News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 Orks vs. Eldar: Secure & Control  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
1500 Orks vs. Eldar: Secure & Control
« on: May 10, 2019, 02:16:14 AM »
1500 orks vs. Eldar Secure & Control

It had been a few months since my friend Mccomas could battle so we put together our armies, headed to a local gaming store, and threw down.

Eldar Forces
Craftworld Attribute: Ulthwe: Foresight of the Damned

Eldar Battalion

HQ:
Farseer Skyrunner w/ Guide, Doom, Seer of the Shifting Vector, Craftworlds Warlord, Shuriken Pistol, Singing Spear, & Twin Shuriken Catapult
Spiritseer w/ Quicken/Restrain, Kurnous' Bow

Troops:
10 Guardian Defenders
10 Guardian Defenders
5 Rangers

Elites:
Fire Dragons [12 PL, 144pts]
5 Fire Dragon & Fire Dragon Exarch w/ Fusion Guns
5 Wraithguard w/ Wraithcannon

Fast Attack:
7 Swooping Hawks w/ Lasblasters & Swooping Hawk Exarch w/ Sunrifle

Dedicated Transports:
Wave Serpent: Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones, Twin Shuriken Cannon

Ork Forces
Bad Moons Battalion

HQ:
Warboss on Warbike w/ Attack Squig, Shoota, Da Killa Klaw, Brutal but Cunning (trait)
Big Mek on Warbike w/ Kustom Shoota, Kustom Force Field & Power Klaw

Troops:
30 Shoota Boyz w/ Nob w/ Big Choppa
30 Shoota Boyz w/ Nob w/ Big Choppa
10 Shoota Boyz

Elites:
10 Tankbustas

Heavy Support:
2 Smasha Gunz
2 Smasha Gunz
10 Lootas

Flyer:
Dakkajet w/6 Supa Shootaz

Bad Moons Battalion

HQ:
Warphead w/ Warpath & Fists of Gork
Weirdboy w/ Da Jump

Troops:
10 Grots
10 Grots
10 Grots

Mission
We rolled randomly for scenario and got secure and control.  We each had one objective to place before deployment, which will score 3 points each at the end of the game.  Mccomas placed his opbjective at the top of a building in the northwest corner of the board.  I placed mine in a building in the southwest corner of the board.

Deployment
Having won the roll off Mccomas rolled for deployment and we got Front Line Assault.  He picked the northern side of the board for his army, leaving the southern edge, and less cover, for me.  The Eldar finish deploying first and I fail to seize the initiative, so the battle begins.

That doesn't look like a lot of Eldar

Main Ork Deployment
Ork Air Support
Hold Dis Objective

Top of Turn 1
With a rumble of grav engines the Wave Serpants and Farseer move forward and focus fire on the closest, largest group of boys.  The hail of Shuriken fire kills 12 boys die and 1 runs away.  A fast turn and not too bad for the boys.

That wasn't so bad

Bottom of Turn 1
The remains of the boyz advance, poorly, unable to get within charge range of the wave serpents.  The warboss, bigmek and warphead move forward to support the boyz and the dakkajet flies closer to the wave serpents, ready to unload all the dakka.  The tankbustas are jumped from the objective to behind the warboss and lose 4 to an Eldar stratagem that lets them shoot at units that arrive as though from reserves.  In the shooting phase the Orks unload all the dakka and barely manage to destroy 1 wave serpent and taking 1 wound off another.  2 Guardians died from the explosion.  Fun side note, the dakkajet shot 18 times and got 22 hits but only managed to get 1 wound.  The orks score 1 point for first blood.

Orks 1, Eldar 0

All that Dakka and only 1 wave serpent goes down

Top of Turn 2
This turn the Eldar play agressive.   Two wave serpents unloading their second group of Guardians and Wraithguard to move against the central group of boyz and warboss and then follow behind for fire support.  The Wave Serpent with the Fire Dragons moves forward to get closer to the smasha guns.  The Rangers come in from reserves to secure the Eldar objective.  The Swooping Hawks arrive in a building close to the lootas, ready to strike.

