News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Two vibro cannons or one Falcon?  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Lockmaster

• For England!!
Re: Two vibro cannons or one Falcon?
« Reply #20 on: June 5, 2005, 06:31:09 AM »
I put them behind cover with a firing line going off the side of the board
Your point of fire has to be within range and LINE OF SIGHT of your unit, therefore, unless you are doing something a bit wrong, if you can see something, they see you.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline BIGChris1313

« Reply #21 on: June 5, 2005, 01:39:06 PM »
Im not trying to say they are better than the *ALL HAIL* all mighty Falcon, but htey are DEFINATELY worth considering for a heavy slot. Specially if your apponant screams CHEESE! if you field 3 falcons :S

And then what?  He tells you his army isn't cheesy because Marines (the only army that will ever call cheese on Eldar) are supposed to kick ass?  "Cheese!" is for the weak. 

I'll take my 3 Falcons.  Play Beil Tan and you can take a bunch of Reapers on top of that.  Play Iyanden like me and you can take Wraithlords on top of that.  Eldar isn't a weak list, but it sure isn't the overall strongest.  We must optomize where we can. 

If you want to win, triple-Falcon Eldar can be devastating.  For 210 pts, you get the most resilient tank in the game (except for possibly the monolith), which will put out 4-6 Marine-vaporizing shot and an additional 3 S6 shots while moving 12" and can even fly 24" on a whim while ignoring terrain and other units.  Do you know what this does for Eldar players in terms of objectives?  Hmm.  It's turn 4 or 5.  I'd better start making my way across the field while shooting.  Can't shoot?  May as well move all 24" to the objective this turn if it's late in the game.  Turn 6 and I'm across the board?  Who cares?!  I can fly half-way across the board.   If they come on in an Omega mission, they probably won't die.  Hell, even in a full 6 turn game, if you get the first turn or you can make good use of terrain, you have a good chance of surviving if you have enough targets.

And to the gentleman who said that he takes Wraithlords so that the enemy will shoot them, I assure you that's what I do with my Iyanden.  It is not often that I find an opponent who knows that the Falcons and Serpents are the real targets, not the Wraithlords.  You want to shoot my 2 T8 3+ monstosities.  Fine.  They are 240 pts.  That's not too much more than a single Falcon, and it's certainly more than a Falcon carrying a Farseer (Guiding every turn...), and it's way more than a fully-loaded Serpent. 

Welcome to 4th Edition, where Falcons are better than Wraithlords, and for that matter, everything else in the Eldar army.
"Jowicota, if my company's director of diversity gave a speech on Eldar tactics, it would pretty much sound like that 'everyone is the same and great and Jesus/Budda/Alah loves you all' junk you just spewed.  Unfortunately, there is no affirmative action for 40k units.  Some just suck.  All were not created equal." - Ed Maule

Offline Lockmaster

• For England!!
« Reply #22 on: June 5, 2005, 01:48:27 PM »
I would never take 3 falcons, it is beyond me to comprehend it, and yes, i am an eldar player.  Although you do have a point about marine players, despite the fact we never complain that they take the bear min. of marines in a tactical sqaud and give it a heavy weapon, and i didn't complain when a guard player i played took kitted out 3 leamon russ tanks in a 1k game (granted i won, but thats not the point).
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline Ashman

• Fear of Bovines. | Cool title here until Devern thinks of something better
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #23 on: June 5, 2005, 01:55:33 PM »
I am not kinding you guys when i say the Vibro cannon is one of the most under-estimated unit in the game. In a squad of 3 you have virtually infinite str6 shots upto 36" away, as well as 3 glancing hits per turn against ANY vehicle.

This is wrong. When you have three in a squad you still only get one shot. The three beams combine, providing you with the strength 6 -2 leadership attacks on any squad it passes through. This is why I believe having more than one vibro cannon in a squad is a waste.

Offline Lockmaster

• For England!!
« Reply #24 on: June 5, 2005, 02:00:00 PM »
6 -2 leadership attacks on any squad it passes through
Actually the -2 leadership is a massive bonus, it means that: a guard squad is in serious crap, a marine squad is in trouble, actually i could list every race and it would be simillar.  As for the strength 6, umm, tyrinid creatures anyone?  The vibro cannon isn't bad, it is just on the wrong platform.

Offline Sein-Creis

• Sandviken Clan Wars
« Reply #25 on: June 5, 2005, 02:12:50 PM »
This is wrong. When you have three in a squad you still only get one shot. The three beams combine, providing you with the strength 6 -2 leadership attacks on any squad it passes through. This is why I believe having more than one vibro cannon in a squad is a waste.

Thats where your wrong, if you take 1 its a str4 weapon.  And when i say virtually infinite, i mean there could be the entire army along the line shot and it would hit every single unit.

I also totally agree with lockmaster55, if it was mounted on a vehicle like the Night Spinner (double shadow weaver), or the cobra (D-Cannon), it'd be SO worth it!
« Last Edit: June 5, 2005, 02:15:31 PM by Sein-Creis »
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)  Long live the revolution!
give me your brains

2000 pts Tau Se'cra'te

Offline aisoran

• Fortes Fortuna Juvat
« Reply #26 on: June 6, 2005, 01:32:51 PM »
The Vibrocannon is a weapon of fortune. When you get off those precious few well placed shots, you smile as you watch your enemy scoop up handfulls of models with something akin to dispear on his face. He might even weekly mumble something about "why the hell do eldar players whine about not having barrage weapons?" Most battles after that, they attract perverse amounts of firepower. All that makes for a very fun unit, that in most games will do little but perster your enemy. But lets face it. Perstering, teasing, braggin rights, taunts are half the game (these things are also somtimes called psywarfare)

In my book its one of the more fun units, because its potentionally very deadly, but mostly very fun to field. Especially against the one who did the scooping in days past. So i field it when points allow it, but when not, the Falcon allways finds its way to the tabletop somehow. Allways fielding things that are tested and proven powerfull, in combinations long past the point of predictability, in the long run makes for borrng games. Odd weapons like the Vibro, helps keep the game alive and flexible, because they are part of a risktaking and experimenting style of game that is more fun to play, and more fun to play against. Id far sooner loose a close and exiting game, then have a sure win.

The falcon is one of those sure things, and the vibro one of those "what if" things. So in the end it comes down to style, and how badly you want to win.

« Last Edit: June 6, 2005, 02:43:15 PM by aisoran »
If you love something, set it free. If it does not come back, hunt it down and kill it

Offline Ashman

• Fear of Bovines. | Cool title here until Devern thinks of something better
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #27 on: June 6, 2005, 07:42:32 PM »
Thats where your wrong, if you take 1 its a str4 weapon. 

I suggest you read my post again. I never said that 1 wasn't a strength 4 weapon, I said that 3 combined was strength 6. Read the rules for it.