News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: IG: Voxcasters and platoon command squads.  (Read 951 times)

Offline *Striker*

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • "Oh, all you have left to fire is the flashlights"
IG: Voxcasters and platoon command squads.
« on: July 25, 2007, 10:47:23 AM »
I was just fiddling around with an army list the other day where I was considering using vox casters in the army.  This led to a possible idea of mine when I read how the vox caster works.  Since it gives the leadership of the HQ(in this case with a heroic senior officer) to any one squad, one of these could be the platoon command squad.  Could squads within 12 inches of the Lt. of that platoon command squad then not only benefit from the leadership of the Lt. but the superior leadership of the Heroic Senior Officer? This would, in effect, create a second leadership 9 bubble from the heroic senior officer.

This could go either way depending how you interpret the wording of the rules.  I'm not sure If i possibly found an effective combo or am just thinking like a cheesy rules lawyer.

Offline StraightSilver

Re: IG: Voxcasters and platoon command squads.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 11:11:19 AM »
I have a feeling that the Vox caster only applies to the squad when it actually makes the test, rather than for the whole turn.

I don't believe the effects of the Voxcaster last any longer than this, so I don't believe you could use its effects as you describe, but I need to check the exact wording.
Dig in, and wait for winter.

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
Re: IG: Voxcasters and platoon command squads.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 11:23:29 AM »
Mr. Parsons is correct - the officer's leadership rule does not "give" a squad the leadership of the officer, but merely allows it to "use" his leadership value for certain tests.  The same is true for the vox network, which simply alters the way the officer's leadership may be used.  SInce the second officer's leadership value does not change when he uses the first officer's leadership, it doesn't affect the leadership granted by his own leadership radius.

In most cases, this is a distinction with no difference - it does, however, prevent what the Lt. was suggesting.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera