News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first  (Read 26431 times)

Offline shanny12

• oops! I shot you now I must shot you again
What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first
« on: August 11, 2010, 05:23:59 AM »
What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first?
Me first my dad and the website and I got a Catachan starter army box set
now you
Walk softly and carry a big gun

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 06:23:11 AM »
Ah, this would be about nine or ten years ago now, so my memory is a little fuzzy. I believe it was some other kids bringing their models to school to show off that got my brother and I interested. Our mum obligingly bought us the Warhammer Fantasy starter box along with the rulebook (this was in the dark days before pocket rulebooks, for you newer folks), I took the Empire and my brother took the Orcs. Sadly, time has moved on since then and my brother doesn't play any more.

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 06:59:24 AM »
April 1988
White Dwarf issue 100 was on display in the local news agent and I bought it, not really knowing what was going to be inside.
My first purchase was the Eldar Spirit Walker dreadnought, as it was then called, which was showcased along with the original rules for the Eldar D-cannon.
I've been playing or collecting (or taking a break from playing and collecting), ever since.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:45:35 AM by Killing Time »

Offline Bassiecore

• Ork Boy
  • Insert generic quote here
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 07:19:27 AM »
about 6 years ago :o I was in America when my flight home was delayed for a couple of hours. We went into the Mall (in the airport! Who puts a fully functioning shopping mall in an Airport?!?!) while wandering, we came across the local Games Workshop (In an AIRPORT!!!) and the Battle For Macragge. I loved it but my little bro. didnt so it was about a year untill i started playing (and collecting) at my school club after a mate showed me his Tau. My first purchase was a box of Khorne Berzerkers and a box of Chaos space marines =)
WFB came about 3 years after when we went into Warhammer World in nottingham for the first time. I walked out with the High Elf Battleforce and my Brother had the Orcs and Goblins one, Sadly he dosent play anymore as it is 'too geeky' for him but oh well. He gave me all his stuff for free =D

Offline Magnum44cal

• Brothers! War calls you. Will you answer?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 07:53:25 AM »
My first experience of warhammer was about 5 years ago when I first started college.  It was the 2nd week the freshman were in the dorms and a guy was going around asking people if they played warhammer 40k, well since no one on our floor did he made the offer that he would teach people how to play just bring what you find to represent models and we could play.  So I borrowed salt shakers, chess pieces and I was able to find a G.I. Joe action figure.  After I played a few games with my poorly proxied army I was ready to start playing but I would not buy the AoBR till a few years later after I got my first paid internship.

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 08:13:41 AM »
I started with Fighting Fantasy books, progressed to the Advanced Fighting Fantasy RPG, advanced to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, picked up the Realms Of Chaos: Slaves To Darkness expansion which also covert WFB and 40K and then went and bought Rogue Trader under the mistaken idea it was WFRP in a sci-fi universe.

A few games were played with the paper cut outs in the back of the RT book and soon after that I picked up a couple of RTB-01 box sets.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline IainC

• Mad prophet of the Whalepocalypse
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Not Safe For Work
    • Antipwn
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 08:48:03 AM »
I started playing with a friend of mine from school who used to do basic (red box) D&D with me. His dad came home from London one day with a bunch of miniatures in ziplock bags (which is how they were sold back in the day) and we worked out our own rules for them. After a while we became aware that there were real rules so we bought the newly released 2nd ed Warhammer Fantasy battles between the two of us. The first thing I can remember buying for myself was the RR4 set Mengil Manhide's regiment of renown, in fact I bought two sets at once because I wanted the veteran and the standard bearer and you only got one command figure per pack..
World's first ever Dark Eldar player... Don't be hatin' now.

My wargaming and painting blog

My games industry blog

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 01:04:21 PM »
I remember waaaaay back in '98 i was flipping through the CCG magazine InQuest and i saw an article on Epic 40,000 and i stared at the pictures of tiny Imperial Fist tanks and drooled over them after i read the article over and over. If i recall the first thing i bought was the Epic 40k starter box, but i had so much Epic stuff its hard to remember.

Fast forward a few years to when i was in college and i went with a friend to a CCG store that carried 40k and i picked up the CSM Land Raider and knew it must be mine. I still have and use that LR.

legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline DeadDuck1015

• Armies: Imperial Guard, Vampire Counts
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 01:07:52 PM »
Well, my 'first' experience with 40k was many years ago, my cousin showed me his army (marines, I believe) and explained the game, I was interested, but had neither the time nor money to pursue it. Fast forward to the release of Dawn of War, I pick it up and think "Hey, this looks familiar..." after playing that for long enough, it was really only a matter of time before I picked up the Guard codex. I've been collecting and painting ever since.
"Our end is come, but what an end! We have been given the most precious gift: a chance to roar our defiance into the foe that overwhelms us with their numbers. Let the Emperor Himself hear our final battle cry! Forward, warriors of the Guard, and die like the heroes you are!"