The boyz wilt under under concentrated fire, although more than the Eldar wanted it to take.  The wraithguard destroy the boss and then one more tankbusta goes down.  The swooping hawks shoot at the lootas but the lootas kick some grots into the line of fire and only lose 4 grots, no big loss.  The Eldar score 1 point for slay the warlord.

Orks 1, Eldar 1

Where did da Boss go?

Boss Nob says come at me!
Threatening the ork flank

Bottom of Turn 2
More boys come in from reserve to support the central ork force.  Upon review, this was a tactical mistake and they should have dropped closer to the Eldar objective.  The Big Mek and Warphead moved to support the newly arrived boyz, while the tankbustas moved to assault the wraithguard.  The dakkajet moves closer to the wave serpents to make some flyby shots.  The boys destroy one group of guardians and half of another.  The smasha guns take out 2 wraithguard and the lootas, shooting twice for 60 shots only manage to kill 3 swooping hawks.

The boys come in from reserve

Thinning out the Eldar
60 Shots and only 3 dead Hawks

Top of Turn 3
The Fire Dragons disembark and then they and teir Wave Serpent advance on the Smasha Guns.  The Wraithguard move forward to support them.  The other two Wave Serpents shift west to fire on a small group of boyz and support the rangers.  The Swooping Hawks jump out of combat to descend again next turn.  The boys and 2 smasha guns die and the guardians kill 3 tankbustas and assault the boss nob, who kills 1 guardian in overwatch.

2 Smasha Guns and 10 Boys Down, How Many More to Go?

Eldar on the move
This fight will take almost 3 rounds to finish

Bottom of Turn 3
The lootas move from cover to get line of sight on more targets.  The boyz, grots, Big Mek and Warphead move to assault the Fire Dragon's Wave Serpent.  Shooting downs 1 Fire Dragon only.  I also forgot to shoot with the Dakkajet this turn, I was too excited to start the assault of the Wave Serpent, which only took 6 wounds off of it.

This should surely take out a Wave Serpent

Top of Turn 4
The Swooping Hawks return close to the Ork objective.  The Fire Dragon's Wave Serpent Retreats from Combat, opening up the Warphead and Big Mek to shooting.  The Farseer moves to support it.  Eldar shooting takes out both Weirdboys and the Wraithguard fail to kill the Big Mek in combat.  The guardians and Tankbusta Nob trade more blows, and one Guardian die.

Smart Eldar Movement

Only the Wraithguard could attack without provoking 60 overwatch attacks.

Bottom of Turn 4
Things start moving a little faster now.  A small group of grots start moving to get linebreaker.  The grots and smasha gunz kill the remining fire dragons and the boyz kill the spiritseer in the shooting phase.  In assault the boyz manage to kill the final Wraithguard.  The guardians kill the Tankbusta nob.

That's a big melee

Top of Turn 5
The Swooping Hawk, Farseer and a Wave Serpent move to take the Ork Objective from a group of 10 cowardly Grots.  The other two wave serpents castle up next to the Eldar Objective.  At this point I conceded the game due the time and that I would need tons of luck to have the game go 2 turns to even think of threatening 1 objective, let alone 2.

Orks 2, Eldar 8

Orks Objective Secured and Controlled

Eldar Objective Locked Down

Post Mortem
This was a fun game and felt like it could go either way until turn 5.  It's also the first game in a while I've played that's gone beyond 2 turns.  My opponent played agressively and I made my biggest tactical mistake in turn 2 bringing in my boys in reaction to his moves rather than playing to the objective and forcing him to react to me.  Even so, it was still kind of close.  I also still make mistakes by moving my characters into positions that will allow them to be attacked.

Anyway, thanks for reading and thanks to my opponent!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 1500 Orks vs. Eldar: Secure & Control
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 08:54:20 AM »
Wave Serpents are hard as nails, am I right?

Yeah, it's really tough to outmaneuver the Eldar. It seemed, though, that once you took out his guardians, he couldn't really do much about that big blob of boyz. Am I wrong, or did you finish the game with more orks on the board than usual?

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 10:28:50 AM »
You're right.  Other than the one that died under concentrated fire, I think I took 8 wounds total off two of the other Wave Serpents.  One survived unscratched.  Losing almost half the tankbustas before they could shoot really hurt.

