have gotten for the robes, fits perfectly with the deep red of the armour.

I would recommend against the 20 blob though, it is seldom a good idea.

Thanks Benis, I think with the whole army having flames waving in the wind it should give a nice theme. Also when they are all painted I shall add some OSL from the flames which should add to the effect nicely.

Hmm the army is a Blob army this squad and 60 Cultists as the core. It might not be the best but I shall see how it goes in all honesty I do not believe the new dex is a contender anyway. However, you got an idea? I haven't played with the new dex yet so if you can save me some play testing that would be awesome :)

Looking really nice  :D

How have you done your red? it looks very deep and bloody.

Hey man the Red was like this:

- Mechrite Red ( will likely skip this as the colour was off)

- Scab Red

- Purple Wash

- Start blending back up with Scab Red

- Scab Red with a bit of Blood Red blending for highlight

- Blood red blended for the highlights

Cheers guys hopefully I shall have more to show you soon!

Offline Benis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #4 on: November 1, 2012, 10:33:28 AM »
The candles should make a great theme, the second picture looks very cool so the finished squad ought to look even better!

I think units of at least moderately expensive models shouldn't go for the blob effect since it simply isn't that effective, you do not even get access to additional special weapons so there is actual little worth in having a big blob compared to two normal-sized squads beyond the actual look of the thing. You will also lack the option for rhinos which are as ever a very useful vehicle. It just feels a bit sad to have a cool set of models and then field them in a that is to their disadvantage. Mind you, I haven't played a lot of games with the new codex but I would be surprised if there actually is a great hidden benefit to horde them. It is however not a total waste, they are still solid Chaos Space Marines but I suspect you would be better off by splitting them.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #5 on: November 1, 2012, 12:56:33 PM »
These look sweet! Very 40k-gothic looking, great modeling and very nice paint jobs.  I loved First Heretic as well. Are you going to make Argel-Tal?
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #6 on: November 2, 2012, 05:33:26 AM »
The candles should make a great theme, the second picture looks very cool so the finished squad ought to look even better!

I think units of at least moderately expensive models shouldn't go for the blob effect since it simply isn't that effective, you do not even get access to additional special weapons so there is actual little worth in having a big blob compared to two normal-sized squads beyond the actual look of the thing. You will also lack the option for rhinos which are as ever a very useful vehicle. It just feels a bit sad to have a cool set of models and then field them in a that is to their disadvantage. Mind you, I haven't played a lot of games with the new codex but I would be surprised if there actually is a great hidden benefit to horde them. It is however not a total waste, they are still solid Chaos Space Marines but I suspect you would be better off by splitting them.

I think I shall make myself an extra Champion then and I was planning on magnetizing the special/heavies anyway. I wonder, what do you think about snap fire heavies? These guys will be moving forward behind a cultist blob so shall only be snap firing most of the time. Which do you think would be more worthwhile, an autocannon or a heavy bolter? Single shot weapons would be pointless I think.

These look sweet! Very 40k-gothic looking, great modeling and very nice paint jobs.  I loved First Heretic as well. Are you going to make Argel-Tal?

I am hoping to! I think it shall just be a possessed squad as an homage to his squad. Such an awesome book!

Post Merge: November  3, 2012, 09:02:41 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Hey,

I have made some more progress with this army this time putting a HQ together. This guy will be my Dark Apostle:

Let me know what you think and please give me some suggestions for something to put on his waist where the DA icon was removed.

- Martok
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:49:18 AM by M4rt0k »

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 07:48:17 AM »
So I have continued to work on anything but the stuff above. So I have some more WIP models this time some Bikers/Cavalry:

These are still a WIP so any comments would be helpful to get these guys just right.

Martok

Offline Benis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 08:11:30 AM »
So I have continued to work on anything but the stuff above. So I have some more WIP models this time some Bikers/Cavalry

What, no special weapons?

I personally don't like the use of Chaos Knights that much but still, you have done a good job and they do look quite cool though real bikers would have been cooler. :)

I have made some more progress with this army this time putting a HQ together. This guy will be my Dark Apostle:

Looks like you have managed to get rid of the worst of the cloak's iconography. Would be nice to see how it looks with a coat of colour on it. Why the power fist? Remember that Dark Apostles don't have access to melee weapons, only ranged weapons.

I think I shall make myself an extra Champion then and I was planning on magnetizing the special/heavies anyway. I wonder, what do you think about snap fire heavies? These guys will be moving forward behind a cultist blob so shall only be snap firing most of the time. Which do you think would be more worthwhile, an autocannon or a heavy bolter? Single shot weapons would be pointless I think.

Generally if you plan to have an advancing unit I would suggest going with double special weapons. But if you want the unit to be flexible and work both ways an Autocannon is never a bad addition, it has range, punch and rate of fire to be menacing to most enemy units.

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 08:22:10 AM »
So I have continued to work on anything but the stuff above. So I have some more WIP models this time some Bikers/Cavalry

What, no special weapons?

I personally don't like the use of Chaos Knights that much but still, you have done a good job and they do look quite cool though real bikers would have been cooler. :)

Looks like you have managed to get rid of the worst of the cloak's iconography. Would be nice to see how it looks with a coat of colour on it. Why the power fist? Remember that Dark Apostles don't have access to melee weapons, only ranged weapons.

Generally if you plan to have an advancing unit I would suggest going with double special weapons. But if you want the unit to be flexible and work both ways an Autocannon is never a bad addition, it has range, punch and rate of fire to be menacing to most enemy units.

