News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: IronWarriors list(All comers) of 1500pts  (Read 723 times)

Offline BaconTaser

IronWarriors list(All comers) of 1500pts
« on: March 26, 2008, 06:49:24 PM »
HQ- Daemon Prince
Wings
Wind of Chaos

160pts

HQ- Daemon Prince
Wings
Wind of Chaos

160pts

Troops- 10 Chaos Space Marines
Icon of Khorn
2 Meltaguns
Asp.Champ + PowerFist

240pts

Troops- 10 Chaos Marines
Icon of Khorn
2 Meltaguns
Asp.Champ + Power Fist

240pts

Fast Attack- 8 Raptors
2 Meltaguns
Champ+ Powerfist
Icon of Khorn

250pts

Heavy- 3 Obliterators

225pts

Heavy-3 Obliterators

225pts

Total number of models: 36

Now what i like in this list is that i can either use 3 obliterators to deepstrike near my enemie's front line as soon as possible and starting to reak havok or split them up in 2 Obliterators and use them as long range support against MEQ armies that uses a lot of transport like Dark Eldars. Now a lot of people might ask me why i don't have Rhinos geared up for my 2 squads, well here's why:

-The game table whe use is quite small, like 6'x4' wich is wide for deployement and short to get across. My Rhinos tend to put me more than half at my opponent's side of the field in turn1.So imagine my opponent....

- I don't like spending points on models that acts like shields or that takes away like 70pts of what i could of used for something more usefull( like Obliterators).

-Yes it's footslogging but theres so many armys that are mobile and fast these days, i want them to take the trouble to get to me instead of having my rhinos.

-The Icon of Khorn is somewhat responsible for this, has it is the Icon good for counter-attacks against even the fastest assault troops giving my squads a chance to get out alive and frenzied for more.

-I never had luck with Rhinos, even when i deploy them behind cover or use smokescreens( I'm the only one who ever thought of using smokescreens), they get blown up and leaves my squad entangled and sometimes lose a few important wounds.Sometimes i had good tactics with them but i just don't have enough squads to make a Rhino Rush that's quite affective.

-Because i have raptors?

Now out with the Rhino, i made another simular armylist wich it has 2 vindis,3obliterators,3 x 10 squads of marines with Khorn,2Meltas,PF and no rhinos and 2 daemon princes like the above. Now is it worth it to have 2 vindis or should i stay with my 2 full squads of Obliterators? It just don't feel right when i have 2 vindis/3oblits gives me more model counts rather than 6oblits.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 06:51:31 PM by EMVP »

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
Re: IronWarriors list(All comers) of 1500pts
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 11:20:05 PM »
WOW, it looks alot like my 1850 competative list, except I use more plague marines instead of the IoK guys.

DP's are good, IMO, the wind of chaos is a 'meh' choice... in my experience it does more harm than good.

Oblits... 6 of them is good at doing cover fire...I also associate IW with tanks as well... like the vindi... and also las/plas squads as well.  IMO, a squad of 3 shouldn't deepstrike... the are good already throwing lascannons/plasma cannon shots around.

Raptors look good on paper, but my experience makes them look wanting.

I don't know, IMO, IoCG is superior to all the other Icons...otherwise, just use the cult unit instead of the Icon-equivalent.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline BaconTaser

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 07:19:42 AM »
Yesterday my roommate and i tested the damaga potenciel of Wind of Chaos against lets say a squad of 5 to 10 marines. A Flame template attack on 5 marines with that power gives me most of the time the result of 2 out of 5 marines are killed,sometimes better but rarely gives worst results, and for 10 full squad of marines( at a right angle of course), i was mostly able to kill half of that squad or better. Thus its got its usefulness at some point but it mostly depends on how much models the flame template can touch. I would agree that raptors should probably be better off( for 1500pts) with IoCG as they already are combat freaks and more models is better for them.