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 01:14:42 PM »
Heroquest was the inspiration for getting me interested in gaming in general, but it was the combination of White Dwarf 127 and the original Fire Dragon Exarch model, which made me want to play Warhammer 40,000.  Warhammer 40K was, therefore, my first table top game, and I've been playing it, and the Eldar, since 1990.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline shanny12

• oops! I shot you now I must shot you again
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 05:28:42 PM »
well my dad brought the cadian box set and I brought the catachan box set and a jungle fighters box set about 2 years ago and I keep mine and my dads Guard
Walk softly and carry a big gun

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 05:42:52 PM »
It'll be dead on 4 years in a couple of days. How time flies.

My brother did it back when I was 6, when Dark Eldar first rolled around I believe. Of course I thought it was cool as hell, but never bought them because it was too hard etc. The Furioso Dread stuck in my head for years on merit of being a massive robot with claws, and when I was 14 and finally bored of action figures and suchlike I wandered in to GW to see how things were. Bought a Marine Captain and started Blood Angels 2 days later.

Offline Mon'Tau

• Corporal Max McPherson - dual shotguns and glory | Meat Hater Magnet
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hello Ground. Will you be my friend?
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 07:27:13 PM »
I started when I moved to the UK, coming up on... 9 years now I think. I'd only been here about a month, and the couple of friends I had made at that point were interested, so we all waded in at once. One of them went Tyranids, one Eldar, and I went Tau. Sadly, the Eldar player stopped not that long after. But the Tyranid player and I are still semi-regular opponents.

As for my first purchase, it was a box of Fire Warriors, and an Ethereal. Those guys have all been in every game I have played with my Tau for all those years. First as a normal Fire Warrior team and an Ethereal, and now as his Honour Guard.
The Diplomacy League - give it a look.

Well played. Drybrushing is the future *twitch*
beslubber you sheepz!  :P

You know you play too much Diplomacy when you have more PM's than forum posts.

Offline Kilcin

• Trees for the Tree god!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 07:58:28 PM »
I started sometime around the 6th grade, when Warhammer 40k 2nd edition was all the rage; I had a friend who played because his older brother did. I started off with a squad of Marines, then some Fire Dragons, then I bought an Eldar army of a friend and played them since 2nd edition. My Eldar army looks funky with the old Rogue trader era stuff mixed in with everything between then and now.
Beware of splinters.

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
  • Rule #1: Pillage THEN burn.
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 08:37:25 PM »
Well first I played the Dawn of War computer game. Then I saw the Imperial Guard faction. And that was that.

"You know the other team is f'd when we're using military hand signals to communicate  :P" -My Buddy Himitsu

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Death is no respite from War"
    • Behind the lines gaming blog
  • Armies: Tau (Jar'kai Sept);Tanith 1st;Phantine Skyborne IG
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 09:38:13 PM »
my buddy played Space marines and kept telling me about them. About that time another buddy of mine was starting IG. Eventually they sucked me in around mid 4th edition and got me hooked. I started out on tau with a just a fire warrior squad. Got a battle force for Christmas and away i went. Never really won a against my friends Black templars but alais, i stuck at it.  Good times when the old tau gun line use to work  :'(

Record:                                    W/L/D
Jar'kia Sept:                                  5/6/3
Tanith 1st:                                    2/0/2

my blog:  Behind the Lines gaming

Offline Robin de Tolens

• Commorragh's Hair Stylist
  • Behold, lessser races, for you face your Doom now!
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 07:09:43 AM »
I don't remember the first time I heard about Warhammer & 40K, but I do remember in high school a friend that brought a CSM bike he recently bought, and although I was interested, I found it too expensive. It is also at around that same period that DoW was released, and little by little I wanted to play the tabletop game. Now about a year and a half ago, I started Dark Eldar. I only play occasionally but I do enjoy it :)
Rapid Fire - You don't need to be a better shot, you just need to fire more splinters!

Slaves? No... your women, your elder, your sons will be slaves! But you... by midnight this day, you will be raped men. - Blooded Rose motto

Kabal of the Blooded Rose (W/D/L) : 2/0/0
Latest slaves : 1 Chaos Terminator & 1 Havoc

Kabal of the Blooded Rose's stories

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 07:18:40 AM »
Back in the late 90s one of my mates brought some little toy soldiers to school and got a load of us into it. When we went into Games Workshop I saw this massive thing called a Screamer Killer and thought it looked pretty sweet. And the rest is history.

EDIT: Now I come to think about it I think it was abuot 95 or 96 by now. I started EARLY
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:20:54 AM by Chuckles »
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Preedy1978

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »
 *cough* When Rogue Trader came out. 1987, was when I first heard about it all and got interested. I didn't really have any money in those days though, so I didn't really get into the whole thing in a more collecting way until 2nd edition came out. I also played Space Marine a lot too. I loved that game.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 10:15:11 AM »
1999, my brother brought home some space marines we spilt the boxset and I got Dark Eldar! It was a great army back in the day but after a bit I started collecting White Scars which I regard as my true army! (Even when they're on break!)

Doesn't really count as starting playing but I did first encounter 40K when my friend showed me a handful of marines in the early ninties, we even played a brief game using some rules we made up pretty much on the spot using some airfix tanks and artillery pieces as heavy support.... we had to make up a ruleset because my friend didn't know the rules for second edition 40K as they where heinously complicated. :D
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014