Yeah I was struggling to work out a way of doing the special weapons while still keeping the wrist mounted look I might see if I can model a plasma gun over the storm bolter. On that topic though what would be the best weapon? I have an idea around taking flamers and then turbo booting for the save then if I am charged the flamers should put some hurt on via overwatch as well as the twin linked bolters... not sure though

The powerfist on the Apostle is a rules oversight.. i shall probably just remove it and replace with a bolt pistol then thanks for pointing that out though as I would have probably got through the painting stage without knowing lol

Currently i think the list will work out with the bikes and Apostle led cultists running up and causing problems while auto cannon toting squads of CSM move up behind to take objected and support. Then on the backline some cultists and a defiler (been building a biped one for  a long time maybe not the best option but it looks very cool )

Offline Benis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 08:32:44 AM »
Yeah I was struggling to work out a way of doing the special weapons while still keeping the wrist mounted look I might see if I can model a plasma gun over the storm bolter. On that topic though what would be the best weapon? I have an idea around taking flamers and then turbo booting for the save then if I am charged the flamers should put some hurt on via overwatch as well as the twin linked bolters... not sure though

I run with meltas but have had plasmaguns as well. Flamers I would not recommend given that the unit's own anti-light infantry fire is sufficient enough, better to load up on weapons that cover another angle. Which one is up to the rest of your list, if you lack proper anti-tank go for the meltas, but if you need more generalist fire that works against most threats go with plasmas.

Currently i think the list will work out with the bikes and Apostle led cultists running up and causing problems while auto cannon toting squads of CSM move up behind to take objected and support. Then on the backline some cultists and a defiler (been building a biped one for  a long time maybe not the best option but it looks very cool )

It should work, make sure to get some rhinos too since you will need some way to claim your opponent's objective.

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 08:37:05 AM »

I run with meltas but have had plasmaguns as well. Flamers I would not recommend given that the unit's own anti-light infantry fire is sufficient enough, better to load up on weapons that cover another angle. Which one is up to the rest of your list, if you lack proper anti-tank go for the meltas, but if you need more generalist fire that works against most threats go with plasmas.

It should work, make sure to get some rhinos too since you will need some way to claim your opponent's objective.

My theory for the opponents objectives is to have bikers and cultists rampaging over them :) Not sold on Rhinos thus far this addition but if i find myself stuck on the wrong side of the board its an easy purchase.

Thanks for the advice dude its helped me get into the mood of thinking the list through instead of pulling cool bits out of my bits box and throwing them together as I have been doing thus far.

Offline Benis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 09:25:10 AM »
That might work but I at least find it very hard to just foot-slog for the opposing objectives, from the lay out you gave it is only the bikers that are faster than average so don't be surprised if your opponent gets the drop on you from time to time due to your own lack of mobility. Now, feet on the ground is a good thing too so if you can beat off the faster moving threats you could manage but having some additional speed yourself wouldn't exactly hurt.

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 09:42:42 AM »
That might work but I at least find it very hard to just foot-slog for the opposing objectives, from the lay out you gave it is only the bikers that are faster than average so don't be surprised if your opponent gets the drop on you from time to time due to your own lack of mobility. Now, feet on the ground is a good thing too so if you can beat off the faster moving threats you could manage but having some additional speed yourself wouldn't exactly hurt.

Ah yes i forgot to mention I definitely want a heldrake so I am maxing fast attack choices. just haven't worked out how I shall be modelling such a thing. The Drakes number one priority will nearly always be toasting enemy objectives. I shall consider some more fast moving units such as terms teleporting etc and of course i could definitely run a rhino however, i would likely reserve it on and then flat out to get me hopefully where i need to be in time to bail out without giving up first blood quite as easily... shall have to play around

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 12:41:56 PM »
Wow these models look amazing! I especially like the Dark Apostle, the figure looks so much better without the scrolls.

I really like the way you have done the robes, which paints did you use?

The unifying effect of the candles are very good, and i love the paint scheme, cant wait to see more marines.
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 01:18:11 PM »
Thanks man the robes are a cheat. Simply dheneb stone with devlan mud over it. I blended the armour but i wanted to keep the robes quite leathery.

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 07:46:48 AM »
I received quite a bit of advice with this guy and some suggested I should remove the words etc around the edge of the cape as they indicated Imperial Allegiance so that is gone. Does "feel" better this way. Also I added a Skull to cover up the DA icon on his waist. Most significant of all the changes however, was the Angelus Bolter in place of the Powerfist. This came about as I was unaware that Dark Apostles could not take anything from the Melee Weapon Wargear list.

I am glad for the advice received and I am very happy with the new look. He somehow looks more stocky without the fist? All in all I am happy with it and cannot wait to get paint on him.

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #17 on: December 5, 2012, 11:02:50 AM »
 have been working on this model for about 2 years with very little time actually having been spent working on it. However, it is starting to get their. This Daemon Engine is affectionately called "The Freak" and is a Defiler with Power Scourge:

He is still far from perfect but I think the weapon arms are almost done. The chimney sorts out this issues I was having building some kind of power supply/exhaust system.I think next to see some work will be the head as he needs to look far more Daemonic. The feet need widening, the shoulder pads need green stuff rivets and I am hoping to use the Braziers from the Warshrine on them:

I could see the front of the shrine making a good part for the Defilers head. Maybe even the Stone Horn's head?

I shall have to work something out soon as I really need this guy before I can think about playing a game with the Word Bearers.

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 08:01:29 AM »
I have been putting paint to the Dark Apostle have a look and let me know what you think:

I am not sure about the cloak the purple does not seem to be working...

More pics on http://bloody-dice.blogspot.com";]BLOODYdice[/url]

Martok

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 10:59:57 AM »
ooh I like La Freak!

Dark Apostle looking good too! I would steal the idea but I already have 2 Dark Apostles!!