News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Roboknee's Ork Horde  (Read 5268 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Roboknee's Ork Horde
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 07:13:14 PM »
Hey Roboknee77!
Your painting is so neat and smooth. If these are your first attempts at painting, you'll be world class once your a veteran. Orks are a challenge for a first timer as well. All that flesh. So well done, mate! Keen to see your armies progress. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 04:00:00 AM »
Great work Roboknee. I think you've done a bang up job on this biker. Smooth and neat with your colours, good use of spot colours and a really good finish overall. If you wanted to take it to the next level, I would consider adding a bit more contrast to the yellow metal parts - a bit more shade perhaps, to help break up the definition of the model. If you wanted to go one step further than that, a full metal chips on obvious places like the front faring would really add character to what is already a very good model.

You're making great progress with your painting and it's showing through with each new model that you paint. Stick at it and you'll soon have a Waaaaagh to be proud of!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 08:22:10 AM »
Looking great Roboknee. I second the recommendations made by Looshkin. I think you've accomplished a fantastic paint job and it just needs a little grittiness added. Making the metal a little dirty and grimy is easy by adding some agrax earthshade. Add as little or as much as you want. Little pools of it add a nice thick layer of grime. If you go for thick application, just keep the model flat with the side you are applying to level with your painting table and prop up until dry. You can also start with thin layers and build up successive ones. Nuln oil shade will also help add some dirty effects to the model. Adding some rust effects are super easy as well. Use some typhus corrosion and then drybrush with ryza rust for a very cool effect. GW does a great YouTube demonstration of this.

These effects though you can all add later. I know you're probably itching to work towards a fully painted army and it's very easy to add these effects after. Keep up the great work. Your army is really starting to come together.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 02:32:54 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement Saim and thanks for the suggestions Loosh and Dog.  The tips for rust, shade and metal chips are they types of things I need, and like, to learn about.  I think I may go back and make the spiky bits on the front wheel guard and axle metallic to break up the lines, like you said Loosh.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 11:49:55 AM »
He looks great! As for weathering, there's a dead simple technique involving a little scrap of foam as a 'brush', dabbing it into a small blob of silver paint, dabbing it again on the ground (whatever you use to paint on) until it goes a bit speckly and then dabbing that over tye areas of yellow.

It does a really good job of making the paint look chipped and worn :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 05:47:45 PM »
He looks great! As for weathering, there's a dead simple technique involving a little scrap of foam as a 'brush', dabbing it into a small blob of silver paint, dabbing it again on the ground (whatever you use to paint on) until it goes a bit speckly and then dabbing that over tye areas of yellow.

It does a really good job of making the paint look chipped and worn :)

I can attest to that. It's called sponge weathering. It's really simple and it produces incredible results for minimal effort. I bang on about it all the time in mine and other people's threads! If you try it, do as Ynnead suggests; with one caveat - take off more paint from the sponge than you think will work. You barely need anything to be on there...and you can always add more weathering, but you can't take it away!

If you want to see how it can look, take a look at the Knight in my thread: Looshkin's Everything Thread - New Orc Giants - Celestine

To weather the whole model (with 2 colours), it took about 20 minutes or so. I think the shield shows the effect best. I used a black or dark brown (can't remember which) to show the paint chipping away. I then used a tiny amount of Leadbelcher to represent where the shield was damaged down to bare metal. So not much black, then even less silver. Works like a charm, takes minutes.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:52:52 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 06:03:54 PM »
Ynneadwraith: Learn so much in this forum. Have been weathering the old fashioned, slow way. Thanks mate.

Looshkin: Wow! Your marines and knight look amazing. You've got some serious skills there, mate.

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »
I've been meaning to thank you for the tip, Ynneadwraith.  That looks like a nice, simple trick even I can do.  :P  I'm definitely going to test it out when I have some free time to work on my models, been a busy week this week.

Looshkin, those models with the weathering look really nice.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 01:00:23 PM »
You and me both Dann! It was from Loosh that I first heard of the trick, and the tip of taking off much more paint than you'd think is really helpful :) avoids plastering the model in silver!

I think weathering and washes are two of the most simple wins when it comes to painting :) simple stuff that really takes your painting to the next level (which reminds me, I must do some more weathering). At least, it's certainly easier than wet-blending which I've never managed!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 02:25:53 AM »
I've been meaning to thank you for the tip, Ynneadwraith.  That looks like a nice, simple trick even I can do.  :P  I'm definitely going to test it out when I have some free time to work on my models, been a busy week this week.

Looshkin, those models with the weathering look really nice.

Cheers man, good luck when you get round to trying the technique!