News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Khorne/Nurgle 1500 point army list - looking for advice  (Read 3699 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Khorne/Nurgle 1500 point army list - looking for advice
« on: September 17, 2015, 09:58:36 PM »
So I've been battling my old chaos army with my even older ork army and the orks are doing a good job krumping my traitor marines. I wanted to come up with not only a solid list to give the orks a run for their money, but one with good flavour and modeling/painting potential. The list I came up with is built with a core of my old models plus a few new acquisitions. I love the idea of a nurgle only army, but I had to include my buddy Kharn, as he has been solid in every game I've played against him in 7th and we have just too much history. I'm open for any suggestions on tweaking or dropping/adding units, but I really want to stick with the core idea of the list. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I appreciate any input you have.

Kharn The Betrayer (160) (goes with berzerkers)
Chaos Lord Mark of Nurgle, Gift of Mutation, Blight Grenade, Power Weapon (110) (goes with chosen)

Chosen x 4 + champion Mark of Nurgle w/ x 4 plasma (165)
Helbrute (105)

Khorne Berzerkers x 9 + champion (200)
Plague Marines x 4 + champion w/ melta (130)
Plague Marines x 4 + champion w/ melta (130)

Chaos Spawn Mark of Nurgle x 2 (72)

Obliterator Mark of Nurgle x 3 (228)
Havocs x 4 + champion w/ x3 autocannon,lascannon (125)

[1497]

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Khorne/Nurgle 1500 point army list - looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 09:16:21 AM »
My primary question about this list is "why is everyone on foot?"

You could save this list a lot of pain against orks (and a lot of things, honestly) with a couple Rhinos with Havoc Launchers or combiweapons floating around. Even if the troops don't ride, they are cheap assault blockers, cover, LOS obstructions, and their cheap weapon options can also make them useful supporting fire.

Second thing: if you're set on using Kharn, stick him and his buddies in a Land Raider. I know, I know--they're overpriced--but the capacity to deliver that CC monster almost anywhere you want without getting him shot up is priceless.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 09:17:32 AM by Wyddr »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 03:38:25 PM »
I was thinking of using the spawn as assault blockers and combat tarpits. I like the idea of a land raider, but what would you drop? Two rhinos and a land raider would amount to about 20% of the current list. Maybe I could try for a solid nurgle list, dropping kharn and the berzerkers for another hq and some more toys.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 05:39:45 PM »
I don't think the Chaos Lord or the Hellbrute are adding that much. Ditch them and you're shaving distance from a Land Raider. If you drop one group of Spawn, you can afford the Raider and a Rhinos for the Chosen, which I would consider essential.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 07:18:40 PM »
The best reason to take the lord is to get the plague marines as troops. If I drop him, I'll have to take another unit of vanilla marines or berzerkers to have the minimum for a cad. I could move the chosen to regular marines in that case, but it seems like I'd be taking them as a tax. Any thoughts on how the chosen and havics are kitted? Are they a worthwhile choice?

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 10:27:11 AM »
Ah, yes--good point about the Nurgle Lord. I do like Plague Marines (though melta is a bit short ranged for them if they're walking. Plasma?).

The problem the chosen have is they are a big investment for a 5-wound unit with no ride and no invul. I wouldn't call them cost effective (as much as I like Chosen, they are pretty much never cost effective). The Rhino I would say would be the minimum adjustment needed to make them more useful. A 165 point unit shooting 4 plasma shots a round is pretty lame--they need to drive up and deliver pain. I think probably one of the more interesting Chosen builds (especially against Orks) would be 4 flamers and a champ kitted for CC + tanking HQ. Drive up, incinerate many orks, enjoy massive flamer Overwatch if charged back, kill them in assault, move on.

As for the Havocs, I do like them. I would take all autocannons, personally (I hate mixing weapons on fire support squads). You *could* drop them and leave the shooting at long range to the Oblits. If you drop them + Hellbrute you can pretty much buy your Land Raider (and get back two Lascannons), which I would say would be worth it. The Orks in particular will have a hell of a time stopping a Land Raider and when Kharn jumps out, he can probably clear your area of any walkers that might threaten it in CC. Then you can Lascannon away!

I still think, though, you should drop a spawn or two to buy your Chosen a ride, ideally with some kind of weapon attachment (Havoc Launcher and combiflamers are both worth it). 

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 10:46:26 PM »
Ya, I think I'm just stuck on the chosen because back in the day you used to be able to infiltrate them. I gotta get with the times  ::)

A land raider just isn't in the cards at the moment to pick one up, but I do have a few old generation rhinos I can spruce up. I may just get some havoc launchers on eBay. Without the land raider, I may just drop Kharn for now. In his and the berzerker's place I'm thinking some noise marines and Lucius.

