News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rock Hard 1000 & 1500 pt army?  (Read 910 times)

Offline -Φ Ulfhedinn Φ- Servant of the Lord of Dark Delights

• Juggernaught of Fornication
Rock Hard 1000 & 1500 pt army?
« on: November 20, 2008, 08:55:01 AM »
Hey guys, just experimenting with my calculator here and going for a 1000 pt army ( numbers could be off ) it is as follows:

HQ: Eldrad

Troops: 5 man squad of Pathfinders ( to hold objective or sit tight)
Troops: 10 man squad of Wraithguard + warlock with conceal

Heavy Support: 1 Wraithlord with BL, EML, 2x heavy flamer combo
Heavy Support: 2 Warwalkers - 4x Scatter Lasers

total: 1000

Idea: Eldrad joins Wraithguard unit as IC.

ww
     ww  ww
     w E+S w
   w WL WW w

w= Wraithguard
E= Eldrad
S= Spiritseer
WL = Wraithlord
WW= War Walker

I guess the overall idea is a mobile firebase. I have the Anti-tank ( not much being used in 1k pts usually) and the durability. Conceal + Fortune + cover saves on the Wraithlord due to height on Wraithguard. Guide on WW's.

Eldrad Fortunes his unit + wraithlords as they advance up, mind warring Powerfists and the such.

The army lacks hard hitting close combat, bit has a great deal of resilience. The board commonly used is generally suited for Apocolypse with a lot of ruined buildings/cover ect.

Pathfinders sit back and enjoy their 2+ cover save at the objective or whatever.

This is for a small tourney game where only victories count and the team i just joined is trailing far behind and the tourney will be over in about 10 days( trying to help them out by winning as many and playing as many as i can - there is no composition score involved - so gloves off !). Most common enemy is Space Marines without a great deal of heavy weapons floating around. They like to take Shrike non upgraded termies (ie: no TH + SS - just storm bolters and power fists ).

I would like your opinion on this build and any changes that i could possibly make.

-Ulfhedinn-

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:40:55 AM by -Ulfhedinn- »
"The very touch of our god's breath overwhelms mortal senses with the scent of delight... the slightest purr of our god's voice is enough to stimulate the senses into eternal and blissful oblivion. To the followers of Slaanesh the mortal world is grey and insipid compared to the sensual paradise that is the master's affection."

Offline Adrastos

• Infinity Circuit
  • Echoes in the void...Death your guide.
Re: Rock Hard 1000 pt army?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:01:03 AM »
fun list for marching up the field. Sadly, you require 10, and no less, wraithguard plus a spirit seer in order to field them as troops. Not 9 + Spirit seer. To get the points without changing much, you could either take a small unit of jet bikes OR a unit of really basic storm guardians in place of the Path Finders.

I would suggest the stormies, this kind of unit will be a valuable counter-charge for your WG, who could get face-smashed in combat vs a few power fists.

Of course this leaves your objective un-defended, proving very difficult. In order to re-acquire the objective you could scrap a Wraithlord for more troops.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:04:16 AM by Adrastos »
I do not need to kill you Mon-Keigh, you will kill yourself.

Offline -Φ Ulfhedinn Φ- Servant of the Lord of Dark Delights

• Juggernaught of Fornication
Re: Rock Hard 1000 and 1500 pt army?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 09:07:58 AM »
Thanks ! I edited it just now hahah how silly of me  ::)

I took out a WL in the above list and threw in 2 WW's with SL's

Upon your advice i dropped the pathfinders and and took a unit of 10 Stormies :

Troops: 10 man squad of Storm Guardians + Warlock with Enhance
Troops: 10 man squad of Wraithguard + Warlock with Conceal

Heavy Support: 1 Wraithlord with BL, EML, 2x heavy flamer combo
Heavy Support: 2x War Walkers with Scatter Lasers

total: 1000

Idea: Eldrad joins Wraithguard unit as IC.

ww
          w w w
      ww E+S ww
   w WL SG WW w

w= Wraithguard
E= Eldrad
S= Spiritseer
WL = Wraithlord
WW= War Walkers
SG= Storm Guardians +warlock with Enhance

Stormies are now there to counter-charge if needed and protected by the walking wall of wraithbone  ;D

I suppose the thing that can be replaced are the WW's. Should I sub them out for troops?

Thanks for the assistance - keep it coming  :D

** Note - i can take 1500 pts. There is no fixed points limit as the amount is agreed to prior to the game. I was just trying to cram the most badass and toughest things i could into the smallest pts allocation  ;D **

1500 pt army:

HQ: Farseer ( Doom, Fortune, RoWit, JB, Spirit Stones) 10 Warlocks ( JB's 8x Destructor, 1x Enhance, 1x Embolden 7x Singing Spears { couldn't find other pts to waste on} )

Troops: 2x Squads of Da's in Wave Serpents ( twin linked EML + upgrade to Shuriken Cannon )

Eldrad rides with 1 unit of Da's to Doom and guide. Bladestorm death. Jetbike seer council causes as much havoc as humanly possible.

This allows me to have the ability to double back to claim the objective if we end up playing that mission.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

-Ulfhedinn-
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:40:20 AM by -Ulfhedinn- »
"The very touch of our god's breath overwhelms mortal senses with the scent of delight... the slightest purr of our god's voice is enough to stimulate the senses into eternal and blissful oblivion. To the followers of Slaanesh the mortal world is grey and insipid compared to the sensual paradise that is the master's affection."

Offline Fire_Vyper

• Decaps: That something extra
Re: Rock Hard 1000 & 1500 pt army?
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 09:49:34 AM »
I like it, nice and scary to anyone

But i dont think doom on the second seer is really neccesary, wound on 2's anyway so maybe another power like mind war/eldritch storm for picking out heavy weapons that can take out the heavy troops or Storm to make sure that tanks wont be able to shoot and have a chance of getting at their rear armour

Offline Adrastos

• Infinity Circuit
  • Echoes in the void...Death your guide.
Re: Rock Hard 1000 & 1500 pt army?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:56:52 PM »
I do like it, I also like your 'spear-tip' formation. The list is aggressive and in-your-face, just the way I like it. In 4th this would be a monster, but in 5th, you do lack one thing in the 1000 points list. An objective holder. Like I (meant) to say you could drop a War Walker for a unit to camp out at home...

At 1500 instead of changing the list entirely, you could just upgrade your 1000 points list with some more troops and further support. Such as a unit of scorpions. I did a little math hammer the other night on Scorps vs Stormies. 5 Scorps w/ Exarch and Chainsabres does an equal number of kills with shooting/assaulting to Marines as a unit of 11 Stormies w/ 2x Fusions. which roughly equals 5 dead marines.

lets say in 1500 you drop the stormies all together, replace them with 10x Scorps and an Exarch with Chainsabres (my prefered exarch upgrade). You're only down 57 Points. This leaves you with 443 points to play with your own objective holding troops and further support.

Just some thoughts.
I do not need to kill you Mon-Keigh, you will kill yourself.