News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Will paints...  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Fire at Will

• Oooops!
  • Armies: Orks & Blood Angels
Will paints...
« on: August 5, 2012, 08:04:08 PM »
So, I should probably write something about me here, but there isn't much interesting to put, I collect orks, and have a fully painted 3.5k army, and am working on a Sanguinary Host for Blood Angels as I wanted to practice NMM painting, so far I haven't finished a squad and I've had the models since christmas. :P I also paint some models for mates, so models not of either ork or Sang Guard might pop up every now and again, or a few models I buy just to paint. :D

Well, I guess I'll get straight in with some pictures!

My Sanguinary Guard:

Lastest Sanguinary Guard, Chapter Banner Holder:

An empire wizard I've made a start on:

The wizards base:

So thats my lastest painting, what do you think?

- Will

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Will paints...
« Reply #1 on: August 6, 2012, 07:46:27 AM »
The models look great Will. Especially the Blood Angels. Dante looks like the man. Looking forward to seeing more.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Fire at Will

• Oooops!
« Reply #2 on: August 8, 2012, 11:37:19 AM »
Cheers Cavalier!

Well, here are some more pictures. I've begun the NMM gold on the Sanguinary Banner bearer. Another different method, and of the ones I've tried, this one is coming out my favourite. But I'm posting here so it's not just about what I think, here are the photo's:

What do you think? :D

- Will

Offline Fire at Will

• Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 08:01:28 AM »
Some more progress,

Which NMM do you prefer?

Chest or leg? I'm tempted to have it as two separate, but not sure if that'll make it look a bit naff and as if I got the mix wrong on one of them...

- Will

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 12:21:53 PM »
What is the process you use for your NNM? It looks pretty nice, I think I might prefer the first method, as I couldn't even work out for certain if it was non metallic metal or real metallic metal!?

Offline Fire at Will

• Oooops!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 12:41:13 PM »
What is the process you use for your NNM? It looks pretty nice, I think I might prefer the first method, as I couldn't even work out for certain if it was non metallic metal or real metallic metal!?

Yeah, I think the first was better as well, certainly from the photo's. The only problem being, I can't quite remember how I did it. :P

The paints I used were:

Bestial brown + Small amount of Red Gore + Chaos black (This can simply be replaced by scorched brown, or any dark brown)

Add Bestial brown in the mix, building up to solid bestial.

Add in golden yellow until approx snakebite leather, maybe slightly more yellow. (Again, this is probably best done mixing to snakebite)

Add in skull white up to pure. I think I left it slightly off pure white.

My problem was, this is the same mix of colours I used in the second. The only thing I can think that I did, was I mixed in too much yellow so it became too orange-y. I think I'm going to paint over it and start the legs again. :)

Essentially, if you want to do it, I'd recommend, scorched brown ---> Bestial ---> Snakebite ---> White. I essentially am trying to add yellow to the bestial to get it to the snakebite, as I don't have that paint.. :)

Not sure what these are in the new range, but I'm sure if you can find a conversion chart you can work it out.

- Will

Offline Fire at Will

• Oooops!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »
So today I tried to paint the other leg in the method I used for the chest, just to remind myself of the method. I couldn't get it quite how I wanted, so I changed it around and tried something, and I think the end result is quite solid.

Be brutally honest, would you still prefer the other method or has this changed your mind?

What do you think?

- Will
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:14:22 PM by Fire at Will »

Offline Fire at Will

• Oooops!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 01:08:59 PM »
More updates:

Next on the list is to highlight around the edge of the wings on the back of the banner. That should help make it 'pop'.

What do you think?

- Will

Offline Fire at Will

• Oooops!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 12:55:56 PM »
And time for a triple post!

I have some different stuff for this update! I based my ork warbikers:

Then, I bought an Ork Bomber. Made it fully swappable between the 3 variants, without too much work at all. Still hoping to one day get my hands on some magnets and do all this properly.

Anyway, heres the pieces I haven't started on:

And here are the ones I have:

And the exhaust:

Think I'm going to do some heavy washing of the metals on the exhaust, but for now I;m going to leave i and see how I want to do the rest of the metallics. And yes, that blur in the last photo is another project of mine that needs to be started. :P

- Will

Offline Fire at Will

• Oooops!
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »
Now for some more painting of the Bommer!

Gretchin Gunner:

Bits and pieces for putting on wings and front:

And then what I came up with for the base:

What do you think?

- Will