Chaos Lord Mark of Nurgle, Gift of Mutation, Power Weapon (105)
Lucius The Eternal (165)

Helbrute (105)

Noise Marines x 4 w/ sonic blasters + champion w/ doom siren (122)
Rhino w/ Havoc Launcher (47)
Noise Marines x 4 w/ sonic blasters + champion w/ doom siren (122)

Plague Marines x 4 + champion w/ x 2 plasma (150)
Plague Marines x 4 + champion w/ x 2 plasma (150)

Obliterator Mark of Nurgle x 3 (228)
Havocs x 4 + champion w/ x 4 autocannon (115)

[1500]

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 08:55:44 AM »
That's an interesting one--no assault beatstick, but a lot more shooting.

Question, though: where is Lucius going? He's best in assault, but you don't really have an assault squad to stick him in.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »
Lucius and Nurgle Lord each go with a noise marine squad in the rhinos. Both are going to need to get fairly close to the enemy to effectively use their doom sirens and will be taking a charge at some point. The plague marines are tough enough to weather incoming fire and are reasonably good in close combat. Most likely use them defensively and to capture objectives. I remember playing chaos back in fifth edition you could fire your doom sirens from a rhino fire point. Is that still legal?

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 04:32:56 PM »
Sure, yeah. But why shell out for all those sonic blasters if they're going to spend all that time in Rhinos and then get charged?

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 05:13:39 PM »
Okay, I'm confused now. I'm not sure what applications you are suggesting a rhino for. It was mandatory for the chosen, that are higher cost than the noise marines, with the same shooting threat range, but not okay for the noise marines? Are you suggesting not to take rhinos for the noise marines? Are you suggesting the plague marines take the rhinos and the hqs go with each of those units. The point upgrade for the sonic blasters is minimal, so I don't see the harm in taking them.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
The point upgrade for the sonic blasters is minimal, so I don't see the harm in taking them.
Sonic blasters are Salvo weapons. The whole point of paying for them is to get their full firepower at max range, unlike plasma, which is unaffected by moving. If you go driving around with sonic blasters, you may as well just keep the bolters they come with stock. Is Ignores Cover that big a deal?

Plasma works best at short range, hence a rhino. Salvo works best at max range, hence no Rhino.

The point upgrade for the sonic blasters is minimal, so I don't see the harm in taking them.

I don't know. You're spending the cost of a power fist on those eight blasters and you really won't be getting much out of them. There's got to be something more useful you can spend it on if, indeed, you expect them just to get charged.

Oh, and for the record: yeah, Plague Marines + Plasma probably are better mechanized troops than Noise Marines. They have the extra weapon, the high toughness, the poisoned attacks, and you can still stick Lucius and the Chaos Lord with them. You don't give up anything by driving them around--they can still shoot out the hatch.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:50:40 PM by Wyddr »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 08:03:16 PM »
Gotcha, makes sense now. I'm used to running around shooting the doom sirens from the hatches of rhinos in fifth edition.

When I played against the noise marines a few weeks ago, they failed to do much against my orks because they could never get into range without getting blasted by kans and koptas. I thought the rhino might get them in range safely and provide cover.

I came up with a nurgle only list to help focus the army. The idea is to bring the fight up close to the enemy. I still have 187 points to spend to reach 1500 which I thought of either terminators, bikes, or havocs.

Chaos Lord Mark of Nurgle, Black Mace (125)
Sorcerer Mark of Nurgle, Mastery Level 3 (125)

Helbrute (105)

Plague Marines x 8 + champion w/ x 2 plasma (246)
Plague Marines x 8 + champion w/ x 2 plasma (246)

Obliterator Mark of Nurgle (76)

[1313]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 11:28:58 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 07:17:11 AM »
Since he's striking last, the Lord could use an invulnerable save. For the sorcerer, Nurgle's lore is pretty nasty for close-range firepower. Biomancy is probably better, though.

A cheap Nurgle termie squad would be handy. Nurgle bikes are better, though.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 09:43:53 PM »
Added 5 bikes and gave them two flamers and the champion a powerfist. Didn't give the sigil to the lord, as I don't think the black mace is unweildy and should be striking at his initiative. Going to try for all nurgle powers for the sorcerer and with a mastery level of 3 I'm guaranteed the trifecta and the primaris. I'll see how that works. Still a few points to spend so I gave the nurgle champions meltabombs to deal with any armour they encounter. Think I'll try the list out against my eldar before facing the orks.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 07:56:38 AM »
Oh, that's right. I knew there was a reason I only ever saw the Black Mace on Daemon Princes and thought it was Unwieldy. It's the AP, actually. Been a while.

Anyway, the list sounds solid. Good luck with it!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »
The sigil isn't a bad idea still, as it does protect against any kickback from the daemon weapon. I'd just have to trade the bike champion's power fist for it and I'd rather spend points offensively than defensively, but that might change after my first battle.   ;)

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 08:46:33 AM »
You *could* just buy the cheaper one (not the Sigil, but the other one the name of which is eluding me). You've have to cut less in that instance.

I'm with you, generally--offense over defense. An invul on your Warlord, though, is never a bad idea.