News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Host of Constellations  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Tannis

• Armies: Eldar, mostly, plus Tau. Chaos and a few others.
The Host of Constellations
« on: August 13, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
The Host of Constellations.

So I've finally got round to taking some pictures of my Eldar which means I've got no excuse for hiding them away from everyone but my friends and local hobbyists.  This armies an on going project that will probably never end as the Eldar allow me such a wide range of painting an modeling options I don't see how I can ever get bored of them or resist adding just one more unit or forge world vehicle.

Based around the idea of a joint host raised and resupplied by both Alaitoc & Iyanden the Host of Constellations has been given the privilege of calling upon such a huge pool of expertise and firepower because of it's assigned task, which is to keep the web way tunnels between the two craft world open and secure. They patrol a thousand worlds and float in the darkness in between, distracting the curios away from the web routes many portals and quickly moving to destroy any threat to it, striking with out warning and killing without compassion so that the vital pathways to between the craftworlds remains completely secure.

To date the army comprises of mostly standard GW models, although there are plenty of conversions. 5th Ed allowed me to collect at least one of and in some cases two or three of each unit and vehicle available in the standard codex.  The inclusion of allies in 6th and the release of a certain Corsair list by Forge World means that the host is only going to continue to grow with Shadow Specters being my next planned buy before I move onto a full Corsair detachment.

But the best place to start with any army is the troops, so lets go back to the beginning and the first units I organized.

The Guardians.
[smg id=4610 width=800]
Unusually for Eldar I decided to include metallics, mainly because I just love them as paints, but also cause my army is a battle hardened host, they don't always have the luxury of going into battle with pristine bone sung weapons and sometimes they just have make do with what materials they can find, plus shuriken catapults rely on electromagnetism to drive their ammunition forward and that only works on conductive metals and I figure that the Eldar arn't going to waste a bone singers time producing grenades, they've got much more important things to focus on. I could come up with a thousand other excuses but the long and short of it, I really like metallic finishes.

Squad devisions are signified by colours, you can see members of Jade and Crimson troupes in this picture. Each squad also has it's own heavy weapons platform and also banner bearers. Which you can sort of see in the above pic but is shown in more detail below. The Ying Yang, along with star symbols serve as the honor and identification badges of my host and feature on most models.

[smg id=4611 width=800]

The Rangers and Pathfinders.
[smg id=4605 width=800]

I have two troupes of Rangers, a squad of ten classic models that serve as Rangers and pictured here my newer troupe of 6 Pathfinders.  The older troupe features a rather garish purple and bone camo scheme on their cloaks as they where painted a long time ago before I even dreampt of collecting an entire Eldar army (At the time I was an Epic player) but the newer squad was painted to be more inclusive into the Host, following the blue and yellow concept.  I opted for blue cloaks as I felt it was slightly subtler than bright yellow ones.

There are plenty more pics so I'll be following up with many more posts over the coming days and weeks as well as going into more detail about some of the paint jobs and conversion work. Feel free to interject with any comments or questions though.  And if any of you see some aspect that you'd like to see more detail of just speak up and I'll see what I can do to oblige.  :)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:18:43 PM by Tannis »
"Nuke them till they glow in the dark, then attack at night."

Offline Boss Ard'Ragger

• Ork Yoof
  • Da Boyz Rock!!!
  • Armies: The Boyz, IG, Eldar,DE, Tau, GK, some SM
Re: The Host of Constalations
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 07:08:14 PM »
I love the colors and detail.. Awesome job Tannis.  Love to see what you did with wraithlords and prism's etc.  Look forward to seeing more  8)
You Boyz wanna live forever?!  Waaaaagh!

Offline Tannis

Re: The Host of Constellations
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 05:18:23 AM »
Thanks Boss, I'll get some photo's of the Gravtanks together as soon as possable.

