News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "Clense and Purify" Chapter Trait--cost  (Read 983 times)

Offline hobo1430

"Clense and Purify" Chapter Trait--cost
« on: June 22, 2007, 05:38:45 PM »
The "Clense and Puify" chapter says a SM may replace their lascannon for a melta-gun etc. When you do this, do you pay the lascannon price (for points) or the meltagun price (for points).  I think the former, but I can easily argue the later.  Does anyone know if there is an official ruling on this?

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
Re: "Clense and Purify" Chapter Trait--cost
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 05:39:47 PM »
You pay the points for a Lascannon, but get a Meltagun instead.
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

Offline Nick The Second

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 05:53:28 PM »
you answered your question yourself 8) the rule states 'you replace', but not 'you buy instead'. you simply take a lascannon at its point cost and then swap it for another weapon with no penalty
Blood runs! Anger rises! Death wakes! War calls!

Offline BrotherTerran

• good, bad, I'm the kitty with the gun
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 08:08:50 PM »
I'd say go with you common sense/gut feeling and use the meltagun points.  However, just ask your opponent before a match or an official at a tournament.  Replace, could be interpreted as merely swapping the weapon with no point change OR replacing the option of lascannon with the option of a meltagun points and all.  However, I'm a big believer in common sense even if GW isn't, so I'd go with the meltagun price for the points.
"Its the thought that counts, but the results that matter"

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 08:13:39 PM »
No.  You pay more for a second special weapon because it is a premium option, you don't simply get to choose to take a second one.

If that were the case, the wording would be "If the squad does not take a Heavy Weapon, it may take a second Special Weapon for the cost indicated." like it does in Codex: Chaos Space Marines.
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 07:55:36 AM »
I agree, it says replace the weapon, not replace the upgrade entry or points cost or suchlike so thats all you do. You pay lascannon points, then replace the lascannon with a metlagun. Theres really no other way to try and read this...
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline kerg

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 01:12:32 PM »
Look at it this way, the only way you can replace something is if you buy it first.