Offline Sanctjud

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 12:53:17 PM »
The problem is that you take a weapon that will most likely take away the charge, so...if you don't use it, it'll be a waste of points at that point.

Meh, just keep the Daemon Prince cheap is what I like to do...they don't fail me yet.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(

Offline YuenglingDragon

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I'm a beer dragon!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »
I also find shooting powers of limited use on the table.  In theory, the damage is good.  However, I find that I am typically just 4-5" from the closest model in the Assault phase and can't afford to lose enemies because I'll lose the charge.  That's the reason I've switched to using primarily Nurgle and Khorne.  Since Nurgle's Rot can be used even when locked in combat, I don't have a problem taking it if I have spare points.

This list looks fine, if slow.  Despite my preferences against Wind, I think it's fluffy that a Legion devoted to siegecraft would have a power that is good for clearing trenches and bunkers.
Proposition beslubber wins by a landslide!  I'm the 2008 Space Marine poster of the year.

Don't listen to the drunk dragon...

Offline BaconTaser

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
I've just came back from a battle i had against an Ultramarine's army of 1500pts, and although i'm a bit disapointed in how the game went, i've completly swipped his army too well( his terminators ran off the table to add insult to injury!). His army was mostly body count as well but he had a dreadnought( dread vs Chaos is total point sink, my DP even taken a wound from the explosion!). I felt bad when my Obliterators had taken 950pts against Ultramarines, that the rest of my troops barely made any close combat accept my raptors who sweept a squad of assault marines and my squad of Khorn Marines only killed 6 scouts in CC( killed 3 in shooting). After Turn 4 it was over but there was only a commander and a librarian , and he proposed a duel my one DP Vs his libie and Commander, i accepted with nothing to lose( only lost 4 Chaos Marines in total), because his commander and libie are in the same retenue squad, i Smashed both of his Heroes together !!!! Poor guy was mumbling alone in the corner for 15 minutes so i bought him a soda.Now what i've learned so far...

-Obliterators Rocks!!! Deploy them behind cover to obscure LoS and when it's my turn they move inside the cover and fire!!!

-Maybe i should investe my troops with transport after all, if i were to fight against an army that is slow as well. But transports hurts a bit on my obliterators.

-Khorn beserkers might be a good idea for investment for like when i don't need assault weapons on a troop squad they can dish out marines quite fast.

-Daemon Princes with Warptime in my opinion causes more damage against the Wind of Chaos. Its very usefull if your fighting against skilled models or other MC( Like other DPs!), but if 4-5 attacks alone can't kill a squad of marines, at least an icon of tzeentch or nurgle helps a lot against those pesky power weapons and power fists.If paired DP are to attack a squad maybe that would let me drop the Warptime ability.

-DP are intention whores and does it very well, in fact 2 squads of marines jumped right at my DP and remained locked-in for 2 turns.

-Icon of Khorn on a squad of Chaos is ludacrous! with only 6 models of chaos marines, 5 PFs attacks and 20 normal attacks. Killed a squad of 6 scouts completly after my assault.  sick....

-poor guy....

Oh well, another victory for the forces of Chaos, spoils for the children of perturabo and wait..... is that a manifactorium with a blue predator over there?!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 10:00:43 PM by EMVP »

Offline BaconTaser

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 12:12:28 PM »
Question, if i take away both of the Wind of Chaos and use that left over points on adding models on my squads chaos marines and raptors would help?

Offline YuenglingDragon

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I'm a beer dragon!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 02:12:19 PM »
You could bulk up the Raptor Squad or get some Marks or other powers.  Lots of stuff you can do.
Proposition beslubber wins by a landslide!  I'm the 2008 Space Marine poster of the year.

Don't listen to the drunk dragon...

Offline Sanctjud

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 02:25:46 PM »
Hmm, 60 points:

1. Bulk out the raptors
2. Drop the IoK on the CSM and get rhino's
3. Get 4 more bodies in the CSM squads

Just some ideas.

My 7 Cents.