But as I'm talking about the troops this would be a perfect time to mention;

The Warlocks.
[smg id=4616 width=800]

I've got plenty of them, from ones meant to be embedded in Guardian troupes to those chosen to accompany the Farseer's and Waithguard.  I'm even working on rules for a full on master Bone Singer that incorporates a bit of geomancy into the rules and base. But more on him later.

These two pictured are actually the same model. Envisioned as 'sergeants' for the Guardians both are in squad colours rather than the blue and yellow of the army proper.  The one at the right back usually accompanies the Storm Guardians while the front left one accompanies one of my standard and longer ranged Guardian troupes.  This one also features a weapon conversion with his singing spear made out of his original witchblade.  The blade was simply filed down to make it more of a spear tip while the haft was created by using long pins that had their exposed sections wrapped in green stuff.  The rear end is the power pack from an old Eldar fusion weapon, again this has been extended with a long pin with green stuff wrapped round it.

(Just noticed this pic is a little blurry, I'll try to swop it out for a better one at a later date.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:21:50 PM by Tannis »

Offline Tannis

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:02:43 AM »
Farseer & Honour Guard.
[smg id=4617 width=800]

Because it's a HQ I figured my Faseer had to be as dramatic and imposing as possible, which is kinda hard for a model designed to be elegant rather than obviously powerful.  Instead of converting the model I instead decided to go to town on the base instead, increasing it up from the one it was supplied with and using the extra space to mount a few scenic additions.  It's kind of hard to tell from the picture but the actual model is on a standard base, which was then stuck on the larger one to raise the Farseer up a little, this step was then disguised using slate and sand.  The poles themselves where made from needles, the spare armor plates from a chaos predator (sanded down) plus a chaos blade and some green stuff for the spirit stones and other details.

The two Warlocks behind are dedicated honour guard. Painted to be as uniform as possible (for Eldar) to create the idea of a dedicated guard rather than look like two Warlocks coming along for the ride each can still be distinguished by variants in things like helmet and weapon colours.

More detail of the Farseer and Warlocks
[smg id=4618 width=800]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:24:00 PM by Tannis »

Offline Tannis

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 07:06:33 PM »
Obviously the Host of Constellations, being a task force assigned to a huge section of the webway, is quite big.  Here's the full list of everything included so far. This list isn't quite 6th Ed converted yet but then the actual army list I bring to a table is constantly changing and evolving as I try new strategies in the face of new challenges.

Detachment One

Farseer with Singing Spear, Runes of Witness & Guide (or one 6th ed power) (Classic Version Model)
Warlock with Singing Spear and Enhance
Warlock with Singing Spear and Embolden
Spiritseer with Singing Spear

Autarch with Jetbike, Banshee Mask & Power Weapon
(In background terms the Banshee Wail is actually emitted by modified air vents on the Jetbike.)

Howling Banshee Exarch with Executioner, Warshout & Acrobatic
8 Howling Banshee's

Fire Dragon Exarch (Classic Limited Edition) with Dragon Breaths Flamer, Crackshot & Tankhunters
5 Fire Dragons

Shadowseer & 5 Harlequins all with Harlequin's Kisses
Death Jester With Shuriken Cannon (if needed / points allow) (Classic Models)

Wave Serpent with twin linked Scatter Laser & Spirit Stone (Forge World Version)

1 Warlock with Conceal & Singing Spear
11 Guardians with Scatter Laser

6 Pathfinders (Newer version sculpt, 1 limited edition.)

1 Warlock on Jetbike with Singing Spear & Enhance (Shining Spear Exarch conversion)
4 Guardian Jetbikes
3 Guardian Jetbikes with Shuriken Cannon

Vyper with Scatter Laser & Spirit Stone
Vyper with Shuriken Cannon & Spirit Stone

Waithlord with Starcannon & Waithblade (Classic Metal Version, model remains unfinished as I'm still trying to source an old style 'spirit warrior' head for it)

Falcon with Scatter Laser, Spirit Stone & Vectored Engines

Dark Reaper Exarch with Shuriken Cannon, Fast Shot and Crack Shot
3 Dark Reapers

Detachment One Extra's

Swooping Hawk Shrine Leader (counts as PL Baharroth)

Warlock with Conceal & Singing Spear
11 Guardains with Brightlance

Dire Avenger Exarch with two Shuriken Catapaults, Bladestorm & Defend (Can be swoped out for Diresword combo) (Classic Models)
9 Dire Avengers

Swooping Hawk Exarch with Sun Rifle
6 Swooping Hawks

2 Vibro Cannon Support Platforms

Detachment Two

Eldrad Apprenticed Farseer (New Style Model with Knife and right hand swoped for the 'cursed corsair' spear.
Warlock with Singing Spear & Enhance
Warlock with Witchblade & Destructor

Autarch with Madiblasters, Fusion Gun & Power Weapon

Striking Scorpion Exarch with Biting Blade, Infiltrate & Move Through Cover
5 Striking Scorpions

Fire Dragon Exarch with Firepike, Crackshot & Tankhunters
5 Fire Dragons

Spiritseer with Singing Spear & Conceal
6 Waithguard

6 Pathfinders (Classic Models)

11 Guardians with Starcannon

Shining Spear Exarch with Starlance, Skilled Rider & Hit and Run
2 Shining Spears

Vyper with Brightlance & Spirit Stone

Fire Prism with Star Engines & Spirit Stone (Warphunter style conversion made from the older metal weaponed Fire Prism)

Falcon with Missile Launcher & Spirit Stone

Waithlord with twin linked Shuriken Catapaults and Eldar Missile Launcher (Painted in Dark Reaper colours the WL carries a EML with added shoulder stock and pistol grip in his hands.)

Detachment Two Extra's

9 Guardian with Shuriken Pistol & Hand Weapons
2 Guardians with Flamers/Fusion Guns
Warlock with Witchbalde & Destructor

Warp Spider Exarch with Twin Death Spinners & Surprise Assault
6 Warp Spiders

2 Shadow Weaver Support Platforms

Night Spinner

Detachment Three

Farseer with Singing Spear, Runes of Witness, Fortune & other (or two 6th ed powers) (Classic Version Model)
Warlock with Witchbalde and Enhance
Warlock with Witchbalde and Embolden

Striking Scorpion Shrine Leader (Counts as PL Karandas)

Striking Scorpion Exarch with Scorpions Claw
6 Striking Scorpions (Classic Models)

Shadowseer & 5 Harlequins all with Harlequin Kisses

Wave Serpent with Star Cannons & Spirit Stone

6 Pathfinders (Classic Models)

11 Guardians with Missile Launcher

Dire Avenger Exarch with Power Weapon, Shimer Shield, Bladestorm & Defend
9 Dire Avengers

Shining Spear Exarch with Power Weapon, Skilled Rider & Hit and Run
2 Shining Spears

Vyper with Star Starcannon & Spirit Stone
Vyper with Missile Launcher & Spirit Stone

War Walker with Bright Lance & Star Cannon
War Walker with Starcannon & Scatter Laser
War Walker with Scatter Laser & Brightlance

Dark Reaper Exarch with ELdar Missile Launcher, Fast Shot and Crack Shot (M RA conversion with EML weapon swop and no banner pole)
3 Dark Reapers

2 D Cannon Support Platforms

Detachment Three Extra's

Harlequin Seer
(counts as Farseer with Doom & other, or 2 6th ed powers, Witchblade, Runes of Witness & Spirit Stones) (Classic Models)

Shadowseer & 5 Harlequins all with Harlequin Kisses

Shadowseer
2 Harlequin
2 Harlequins with Fusion Guns
Death Jester with Shuriken Cannon

9 Guardian with Shuriken Pistol & Hand Weapons
2 Guardains with Flamers/FUsion Guns

Firestorm (Converted Falcon with four paired up Scatter Lasers)

[smg id=4604 width=800]
Picture of the 'Harlequin Seer' plus two of his companions.

Huhuhhuhu. the extra's for detachment four got ordered today from Forgeworld.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:27:48 PM by Tannis »