News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 57415 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
So I've deviated from my roots over the last better part of a decade and started a new army with eldar. I loved the intricacy of the models and I learned a lot of new painting techniques building up that army. With the introduction of all the new paints I can honestly say I've been able to do things I've never even had the guts to attempt before. Now I'm definitely not of the same caliber, as a lot of the awesome painters I've seen on this board, but I'd like to put out some of the things I've been working on and invite any feedback to help me take my technique even farther.

In comparison to my freshly painted eldar, my ork horde, some of which I've had since second edition, is in bad need of a well deserved upgrade and I just don't mean a new coat of red paint. I won't be doing all of my army, as some of the models I feel are just too dated and with the size comparison between some of the old rogue trader models and the current edition versions, I just can't bare seeing them side by side. As well, some of the new models are just so fantastic that I will have to use some newer purchases instead of their older compatriots.

I'll start you off with two HQ choices. I have my warlord with Headwoppa's Killchoppa and an attack squig and a fellow warboss with a big choppa.

The killchoppa was taken from the nobz big choppa from the warbike kit. Even as a bloodaxe warlord, I refrained from using any camo patterns, which I would typically have on all my boyz and mech. The leathers are combinations of Steel Legion Drab, Baneblade Brown, and Zandri Dust all washed with Agrax Earthshade. I do my ork flesh using a base of Knarloc Green and highlight with an old paint pot of Goblin Green that must be at least 15 years old (they were by far the best paint pots GW ever made). I then finish with a wash of Athonian Camoshade, which I also use to shade the nails and teeth. All of his armour was done using Mephiston Red.

The big choppa was taken from the nobz kit. With the great expanse of the chest I had to use a significant amout of green stuff to reposition the arms to extend them from the frame and with the cross grip holding the choppa so close to the chest I had to extend the head away from the body. The blues I used a Shadow Grey washed with Drakenhof Nightshade.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:25:24 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Ork Blood Axe Waaagh!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »
Looking very solid! Nice solid application, bold colors and very clean I really like it. So nice to see an Ork project on the boards. Looking forward to seeing more, make sure you keep us posted!

Post Merge: August 10, 2015, 01:05:43 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Looking very solid! Nice solid application, bold colors and very clean I really like it. So nice to see an Ork project on the boards. Looking forward to seeing more, make sure you keep us posted!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:05:43 PM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 09:45:21 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement  ;D

My beginnings date back to the day when orks were always painted bold and cartoon-like. They were always pictured as your typical space clown. I've always had a hard time giving that up and sticking with the typical ork colour wheel.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 06:47:36 AM »
I think your technique is the way to go. Orks are an inherently fun army to play, and play against I think your bold cartoon style painting serves that purpose very well. Besides they are just gritty enough to blend into the new school, grittier portrayal of the various armies. I dig it big time.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 11:22:21 PM »
Alright here's the next completed addition to the blood axe clan.

I wanted to do a consistent camo pattern on him rather than multiple patterns as is typical of a lot of blood axe paint schemes I've seen. I started with a forest pattern, but painted over with a desert pattern, as it was looking to hum-drum.

I based the pattern with Zandri Dust, then layered in blobs of Baneblade Brown, followed by further blobs of Steel Legion Drab. I ended up washing all the camo in Agrax Earthshade which made the lines blend better, but I may have lost too much definition and I may add another layer of the Baneblade and Steel Legion. As I'm redoing a whole ork army I didn't want to have to buy a million paint pots of metallic paint to dry brush all my kans, so I found a great arcyllic paint line by Amsterdam and they happened to have a pewter colour that is very similar to Boltgun Metal. It worked really nicely with a 1 1/2" painter's brush when drybrushing.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:29:56 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 08:32:52 AM »
Looks great man! Love the weathering and the red wires are a nice colorful touch. I love Ork Walkers they are true classics. Keep those photos coming!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 11:08:46 PM »
I finished his brother. I did the camo pattern using Shadow Grey and Space Wolves Grey. Tried to keep the lines across the body parts as continuous as possible to help keep that camouflage illusion. Also avoided washing the pattern to help keep the crisp lines. In fact I went back over the desert camo dread I last completed. to bring back more distinction in the pattern by re-doing the Zandri Dust base and it gave a much better separation of colour.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:30:06 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 08:28:55 AM »
wow, these are some neat orks. I love the blood axe idea with different camo schemes, and yet I think they will all still fit together. Can we get a group shot?
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 11:01:44 AM »
Man this kan really are freakin awesome ! I love it the  paint is so neet ! and clean and beautifull !
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 11:11:33 PM »
Group shot as requested. The dread brothers with their big mek maker.

Next on the task list is my second mob of 30 boys!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:30:17 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 11:48:35 AM »
looking good! Keep it up!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar)
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 10:14:05 PM »
I've been plagued with MAS (Multiple Army Syndrome) as of late and I've decided rather than start a new blog for each army I'm working on, every time I get side-tracked, that I would lump them all into the same blog. This will also help with the long lapses between posts, as I will be able to update everyone on whichever army I'm currently working on. Therefore I've re-titled the blog and will present my new army I am working on, my Nurgle Chaos Space Marine army. I've decided to start with the plague marines which are all conversions from either the Chaos Space Marine box set or re-purposed metal Chaos Marines. I've tried to keep the conversions obviously Nurgle themed, but tried not to go crazy, over-the-top.

The above marines are mostly green stuff add-ons with an old school cleaver thrown in. Love doing the breathing apparatus change, as it is very typical plague marine, but I didn't want to cover the whole squad.

All the bodies were metal Chaos Space Marines that were without helmets. It was a pain in the butt to remove the metal heads from the models and dig out a sufficient hole to put a new one on. I found the skulls on eBay and at first the seemed too small, but I finally convinced myself that the fit the scale. The plasma guns I bought years ago from GW with the intention of making some chosen, but when they lost infiltrate with the new codex, I kind of lost interest in building them. As I'm making two plague marine squads, I've done up two sets of plasma bearers.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:30:36 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 07:44:25 AM »
Nice stuff! I think the skulls are on the perfect scale and the greenstuff work is nice as welll. I love those horned helmets BTW... are they sculpted onto the mini or did you add them? If so where did they come from?

Anyway very cool stuff. Can't wait to see some paint on em. Keep us posted!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »
I found the skulls on eBay and at first the seemed too small, but I finally convinced myself that the fit the scale.

I must admit that when I first saw your pictures I thought that the skulls weren't the right scale. The model second from the left especially made me think this. Like you though after staring at them for awhile they look great.

Next on the task list is my second mob of 30 boys!

What happened to these? I hope we get to see them soon.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 08:34:21 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys. The three plastic marines were actually from the four model booster kit with the extremely static poses. The third model I actually cut off the horns to make him different. They are so vanilla out of the kit that they just screamed for green stuff to make them distinct.

@Alienscar don't worry the boys are built, primed, and base coated, but I had to take a break from the monotony of painting the same colours on thirty models. I'm tempted to just paint them ten at a time in different camo patterns, but keep a similar colour range to keep them unified.

Added 3 more marines to the mix.

The Nurgle Sorcerer

And his new ride.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:31:26 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 06:38:05 AM »
Nice. I love that bike... though I think some more greenstuff to blend the head into the chassis of the bike would really complete it. What kind of list are you building for your Chaos? Any particular dex you are gonna run?

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 10:36:30 AM »
Yeah sorry Dog of War I agree with Cav whilst I really like the overall look of the bike at the moment the head  looks a bit unfinished and the wrong scale.

Will the sorcerer be standing on the bike?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 01:40:50 PM »
I've taken out the seat on the bike to have the sorcerer stand, as it was much easier than trying to hack the metal figure in half and try to size the proper legs for him. The positioning works well I 've together and I have an option to run him on foot as well. I decided to remove the green stuff I was going to carve a breast plate out of and I'm currently trying to modify a metal upgrade power armour plate to put in its plate. I could reposition the head on the bike to be more inline with the bottom of the bike rather than the handle bars. Originally I thought it was more streamlined as is, but I see your point. I'll try and reposition the head and graft on the new breast plate and I'll post a photo tonight of the changes. Thanks for the feedback guys.

As for the list, if you travel over to the chaos board I have one I've been working on, with a little help from the forum. I've tweaked it a bit to add a bike to the sorcerer after a game I had against eldar (see batrep posted). I can post the list tonight as well if you're interested.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »
By all means, show us the list, or even better, battle reports. It's always fun to read on how other people play the game.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 09:07:04 PM »
Here's a link to the first battle the Nurgle forces encountered. A triumphant win against the pointy ears. Included in the post is the first rendition of the list.

Nurgle vs Eldar 1500 point Relic Mission

Below is my latest list with tweaks. I'm hoping to get a game against my ork army this weekend, depending on if I can get an opponent to play them.

Chaos Lord Mark of Nurgle, Black Mace (125)
Sorcerer Mark of Nurgle Mastery Level 3, Bike (145)

Helbrute (105)

Plague Marines x 8 w/ x 2 plasma + champion w/ melta bomb (227)
Rhino w/ Havoc Launcher (47)

Plague Marines x 9 w/ x 2 plasma + champion w/ melta bomb, combi-flamer (285)
Rhino w/ Havoc Launcher (47)

Chaos Spawn Mark of Nurgle x 2 (72)
Chaos Spawn Mark of Nurgle x 2 (72)

Chaos Bikers Mark of Nurgle x 3 w/ x 2 flamer + champion w/ power weapon (145)

Obliterator Mark of Nurgle (76)

[1498]

Redid the breast plate and used a lot more green stuff to make the head fit. Kept the head in the same position, as it just didn't look right any higher. Oh well, it's the paint job that sells it anyways right ;)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:31:59 PM by dog_of_war »