News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Liber Chaotica, Your Chaos Army [Pictures and army background]  (Read 200840 times)

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
Re: Liber Chaotic, Player Chaos Armies.
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2007, 01:25:09 PM »
great looking DG there Solitare.  I like how you've used elements from all editions.  nice DP with the warhammer head.  Cool Typhus conversion.  Nice possessed with the plague bearer heads.  nice color scheme. nice army.

later WG

Offline ETHERLORD

• proud member of Walberton Wargamers
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2007, 01:31:13 PM »
nice? nice!?
you've all got a bloody weird idea of nice! ;)

still liking all of it!
the dred with eyeballs and organic arm especially!

~EL~
"you want me to re-roll my what test?!?!" the banshee screamed at her boyfriend.
Strategy Game it think you'll like. and yes it is my personal link.
a town named 40k online needs you in its populace. check out its thread in the "role-play" board.

Offline Davo

• WAAAGH
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2007, 01:37:25 PM »
well here is my latest two projects, im still kinda undecided what chaos force to play so i just paint some guys at random....this time an Khorne champion on a bike and a Black Legion Heavy bolter dude...

heck i might end up playing black legion with heavy khorne influences :)

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • quod me nutrit, me destruit
  • Armies: Harlequins, Eldar, Space Marines, DeathGuard, Nids
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2007, 06:32:54 AM »
great looking DG there Solitare.  I like how you've used elements from all editions.  nice DP with the warhammer head.  Cool Typhus conversion.  Nice possessed with the plague bearer heads.  nice color scheme. nice army.

later WG

thnx. They're still a long way from done but I wanted a second edition style death guard army since I particularly like the deamons and marines from that period.

Even though the poses are not that dynamic and the models not as spectacular they just have  a certain charm.

I planned a further dreadnought and a dedicated unit of rhino riding fast attack marines. (have all my troopchoices full +1 and all heavies full +1)

For that reason I will also add a traitor guard army.
A bunch of early 2nd world war russian style tanks and corrupted guardsmen led by 5 priests and an arch heretic kind of preacher based on the C'Tan person with the scythe and cloack.

Web Ghost, those plaguebearers of yours, are they DIY? They look awesome!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2007, 10:14:23 AM »
Davo, the marines are looking good. Maybe some highlighting on the black legionnaire would be good though.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Davo

• WAAAGH
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2007, 11:14:22 AM »
thanks mate :) there actually is a highlight a thin grey one...kinda hard to see with my cam (phone cam quality)...I am doing an Raptor champ now that will be my black legion LT when he is demonic flight and 2 lightning claws :)

Offline ETHERLORD

« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2007, 11:32:22 AM »
the biker is of a good quality but (as said before) you need highlights and a nice bit of silver on the trims.

~EL~
"you want me to re-roll my what test?!?!" the banshee screamed at her boyfriend.
a town named 40k online needs you in its populace. check out its thread in the "role-play" board.

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2007, 12:14:13 PM »
Yeah, the Plague Bearers proper are scratch sculpted from green stuff.  The robed guys (which I call plagued ones), are converted from pestigors.  Robes sculpted on, faces hollowed out, plastic skulls added in most cases and resculpted.

later WG

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2007, 12:26:58 PM »
You're a menace with greenstuff then :D

I aimed ona  similar kind of project for my traitor guard.
I liked the renegades forge world offers but I figured I can do that with green stuff and have some diversity instead of having the same 10 guys in my army 10 times each.

Do you have any pics of the plaguebearers and plagued ones taken with some better lighting conditions?
The current pictures are really moody but a bit on the dark side (might be the screen I'm working with as well though)

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2007, 01:05:48 PM »
thanks mang.  I would go for it for your renegade guard, The FW ones aren't all that IMO.  I swear they were screw ups for the Krieg models  :D.   sculpting faces on you 100 plus guard army idea seems pretty daunting though.  I suppose you could use some FW ones and some sculpted ones and some minimally converted ones. 

for the photos of the plague bearers:  No I don't have any better pics.  I took photos of all my DG and IFs with a borrowed camera in one evening.  they came out pretty bad.  Although if you look at the pics on a Mac they look significantly better.  On a PC, where I am now, they look very dark and yellowed.  I since have got my own camera, and while I'm still no good at getting the white background, no direct light shots, I can do pretty decent table top shots.  and I've a program that i can edit with a bit now too.  I'll go see if I can snap off a few better pics.  I'm a bit sick of painting my Tau army right now, so i might go and finish what needs to be sculpted and actually paint these guys sometime soon.  My scratch Greater Daemon has been staring at me a lot recently too.

later WG
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 02:06:14 PM by web ghost »

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2007, 01:53:24 PM »
darn! just typed a brilliant sarcastic reply and it went gone....

anyways, what it came down to was that indeed those renegades look a bit 'experimental'.
The ogryns do look a lot better and I wanted to order some of them as well.
Wanted to convert some further ogryns so I can field 10 of them stuffed in two army trsnaports.

I counted having to convert 170 infantry models but I'll start with 70 to start with, then, if that works out well add a further 100.

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2007, 02:05:48 PM »
allright here we go.  these should be a bit better.  You still can't see their faces too well.  I'll have to paint them for that.  They were constructed with first a wire frame that i built.  then straight up green stuff fo the bodies.  Some of them have plastic skulls as a base for their faces.  this works well.  there a few odds and ends plastic bits in there as well.  Some hands on some of them and parts of the weapons.  The weapons need to be re done on a lot of them as do their loin cloths.  these guys are getting to be quite old as is evidenced by the usage of white stuff on a lot of them.  the newest dude is the guy that is mostly green.  you'll note that there are only six.  I need to do one more. perhaps i will document the process.

some of need some work on their muscles and hands and such.  the dude with the long staff is suppossed to have a scythe.  the bit keeps breaking off.  and the green dude, a pick of sorts.  I'll get back to work on these dudes.

here are some of the plagued ones:

there are a lot more of those.  but my card ran out of space, probably of rhte best as i don't want ot kill people with slower computers or over saturate you guys with plague bearers.  I also broke down and bouhgt osme of the newest incarnations of GW plague bearers.  all told I have 28.  I'd like ot get my hands on some of the older metals to expand my collection.

later WG
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 02:09:24 PM by web ghost »

Offline ETHERLORD

« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2007, 02:17:17 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
um....
spicy?
nice as ever what be-eth the white stuff? ???

~EL~

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2007, 02:29:36 PM »
Very good conversions indeed.
As I caught from the previous pictures, especially the poses really capture the plageubearers as portrayed in the images in the latest chaos codex as well as the hordes of chaos book.

White stuff looks somewhat more coarse then greenstuff. Am I correct in the assumption both products are from teh same manufacturer as GW's repackaged greenstuff?

Milliput appears to be a very nice putty to sculpt with. I'm trying to get my hands on it for a greater greater deamon of ultimate nurgleness kind of. When I saw the forge world one I did not like it one bit. It just looks so unsuitable for my army.

I currently have 45 plague bearers left. Killed some 15 in various conversions.
There are by my knowing 3 generations of them. The 2nd generation are the ones which most people refer to as the 'old' plaguebearers and the third as the 'new' plaguebearers. What few people know is that there was a generation before those, mostly based on similar bodies, all named by the way. I should be able to find out their names though. They are listed in the 1994 catalogue under archive models.

I could make pictures of the different generations sorted by generation as I have every plague bearer at leats once.

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2007, 02:52:09 PM »
indeed,  White stuff is basically green stuff.  It was simply a white substance that you mixed with a blue substance that gave a greyish putty as opposed to the yellow and blue green stuff.  They were using it for a while and then switched back to green stuff when they found out it was a bit toxic  :P.

Milliput appears to be a very nice putty to sculpt with. I'm trying to get my hands on it for a greater greater daemon of ultimate nurgleness kind of. When I saw the forge world one I did not like it one bit. It just looks so unsuitable for my army.

me too,  though it wasn't that I didn't like it, it was that i couldn't afford it.  This dude is pretty much on hold till I find a better sculpting medium for large surfaces.  grr:

and for size reference:

note that the pick is back for green dude and other dude now has a shield as i can't bear the thought of sculpting his hand right now.

on the generations of plague bearer thing.  I am aware of the different generations.  I was looking to get some of the second ed ones.  the first ed ones are a bit too old school for me (as in not sculpted well enough).)  If you want to show them off though I'd love to see them.  Plague bearer madness!

later WG

-edit

....holy crap!  I just sprayed the little buggers! 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 03:47:18 PM by web ghost »

Offline Deathklok

• Bad Trader, scam artist, not to be trusted. BANNED
  • Finally, I got BANNED
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2007, 11:38:42 PM »
damn, those are some F'ed up Plaguebearers, dude! I love 'em! I have the old ones (1st & 2nd ed.) as well! I also have three squads of 1st ed. plague marines! I am working on one squad for GD Chicago... if I can ever get their armor right....
And so, after much wait, BANNED

Offline the solitaire

• Stupendous Badass
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #136 on: May 1, 2007, 05:20:26 AM »
Greater deamon looks good already.
I like the peeled flesh look on him.

Greenstuff should normally work on larger surfaces as it cures rather slowly.
Thing is you'd need so much of it.

You used paper and glue for a base to sculpt on? Based on a wire mesh frame I guess.
I was personally thinking of using modelling clay, like fimo, for the basic shape, then detail with greenstuff.
You could give that a try for the head.

(the confrontation minis were sculpted mostly out of fimo, it serves it's purpose rather well)

That's going to be one big bugger.
Ever thought of useing the Tyranid monstrous creature design rules published in WD and (oh darn! just forgot the name of the 40k supplement books) to make a set of rules for friendly games?

The 1st edition plaguebearers do indeed not look as spanky as the 2nd edition ones.
With 60 of the buggers though I wanted some extra diversity :)
Plague bearer madness doesn't even cover it really :D

Offline ETHERLORD

« Reply #137 on: May 1, 2007, 11:31:49 AM »
@ WB hmmmmm... he's a bit big methinks
         how do you work mesh frame?
         it may come in handy for a convesion on a demon prince!

~EL~

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #138 on: May 1, 2007, 12:25:34 PM »
thanks for the compliments folks. 

the GD was actually made from just straight paper mache.  I had built a bunch of weird masks on some weird commission thing so I was pretty good at working with paper mache.  What I did was simple ball up paper and sort of sculpt it on with loads of masking tape.  I was able to sculpt facial features on the masks in this manner.  I then paper mached over the frame.   I figured i could do the same for a huge GD.  It worked okay but is probably not the best medium to use for doing this kind of stuff.  It remains somewhat flexible as if you push down it might tear.  It is also quite difficult to take away.  Some areas on the GD are too thick IMO.  the left leg for example.  there is no easy way to thin it out besides hacking at it with and exacto knife and peeling away layers of paper.  Clay as a base, or straight expoxy sculpt is probably the better option.

Etherlord:  it is supposed to be huge! 

Solitaire:  I was thinking of using the FW rules for Malbrothrax or Scabiothrax or whatever his name is.  Or just as a terrain type of thing.  But I'll check out those rules.  I should have them in an old WD.  and yes the problem with GS is that it takes far too much.  I've used three of the four inch cylinder things already and I barely have the musculature down yet. 

later WG

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #139 on: May 1, 2007, 12:28:41 PM »
Good stuff Webghost, I saw them before...You just need to paint the scratch built plague bearers and finish big pappa Nurgle there.

I have some progress done on my Defiler, so I thought I'd share it.

Still have a lot to do on him :P.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria