News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necrons vs Blood Angels.  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Necrons vs Blood Angels.
« on: October 7, 2010, 11:31:59 PM »
Brought out my Necrons, and my new Battle missions book to GW today for some gaming fun. First was 2000pts agaisnt a Bloof Angels player, with an army made almost entirely out of Rogue Trader era models. Very cool stuff.

I brought;

Lord w/Res orb/VoD
Lord with Warscythe, orb, gaze of flame, nightmare shroud.
Three units of ten warriors, one unit of 16.
One unit of 5 or 7 scarabs.
Two units of three destroyers.
One monolith.
Two tomb spiders.

He had,

Librarian, with Blood Lance and...something else, and jetpack.
Chaplin w/ jetpack.
Two large assaut squads with meltaguns and powerfists.
Two priests (one on bike, one with jetpack).
Two Dreadnaughts with blood talons, one with Two twin linked autocannons.
One predator with Auto/las sponsons.
Two Baal Predators with Assault cannon/heavy bolters.
One devistator squad, with four missile launchers.
Two Attack bikes w/meltaguns.

We played the space marine mission "Hold at all costs", the objective was on the top of a tower (we decided it was 5" high to climb). So, we took turns deploying. In the end, the table had the Devistators on the objective in the middile, with the blood talon dreads to the lower left corner of it, along with the autocannon predator. One assault squad, with the jump priest was to the bottom left, with the attack bikes. Priest was sneaking in between the two, with the chaplain, second assault squad in deepstrike, and the Baals in reserve.

I deployed my Monolith in the top right corner, as close to the tower as I could. Two 10 man warrior squads flanking it, with the 16man unit and my scythe lord behind it. Tomb spiders flanked the ten man units. Third ten man unit and destroyers were in the bottom left (to encurge him to spread out), while the scarabs were creating a line in front of my lower monolith necron squad. VoD Lord, was with my north-most warrior squad.

As it turned out, I got the first turn.

Turn 1.

Mono, and warrior phalanx advance. 16 man unit pops out in front of the monolith in spitting distance of the deployed assault squad. Scarabs get ready to charge that squad. In shooting, the Monolith and my warriors all open up into the assault squad, and kill a good number of them, then my ord activates his nightmare shroud, which sends them running. On the right flank, one destroyer squad immobilizes one of the Blood Talon dreads, while my Warriors shake the autocannon dread. The second destroyer unit stuns the predator. Scarabs charge the attack bikes, with the Priest, and wound him.

My opponent's assault squad flees some more, due to the scarab proximity. His right flank is frozen, due to immobile/shaken/stunned vehicles. The functional Blood Talon dread hides from the Monolith. The librarian fires a Blood Lance towards my monolith, but only manages to drop a coupld of warriors. Missiles from the tower open up into my Large necron warrior squad, dropping a couple with the shrapnel. The blood talon dread charges my scarabs, and methodically kills every swarm.

Turn 2.

My left flank keep closing in. My VoD lord and a ten man unit Teleport (or try to) next to the fleeing assault squad, but scatter to the left. Monolith unleashes a whip of energy from it's crystal into the mobile blood talon dread, sheering one of it's arms off. The Destroyers find a weak point in the predators armour, and send exploding with their gauss shots. Miscellaneous necrons shoot into the devastator squad, dropping one missile launcher, and one basic dude. One of my destroyer squads spots the Libraian without a squad, and take him down with a hail of gauss cannon shots. My teleport squad shifts too far away for any accurate shooting.

One of the Baals come in on the left flank, and opens up on one of my destroyer units, downing two of them. The Autocannon dread does the same, but my destroyer survives the fire. The Devastators fire missiles into my Necron warriors again, but they are frag rounds, and don't do a whole lot. The assault squad which had re-grouped charges my teleport necron squad, and kills five of my warriors, I unfortunately cause no wounds in return. However, I successfully pass my leadership test.

Turn 3.

I teleport my necrons out of combat, to the right side of the table. Monolith fires another particle whip into the Blood Talon dread, but I do only superficial damage to it. Assorted shooting reduces the assault squad to Priest and two dudes. Destroyers kill one attack bike, and shake the Ball Predator.

Assault squad from reserve comes in, deepstriking to the right of the center tower. Second Baal enters the table, from the top table edge. Most of the shooting is directed at assorted warriors, which suffer minimal damage. The Sang. Priest and pals charge the Tomb Spider and scarab. I kill the two assault squad-ers, while the scarb is killed.

Turn 4.

My Gaze lord and his enturage of 16 warriors storm the tower, and take it from the devistators. Meanwhile my monolith, two warriors squads, and the destroyers all fire at the newly arrived assault squad. However, with a series of amazing Feel no pain, and cover save rolls, he doesn't really loose any models. I have my second spider charge the Autocannon dread, and I immobilize it.

The attack bike fires at the Monolith, to no effect. Priest and my tomb spider slap each other (I hit on 5's, he wounds on 6's). The assault squad charge both necron warrior squads. I loose by eight, however I pass my morale test with Insane Heroism! One of the Necron warrior squads was totally killed off, but was well within WBB range to the other squad. His Mobile Blood Talon dread charges my Tomb Spider, and kills the scarab swarm. MY tomb spider fails to injure the Dread's.

Turn 5.

The two necron warriors squads in combat on the right flank join together (due to one being 'dead') and Viel away, however they mishap and thus are sent by my opponent into the far top left corner for a time out. Monolith, and destroyers all fire into the assault squad to no avail, until the Warriors in the tower with their gauss flayers kill six marines and finish off the Priest, and wound the Chaplain with 11 shots. My opponent has no troops choices left. In the combats, on the left flank my spider and his priest slap eachother, while on the right flank the Autocannon dread kills my Spider.

The Chaplin heads towards the tower, while the Baals fire into it at my warriors. The Talon dread then charges into my warriors there. However, it attacks my lord and causes only one wound, while my lord is able to stun it in return.

The game thus ends with the objective contested by the blood angels player's dread at the end of the 5th turn. All in all, a pretty close game, but I did a lot of damage to him on the first two turns though.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
Re: Necrons vs Blood Angels.
« Reply #1 on: October 8, 2010, 05:21:14 AM »
Well, it's nice to see the Necrons not getting beaten about as badly as mine have been getting it, but I have a feeling making those two against-the-odds crucial Ld checks might have had something to do with that... :P

I have to commend you for taking so many Warrior squads, too. I'm agreeing more and more with the philosophy of take the minimum, keep them out of harm's way and let the rest of the army do the work.

Pictures would have been nice, but I know they aren't always possible. How are you finding your ageing Necrons doing against the newer and newer codexes at the moment?

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: October 8, 2010, 08:47:19 AM »
I am finding the Necrons to be holding up well in 5th. No real discernible difference to be honest. A codex is a codex is a codex. I enjoy taking at least three squads of warriors, or else I am punished in objective missions, and they are actually quite helpful units to have.

I did get lucky with two ridiculously lucky LD tests, and having the Viel to get out of both those situations. Close game though, all in all. Feel no pain is a bugger to get through ha ha.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #3 on: October 8, 2010, 09:53:13 AM »
Nice batrep, I do hope its for the campaign and all.

Congrats on the game, a Draw I take it, and I agree that Necrons can hold up well enough in 5th Ed if you take certain precautions vs Assaults, etc.

In regard to FNP, I never had an issue with FNP when I used my Close Combat Necron list as the Scythes ignore it in CC, as do Tomb Spiders with their MC status. You had 2 TS's a Scythe and a Staff to use vs the FNP so a little light in that regard; but overall I still like your list style as it has a good blend of units in it and the Scoring Unit thingy is the part where I can often struggle to win (if there are 4-5 Mission Objectives). Otherwise, like you said, Necrons can work well in 5th as their codex is a codex is a codex still, you just need to alter their tactics a little and develop the list to suit the new rules a little.

Cheers.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: October 8, 2010, 12:37:43 PM »
I found the best way to get through the FNP was with the Monoliths Particle Whip, but even still. However, with enough shots I could down them as well. I didn't really want to engage the Blood Angles in combat when they had power weapons and other unsightly things to hit me with. I found that having a lot of necron troops made things a lot easier for me. They ended up being the ones who did the most hurting, and taking the most shooting too.

Thanks for reading. It can sure be for the Campaign.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria