News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Farseer, Dire Avengers, Wave Serpent and Wraithlord  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Eadartri

• Jesus Christ is the Resurrection and the Life
Farseer, Dire Avengers, Wave Serpent and Wraithlord
« on: June 19, 2019, 02:31:54 PM »
I currently have a Farseer, several Dire Avengers squads, a Wave Serpent and a Wraithlord. What are your opinions on how best to use them and outfit them? Also, is it worth it to get a second HQ for the command points? Thanks for the ideas.
Under Construction:

SFCampaign.wordpres s.com

Eldar Unite! War Calls! Descend upon Medusa V!

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Farseer, Dire Avengers, Wave Serpent and Wraithlord
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 03:15:08 PM »
Definitely get a second HQ. Making detachments (specially battalions) is very important as the stratagems available are very important. Heck get a third as our HQ options are very good and you might want to use more than one type of detachment. A Farseer, a Spiritseer and an Autarch are always useful.

It would be hard to really tell you how to arm your units of that's all you have. I would actually suggest getting more units to better round out your army (specifically in the anti-vehicle area) but I'm not sure that's what you're going for.

What size armies do you plan on playing? What will your opponents be bringing? As it stands you have a small army and I would assume you're also playing sub 1000pt lists? I would put maximum shuriken cannons on everything at this level. Even the Wraithlord and also give him the sword. This combined with the Avengers gives you plenty of anti-infantry fire power and the cannons can still hurt lighter armor vehicles you would see at this points level.

There are a lot of suggestions to be made for building up your army but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for at this time. It's also a complicated answer.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 06:37:03 PM »
Really depends on your play style and point level. An Auartch on Jetbike pairs well with shinning spears for example, but multiple HQ's in low point matches means you have a much lower model count, so it tends not to be a great option.

Dark reapers, Shinning Spears, Crimson Hunters, Hemlocks and wave serpents are probably the best units we have in the codex. Guardians are a solid option now, but you need to give it some thought as to how you will use them (Full unit from webway is handy), Dire Avengers are still good as well. Everything else is usable for especially friendly games, but some units are better for different play styles.

There are a lot of ways to build your army now, additional HQ will let you run multiple detachments, but it is a common trap to build your army for max CP, pick the units you want to run and then see how you can massage the detachments to get CP.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 11:14:23 PM »
I would recommend bright lances and shur-cannon on wave serpent, flamers and either star cannons or shur-cannons on wraithlord. Dire avengers Exarch shimmer shield, the benefit of invul save for units. Either another farseer or an autarch is definitely a good choice. Honestly with what you have right now, in a small points game (depending on how versed your opponents are in 40k) it will be hard in objective games to hold much but if it's just a fun game will be great. Your farseer will be key in the games so position him well and use his psychicareer powers to bolster units. Kansas city shuffle your wave serpent and wraithlord.

Adding banshees or scorpions will really help out in cc, reapers for anti-infantry and anti-tank, for me my dragons haven't really pulled their weight.

Also, I mostly run Saim Hann, I prefer jetbikes, shining spears, vipers and grav vehicles and usually have good games with them, both fun and comp.

Hope this helps.   8)
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 05:30:47 AM »
Farseer on foot: generally speaking, in this edition, the spear upgrade is not worth it for a foot Farseer. Witchblade is a fine way to equip him. In terms of spells, always take Doom - this powerful spell is one of the things the Craftworlds codex is balanced around. For a second spell, Executioner is a good choice for direct damage, but Fortune for increasing durability is also fine. Guide is only good if you have a big shooting unit.

Dire Avenger Squads: I like to take these as 5-elf squads to more easily fill out Battalions and to have more Exarchs. A Dire Avenger Exarch with 2 Avenger Shuriken Catapults is good. The melee weapon options on the Exarch aren't that strong due to the low attack count of the Exarch. The Shimmershield is hideously overpriced for the benefit it gives, and in 8e, an invulnerable save on a unit of light infantry that's weaker than the infantry's armor save is basically worthless. 4 Aspect Warriors + 1 Exarch with 2 catapults is the way to go.

Wave Serpent: Normally, I give these Shuriken Cannons as their job is to be mobile. If your list is lacking anti-tank, a Bright Lance turret with a Crystal Targeting Matrix may be appropriate.

Wraithlord: There are basically two schools of thought here. The first is to simply load him up with 2 heavy weapons - maybe 2 Bright Lances - and call it a day. He can stand and shoot, and if an enemy happens to draw near, charging is an option. The other strategy is to give him a sword and strive to keep him as cheap as possible as he sprints up the field to start slashing things. Giving him both heavy weapons (which make him want to stay still) and a sword (which make him want to move) is a poor investment. Flamers are overpriced - stick to Shurikens on the wrists.

Add a Warlock to this army to gain access to the Runes of Battle spells and to allow to form a Battalion. From there, you can go in any direction. Wraith units, Fire Dragons to go in the wave serpent, flyers, artillery, maybe a squad of dark reapers - many options would work.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.