News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 Ordo Malleus LGS 4-Game Tournament Reports  (Read 2476 times)

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
1500 Ordo Malleus LGS 4-Game Tournament Reports
« on: October 4, 2010, 11:21:48 AM »
Game 1 – These Are Not the Eldar You’re Looking For…

An introduction to the army I used and the background can be found here: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=205970.0

The holo-pict field showed a rotating depiction of Nevra Secullus, once again open for Imperial exploration. The flashing dots representing the Black Ship and Admiral Torriq’s fleet lay just along the perimeter. Michael knew the fuming admiral was awaiting orders to deploy his fleet. His initial reticence had been mollified by the Inquisitor Lord’s rosette and his own Commissar Lord’s rigid frown. Now they were ready.

“These were once Eldar worlds,” Mikhael spoke, the communication system broadcasting his voice to the bridges of each craft in the fleet. “When we settled it, a Craftworld supported a war against our settlements that lasted almost a decade. We prevailed only to have the cluster of system lost to us by a Warp Storm.  The last window closed before we could reclaim Nevra Secullus and rescue the populace within. This is no longer the case.”

“Admiral Torriq,” Mikhael stated as he waved a nearby acolyte. The acolyte inserted a memory card and the comm.-servitor whirled through a series of movements. “I have just transmitted you initial dispersement.  Strike force Triumphant will support my landing of Nevra Six. You have details for the remainder.”

“Aye, Inquisitor,” Torriq replied.

Mikhael could sense the admiral’s frustration; he didn’t care. On Nevra Six was a city constructed over an Eldar settlement. Therein lay his first objective.  Therein lay a secret the Emperor’s Tarot told him to find.

Ordo Malleus Army List (1500 points)

Inquisitor Lord w/ psyhood, psycannon, auspex, teleport homer
Retinue:  HB servitors x 3, mystics x 2, sage

Brother Captain
Retinue:  Grey Knight Terminators x 4 ww/ psycannon x 1, thunderhammer/storm shield x 1

Callidus Assassin (hereby denoted as princess Velveeta in honour of my last opponent)

IST Squad Alpha (IST x 6) w/ flamers x 2
Dedicated Transport:  Rhino w/ extra armour, smoke

IST Squad Beta (IST x 10) w/ plasmaguns x 2

Grey Knight Justicar w/ frag grenades, teleport homer
Grey Knights x 7 w/ incincerator x 1

Grey Knight Land Raider w/ extra armour, smoke

Grey Knight Dreadnaught w/ lascannons, incinerator, extra armour, smoke

Scoring Units:  3
Kill Points:  11

Mechanized Eldar (won best composition with 20/20)

HQ:  Farseer w/ Doom and other various gear
Warlock Council x 8 w/ Enhance, Embolden x 2 and possibly Destructors

EL:  Fire Dargons x 6 w/ Exarch and melta goodness
Wave Serpent w/ twin shuricans and underslung shurican

TR:  DA x 10 w/ Exarch and twin shurcats, Bladestorm
Wave Serpent w/ TL-EML

TR:  DA x 10 w/ Exarch and twin shurcats, Bladestorm
Wave Serpent w/ TL-EML

HS: Falcon w/ BL and other goodies

Primary Objective:  Seize Ground (3 objectives)
Secondary Objective:  Assassination (enemy HQ worth the highest points)

Deployment (Dawn of War):  The three objectives were lined up across the center line of the table.  He placed a Wave Serpent and Dire Avengers on the left-most objective, my IST (Beta) and the Inquisitor Lord nearby the right-most objective.  Lots of roads but I’ve never faced a Serpent rush before….

Eldar Deployment:

Daemonhunter Deployment:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/54461723@N03/5042304418/]

T1 Eldar:  Everything goes to my left flank, every skimmer moving fast.
T1 DH:  My Dreadnaught flanks the Rhino up the road, while the Land Raider parks a little further center.  Shooting fails to get through any SMF saves.

Eldar Moves Everything Flat-Out:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54461723@N03/5041679639#

Daemonhunters Countermoves:

T2 Eldar:  The Fire Dragons move up, disembark and not surprisingly destroy my Land Raider.  The Falcon and a Wave Serpent destroy the Rhino, while another Wave Serpent immobilizes the Dreadnaught…. Woah.  Both IST (Alpha) and the PAGK squad lose one guy.
T2 DH:  The Callidus comes from Reserve, parks next to the Fire Dragons and eats them for lunch before consolidating into the ruins.  The Dreadnaught fails to cause any damage against a Wave Serpent.  The PAGK squad moves up and eats the Council Serpent that moved less than 6 inches in CC; 6 wounds to the warlocks, six failed saves, no Fortune due to psyhood.

Notice the Upturned LR, Missing Rhino:

Council's Wave Serpent Getting Eaten:

T3 Eldar:  All Serpents less one and Falcon move flat-out and park around the left and center objectives.  Dire Avengers disembark their Serpent unloads into the PAGK squad killing all less the Justicar and two guys.
T3 DH:  The Terminators decide not to arrive.  The Callidus moves up through the ruins and flames then charges the Avengers, killing seven.  The PAGK charge and kill the Warlock and bring the Farseer to one wound, losing another PAGK.  The Dread shakes a Wave Serpent, while IST (Beta) moves out from cover to sit on the right objective.

T4 Eldar:  The Falcon squares off the Dread but fails to hit.  All the Serpents keep moving flat-out, while the Farseer whiffs its attacks but fails to bloody well die.  The Callidus kills another Avenger
T4 DH:  Terminators arrive and they park next to the Justicar.  The Justicar and Grey Knight finally finishes the Farseer, consolidating towards the middle objective.  The Callidus crunching Avengers down to the Exarch.  The Dread shakes another Serpent – yeah.

Turn 4 Action of Note:

T5 Eldar:  A Wave Serpent tank shocks IST (Beta), they pass their test but the Serpent remains within 3 inches.  A DA Serpent parks next to the left objective, the rest moving flat-out.  I need to contest that left objective.  The Callidus drops the Exarch.
T5 DH:  IST (Beta) moves to get a shot at the Serpent’s hind end with the plasmaguns, failing to do any damage.  The Terminators are my last hope.  They move up, psycannon having no impact on things; I roll a 6 for difficult terrain which means that my Termies get a brilliant charge but fail to do any appreciable damage (needing 6’s to hit) but am within 3 inches to contest.

GKT Right Before Charging the Last DA Serpent:

Right-hand Objective:

Aftermath: Minor Win Daemonhunters (completed secondary objective).  I have no doubt that further rounds would have seen my forces whittled even further, likely losing the game.  Great game, tough come from behind win – especially down two lascannons at the top of turn 2….

Game 2 battle report coming up...

;francois
« Last Edit: October 4, 2010, 04:09:30 PM by f.desrochers »
;f.desrochers

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
1500 Ordo Malleus vs Tau [Tourney Game #2]
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »
Game 2 – Foul Xenos

An introduction to the army I used and the background can be found here: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=205970.0

The initial onslaught of the Eldar only stiffened his resolve.  The Tarot had been correct and the artefact lay secured in the orbiting Black Ship. What he now understood was just how vital this expedition had become.  The Tarot spoke of violence and debauchery in unheard scales. There would be a cleansing, of this he was sure.

“Excuse me, my Lord.  We have a problem,” warned his sage.

Mikhael turned and saw the mystics busily scribing their collective thoughts.  Their minds merged, their visions came to light in the intricate flowing script. As their eyes ceased to flutter and focus returned, they each handed their papyrus to Mikhael.  As he read, his heart sank.

“Blasted Tau forces have returned to try and exploit this opportunity. They are moving from their base of operations into our sector to the ruins of Chigetto.” Tapping the comm bead in his ear, he called for a meeting of his primary staff.

Brother Captain
Retinue:  Grey Knight Terminators x 4 ww/ psycannon x 1, thunderhammer/storm shield x 1

Callidus Assassin (hereby denoted as princess Velveeta in honour of my last opponent)

Tau with Kroot (won best painted)

HQ:  Crisis suit with plasma, missiles, multi-tracker

EL:  3 x Crisis Suits each w/ plasma, missiles, multi-tracker

EL:  2 x Crisis Suits each w/ plasma, missiles, multi-tracker

TR:  6 x Fire Warriors

TR:  Kroot x 10 w/ hounds x 5

TR: Kroot x 10 w/ hounds x 5

FA:  Pirahna x 2 w/ fusions blaster and other goodies

FA:  Pathfinders in Devilfish with goodies

HS:  Railsuits x 2

HS: Hammerhead with goodies

HS: Hammerhead with goodies

Primary Objective:  Table Quarters
Secondary Objective:  Annihilation (Kill Points)

Deployment (Spearhead):  We roll and I win.  My IL deploys with good fire lanes with the Rhino and Dread left, the IST (Beta) squad, PAGK and Land Raider to the right; Callidus and Terminators to Reserves.  He deploys covering every avenue of approach with a god-awful amount of firepower.  Thankfully the terrain down the diagonal blocks both our shooting; roundish felt was house-rules to block LOS up to 6 inches in height, the taller terrain spread around elsewhere on other tables.

Please notice the symmetric table (least favorite one of the tournament):

Tau Deployment:

Daemonhunter Deployment:

T1 DH:  Land Raider scoots to the center, IST (Beta) up into the wood line. Rhino and Dread move to the center and stick to cover.
T1 Tau:  The Hammerhead moves down and lines up a shot with the Dread, immobilizing it.  On the other flank the Crisis Suits move out, blast Beta down three models and shuffle back behind cover. Nothing else occurs, which means I have to take the fight to him to support my Reserves.

Unfortunately pictures from this game corrupted and I lost anything from Turn 1.

T2 DH:   The Termies come in and drop on my side of the central woodline.  Callidus comes in, which means I have an opportunity.  The Land Raider moves through the central terrain, and rolls a 1; thankfully it can see down two fire lanes.  The PAGK squad gets out.  Beta finds a shot into the Piranhas and tags one of them dead.  The Rhino moves closer to center and parks in a wood.  The Callidus, parked next to the Railsuits also tags the 3-man Crisis Suit, causing 1 dead in each, the charge into the Railsuit causing a wound and taking one.

T2 Tau:  The Hammerhead moves out and tags the Dread, blasting off the lascannon. Kroot moves to charge the Callidus and she eats it in CC to the Hounds but finished the Railsuit.  The Pirahna moves in front of the Land Raider and gets its BS bumped to 5, the LR cover save reduced to 6+ and he rolls a 1….  The Crisis Suits make a play against Beta but cover saves keep them all alive.

Tau After Two Turns:

Callidus About to Pounce:

DH Right Flank Securing/Contesting Each Quadrant:

T3 DH:  The Rhino moves to the left flank, IST (Alpha) combi-flaming the bunched Kroot and Tau Fire Warriors. Both take skads of wounds, both fail Leadership checks and flee. Aside from the Inquisitor Lord moving up the field to keep away from the Rail-head, nothing much moves and no real results from shooting.
T3 Tau:  He sees a lot of targets and isn’t too happy about how close they all are.  He moves things around and gets four kills out of the PAGK squad, the Rail-head finally destroying the Dreadnaught.

IST (Alpha) having its way with the Tau Flank:

T4:  The game is pretty much over as I’ve locked my quadrant and the right one, contest the left and my opponent’s.  The final turn involved very little shooting or movement and we called it with about 10 minutes left.

After 4 Turns (IST Beta and IL off to the right claim the two quadrants): 

Aftermath:   Major Win for Daemonhunters (most table quarters and kill points).  A great Tau army, I was surprised to see his Kroot sitting back and playing a passive counter-assault role on the one table with almost half the board covered in forests.  When I asked Travis about it, he shrugged and said he had no clue how vicious Daemonhunters were and how thoroughly schooled he had been that game – not a compliment any DH player gets to hear very often!  I explained to him what I would have done with the Kroot and showed just how insane they were in forest-heavy boards. You could see his eyes light up with the implications of his newfound knowledge.

Game #1 versus Mech-Eldar:  http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=206060.0

Game #3 versus Chaos Daemons to come...

;francois
« Last Edit: October 4, 2010, 02:47:56 PM by f.desrochers »
;f.desrochers

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Re: 1500 Ordo Malleus vs Tau [Tourney Game #2]
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2010, 02:23:19 PM »
Good battlereport, nice to see deamonhunters keeping in the game.

As a friendly note I find it easier to put them all in one thread if they're from an event, its a bit more convient to follow than skipping back and forth from thread to thread. :)
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
1500 Ordo Malleus vs Chaos Daemons [Tourney Game #3]
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2010, 02:40:24 PM »
Game 3 – The Warp Storm Erupts...

The culling of the Tau had suddenly sent a message across the system – the Emperor’s holy Inquisition was here. With the sector secured, Mikhael moved his forces into the ruins of Chigetto. Occupying the least damaged hab-unit, Mikhael’s forces prepared to move into the surrounding districts when the mystics suddenly flashed into activity. Both of them tilted their heads back, eyes rolling back into their skulls.  Babbling incoherently, Mikhael suddenly understood a portion of their veiled speech.

“Daemon-spawn,” he cried into his comm bead. “Everyone set up.”

In the neighbouring districts, the air shimmered and crackled; the smell of sulphur and other nauseating contaminants filled the air. Screeches no human could emulate resounded off the crumbling walls as siren songs and daemon barks told Mikhael all he needed to know. He would not find the artefact here but he had a reason for being there.

The Tarot had held true.

Brother Captain

Chaos Daemons (Won the award for worst composition with something like 8/20)

3 x Heralds of Slaanesh on chariot w/ goodies

5 x Fiends of Slaanesh

5 x Fiends of Slaanesh

10-ish Plague Bearers

10-ish Plague Bearers

10-ish Hounds of Khorne

10-ish Hounds of Khorne

10-ish Hounds of Khorne

Other stuff…. Yeesh, you’d think a Daemonhunter player would know the Chaos Daemons codex front to back.  His entire army was unpainted, which is fine but makes for odd pictures.

Primary Objective:  Capture and Control
Secondary Objective:  Annihilation (Kill points)

Deployment:  Pitched Battle, which really means I’m the one limited to where I can go.  I win the roll but defer first turn to my opponent’s chagrin.  I deploy in the bottom right corner, again the IL and IST Beta holding firm in a multi-storeyed ruin, objective with IST Beta at ground level.  The GKLR deploys on the road in front, the Rhino in a vehicle redoubt just left of that.  My opponent gets his preferred wave but is scared witless by those mystics, deploying things well over 24 inches from anything I have, some in the complete opposite corner.

DH Deployment

Daemon Deployment - Yeah, unpainted models in ruins are hard to find in photos, not much easier in game play either.

Overview:  In all honesty, from the get-go this game was pretty much a one-sided affair.  The Fiends deployed scattered into the open, one round of IL and Beta firing whittling them down to one model with one wound left.  From there, long-range fire all but stopped any advances he made due to poor difficult terrain rolls and good fire lanes.  The Callidus and the Dreadnaught arrived from Reserves in Turn 3, combining with IST Alpha to flame a units of Fiends, Hounds and a Herald too tightly packed; resultant CC wiped out his entire flank near my table edge.  On his other flank, the PAGK squad hacked through Fiends, a Herald, Hounds and Plague Bearers, sweeping up each time to surround the enemy objective held by a single unit of Plague Bearers.  My Terminators arrived a turn prior, so 6 x PAGK and untouched Terminators were set to charge for his objective.  He conceded the game.

The after-shot of Callidus, Dreadnaught and IST Beta flaming in Turn 3 (Callidus swept into the central cathedral):

The beginning of the end:  The PAGK squad charged through these Hounds, rocked a Herald and launched into the Plague Bearers just above them before heading for the Chaos Objective.

Assault on the Chaos Objective
Note: All the models around the building are "Dead Pile."  The only thing left is the Plague Bearers on the floor-level, one of them poking his head out the building on the corner.

Aftermath:  Major Win (both Objectives and Kill Points) for Daemonhunters.  I think the mystics threw him off so badly he forgot how lethal his army could have been.  Had he weathered the IL squad’s fire, he would have had a slew of combat power to concentrate on me.  His first two games were Major Victories, including the first round against the other Daemon player (the one who called me out for cheese) where he played his tactics out really well; this game only reinforced this other player’s opinion.  Apparently good tactics is cheesy. ;)

;francois
;f.desrochers

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
1500 Ordo Malleus versus Space Wolves [Tourney Game #4]
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2010, 03:11:34 PM »
Game 4 – The Space Wolves Have the Artefact!

Mikhael’s efforts had finally come to its fruition.  The Eldar had come to reclaim their lost treasures, the war centuries past now renewed. In a round-about way, Mikhael knew their arrival at Chigetto had been the price to pay to locate his final objective.  Another Eldar force had landed and secured his objective.

After a rampaging campaign of destruction, the Eldar had faced off against the Space Wolves.  The Sons of Russ had waged a battle of ferocity unlike anything the Xenos had yet encountered.  In the aftermath, the Eldar treasure lay firmly in the hands of the Space Wolves. Mikhael had presented his rosette and by the Emperor’s authority claimed the artefact. The reply had been typically brusque and unrefined. What had been so shocking had been their outright refusal to hand it over.

“Let it be so,” Mikhael muttered to himself. “I will simply claim it by force.”

Space Wolves (4th overall with 89/120)

HQ:  Wolf Lord - Frost Blade, Storm Shield, Thunderwolf, Wolf Tail Talisman

HQ:  Rune Priest - Jaws, Murderous Hurricane

EL:  3 Wolf Guard - Combimeltas, Powerfists

TR:  7 Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Mark of the Wulfen, Wolf Standard, Rhino

TR:  8 Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Mark of the Wulfen, Wolf Standard, Rhino

TR:  8 Grey Hunters - Meltagun, Mark of the Wulfen, Wolf Standard, Rhino

FA:  4 Thunderwolf Cav - 2 Storm Shields, Thunder Hammer, Meltabomb (Wound allocation shenanigans – opponent’s text, not mine)

HS:  5 Long Fangs - 4 Missile Launchers

HS:  5 Long Fangs - 4 Missile Launchers

Primary Objective:  Seize Ground (5 objectives)
Secondary Objective:  Victory Points (what are those)

Deployment:  Dawn of War (yeah…).  Mitch places a Rhino-borne Grey Hunter squad right up the middle, limiting my options.  IST Squad Beta deploys behind some rubble, IL squad into over-watch in a ruin center-right.

Deployments (Space Wolf Rhino center, IST Beta foreground, IL retinue in building to the right)

T1 SW:  Long Fangs go far left, all else on the right flank.  Nothing else occurs.
T1 DH:  IST Alpha deploys far right, the LR and PAGK left of IST Beta, the Dreadnaught tucked in behind the central tower.  Shooting from the IL squad fails to do more than scratch Rhino paint.

Turn 1 movement and little else occuring:

T2 SW:  Both Hunter squads move around the ruin my IL squad occupies, disembarking and blasting the IL squad down to the IL and a heavy-bolter servitor.  The Long Fangs each fail to to anything, his Thunderwolves rolling 2s for difficult terrain (this would become a theme).  His other Grey Hunters move to claim the central objective.
T2 DH:  Things aren’t looking too good. The Dreadnaught tries to pop the central Rhino to no effect, the Land Raider moves up and fires into the Thunderwolves to no avail. IST Beta fires into the right-flank Long Fangs and kills one, while IST Alpha closes with the two tightly packed Hunter squads near the IL; two flamers made a mess of both units and saw each losing five or six models, making their Leadership checks.  Nothing else happened worthy of note.

To quote a bystander:  "This is gonna hurt ya'."  Yeah, it did.

IST Alpha gets payback for the Inquisitor Lord:

T3 SW:  The right-flank Grey Hunters move to shoot and assault, one to the IL squad, the other to IST Alpha; obvious results being both of my squads wiped out.  The Thunderwolves again failed to roll higher than a 2 for difficult terrain, while the Long Fangs failed to have any impact. He disembarks his central objective squad and takes a pot-shots with melta and combi-melta at the LR, failing to roll high enough to damage.
T3 DH:  Not to keep relying on good rolls, the LR moves up, firing shots into the central Rhino, immobilizing it, its other LC and the Dread firing into the Thunderwolves, failing to wound.  The PAGK squad disembarks, fires and charges in at the Thunderwolves – I find out the hard way why this unit is 400 points and why it hasn’t lost a single model thusfar in the tournament. I actually wound and kill two of them, losing six in return (frikkin’ Wolf Lord thus dubbed Commander Velveeta).  I move IST Alpha’s Rhino around the ruin and pop smoke, looking to contest the right-hand objective later on.

PAGK meets Thunderwolves - not pretty

T4 SW:  Apparently the game is afoot.  His Thunderwolves make short work of the PAGK squad, his Wolf Lord finishing them off at I5.  The central Hunters again failed to damage the Land Raider, while his right-flank Hunters shuffle around a bit onto the right-hand objective but don’t do anything else.  Long Fangs once again have no impact.
T4 DH:  Callidus arrives (now dubbed princess Velveeta), templates and assaults her way through the central Grey Hunters, wiping them out, leaving the Rune Priest and freeing an objective from Space Wolf control. The Terminators arrive and scatter between IST Beta and IST Alpha’s Rhino; this actually the ideal location as it turns out.  The GKT shoots into the Thunderwolves, killing one.

The beginning of Turn 4
Note the distinct lack of PAGK and the Callidus in pre-shooting and charge position

T5 SW:  The Wolf Lord splits off and charges the Callidus but she manages to kill off the Rune Priest.  The Thunderwolves move across the Long Fangs frontage and decide to toss the meltabomb at the LR, the explosion wounding one of them.  Nothing else much affects anything.
T5 DH:  These Thunderwolves have run roughshod over much of my army; until the GKT squad gets the charge; lots of dead puppies, no dead Grey Knights.  Nothing else occurred, because I see the only objective he is claiming is actually contested by my Rhino, while IST Beta sits on one uncontested.  Time was over, so the game ends.

Rhino contesting the right-hand objective:

GKT post-charge into the Thunderwolves
Note the distinct lack of Thunderwolves, retribution for melta-bombing my Land Raider ;)

Shot from IST Beta's perspective, the lone Scoring Unit holding an Objective
Yes, blurry, but that was partly due to hitting a fourth Victory, only player in the tourney to do so

Overview:  Minor Win for the Daemonhunters (Won the Primary Objective 1 to 0, with less Victory Points remaining). The new Space Wolves are a mess to play against.  I’m confident one more turn would have seen little change in the overall outcome; those GKTs would simply have redirected and charged into the right-hand objective if the Rhino had been taken care of, end result it still being contested.  My opponent was a friend I hadn’t seen in almost 4 years, so to come to heads for the top spot was pretty cool – trash talk aplenty.

;francois
;f.desrochers

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 1500 Ordo Malleus LGS 4-Game Tournament Reports
« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2010, 10:42:07 AM »
Congrats on your wins and well played! It's not an easy thing to win convincingly with the D-Hunters, so great work there!