Haha, you're right, I did survive with more orks than usual.  Unfortunately they weren't in the right place to win or tie the game.

I almost forgot, Mccomas had horrendous dice luck on his psychic powers all game, I think only a third of his psychic powers succeeded.  Even with re-rolls.  On the flip side he had insane luck on his armor saves, one time succeeding on 11 of 14 saves for the Swooping Hawks.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 11:59:35 AM »
This is consistent with my Mccomas armor-save rolling experience. You should see how bad it gets when he gets re-rolls.  :o

He used to roll 5+ re-rollable saves like they were 3+, consistently. He's like you, only on defense instead of offense.

Offline McComas

• Killing mon-keigh since year 39,997
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 01:27:25 PM »
Thanks so much for writing this up Roboknee.  Very fun game and I was able to shed some rust.  The shooty orks definitely had me concerned. 

A few notes:

-I now know that the Ulthwe craft world ability makes the spirit stones obsolete on the serpents.  Could have saved 40 points there.
-the spirit seer didn't carry his weight here and was mostly an HQ tax.  Did make the wraithguard (who were great) faster, but I think I had the movement anyway.  I don't think he hit anything with Kurnos' Bow
-Serpents were great.  Didn't pop a shield the whole game.

Dice were very weird this game on both sides.  I spent a fair few command points on rerolls that still didn't pan out.  I agree that the key decision was where the boys 'da jump'ed to.  If you had come in closer to my objective, I would have had to collapse in on it and castle up.  I would have then been subject to your long range fire and couldn't have gone after the smasha guns with my fire dragons and wraithguard. 

I was sure I was loosing this game around turn two but once I saw you didnt have the mobility to get over to the objective side of the board, I knew I had it and I think I would have held on even if we went to turn 7. 

All in all, a great time!

============

PS: sadly, rerolling save en mass seems to be no more.  According to the thoughtful birthday gift of Craftworld data cards that Roboknee got me, Fortune is now a 5+ FNP style rather than reroll.  Sad times.  For me. Not you.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:34:16 PM by McComas »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 01:41:33 PM »
PS: sadly, rerolling save en mass seems to be no more.  According to the thoughtful birthday gift of Craftworld data cards that Roboknee got me, Fortune is now a 5+ FNP style rather than reroll.  Sad times.  For me. Not you.

8)

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 01:54:48 PM »
You're welcome, McComas.  Glad I could help shake off some of the rust.  Hopefully we can play more frequently going forward.

This was definitely a change of pace from facing the Imperial Guard or Ad Mech forces.  The Eldar were fast and hard to kill in large numbers and this was a good learning experience.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 11:35:49 AM »
That was an enjoyable, albeit unusual, report to read.  I was expecting a more comfortable victory for the Eldar after the deployment, but I was thinking about how mechanised Eldar used to play, and forgetting that Orks are a very tough proposition for Eldar these days.  Ultimately, I think that the Wave Serpents were the key units in this game.  They are still very tough and their mobility really helped the Eldar out in this mission.

Thank you for posting this report :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline McComas

• Killing mon-keigh since year 39,997
« Reply #8 on: July 9, 2019, 12:55:42 PM »
Wave Serpents are hard as nails, am I right?

Yeah, it's really tough to outmaneuver the Eldar. It seemed, though, that once you took out his guardians, he couldn't really do much about that big blob of boyz. Am I wrong, or did you finish the game with more orks on the board than usual?

I did have 3 healthy Wave Serpents and ~5 Swooping Hawks flying around that can put out a lot of shots and keep that blob at arm's length.  I hadn't used the shields yet either.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 12:16:05 PM »
That looked like a fun game. Another grrreat victory for the orks. Now the orks have some wave serpent scraps to loot  :o Mighty nice of you to let them live, this way the boys will have something to do a different day  ;D
(you sure fooled that eldar into thinking you wanted pieces of rock when you just was out looking for free stuff laying around the battlefield.....)

"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 12:26:38 PM »
Thanks Skeeter.  You'll like the next battle report, which should be up tonight.  There will be Trukks.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 12:52:49 PM »
OOOOOHHHHHHHH! (insert drooling emoji here)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak