News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 point revised list...comments please  (Read 1984 times)

Offline jasper

• if you dont know, i cant tell you
1500 point revised list...comments please
« on: September 9, 2002, 06:29:22 PM »
my newly revised 1500 pt army...comments welcome

HQ
1 hive tyrant mutant 74pts
ws+4
bs+8
S+8
I+4
SV+15
talons +8
venom cannon+40
warp blast+25
horror
synapse
total  186

elites

shooty warriors=279
6 with talons and deathspitters + sv 37x6= 232
1 with venom + sv  47
total 279

cc warriors=153
2 with rending and talons +sv 22+6+2+3=33x2=66
3 with talons and talons +sv  22+2+2+3+29x3=87

troops
32 hormagaunts with talons and leaping and WS increase=10ptsx32=320 plus node=330

24 termagaunts with spinefists and node 5x24=120+10=130

24 hormagaunts with fleshborers and node 7x24+10=178

8 genestealers  128

heavy
2 zoanthropes w warp blast  59x2=118

total 1502
103 models

any tips/advice....

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
Re:1500 point revised list...comments please
« Reply #1 on: September 9, 2002, 08:43:48 PM »
Tyrant: You should only take Venom Cannon OR Warp Blast; you can't use both at the same time. WS and I upgrades should always be customized to your enemy. Against Eldar, take +I, against commanders, take +WS, and stuff like that.

Warriors: I usually use the biomorph tables; sometimes I can save a few points on WS, BS, and I if I don't need them. You may want to take a few less Warriors, and put in a Carnifex or broods of 3 Warriors with wings and Venom Cannons (Heavy Support and Deep Strike... heh heh... Hammerheads better watch out).

If your Gaunts have a ranged weapon, take the Spinefist. All of them kinda stink, so you might as well take the least expensive. Again, see what WS and I upgrades are most appropriate.
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline Sentinel XIII

• -No rest for the wickeD-
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2002, 08:36:55 AM »
I like what Mr.Custodian said about the Fex, but this is what I would do. ( I am NO pro)
Instead of two broods of Warriors, swap the CC Warriors for a brood of Raveners.
Since you only need one Ravener for a brood, get a few and have them rush the squads you just don't want to deal with.
besides, Raveners look sooo sweet.

XIII

Offline Hivemind

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2002, 01:10:43 AM »
I'd also agree that normally you don't want to have two ranged weapons, since you can only fire one a turn.  The only time you'd want to have both the venom cannon and warp blast is if you're using the same army list against different enemies (like in a tournament).  One thing to note is that warp blast only costs 20pts for the Tyrant - GW has said that the cost in the back of the book is not correct, use the cost in the army list description.

I would suggest replacing your shooty warrior squad with a second Tyrant - you'll probably get more mileage out of the Tyrant.  

With the extra points get some biovores.  Range 48" and indirect fire will really help take out your opponents heavy support units.  I usually arm mine with either poison or acid mines (again only use both if you're not sure what enemy you will be fighting).

Another suggestion is to give your hormagaunts both the WS and the I increase.  With an I 5 they will attack before Marines and eldar guardians, and at the same time as DE and Eldar Aspect warriors.  If they go first that means that there are fewer attacks going against you, and therefore less casualties, if they go at the same time at least they're getting their full attacks.  And it only costs +1 point per model.

The carnifex could be effective if it weren't such a fire magnet.  You may be better off taking a 'stripped down' carnifex just to draw fire away from your other units.  I've only twice ever had one reach CC, and that was by hiding it for the first 2 turns of the game (behind cover).
The Tyranids are the most rapidly evolving race in the galaxy.  They are super-predators destined to hunt all others to extinction.

Offline jasper

• if you dont know, i cant tell you
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2002, 01:37:17 AM »
thanks guys...i was trying to make an army that i could play against anyone with...i mdefinately gonna get anothrer tyrant and a few raveners and probably bump up to 2000 pts...i built the flesh borer guants before i relized that they arent that good, but im gonna use em till i can replace them..$$ is short...next step is winged tyrant with 2x scything talons and warp blast...few more posts and we'll be past orks..lol

Offline Sentinel XIII

• -No rest for the wickeD-
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2002, 02:09:48 PM »
Tell me about it Jasper. I was in such a hurry to paint my gaunts and start playing, I made my shooty gaunts with fleshborers and entended carapace. I think they're like 8pts, and pretty lousy. So now I've got 8 Irongaunts, which will be great as fodder. I mean, they aren't THAT bad...are they??

XIII

Offline joj

• darkness shall prevail
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2002, 03:14:59 PM »
Gaunts with flesh borers are never worth it. I use 5pts spine gaunts. its worthless but inexpensive.
how do u convert a tyrant to have wings? is it expencive?
Cruelty, death and missery are my name.

Offline Hivemind

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2002, 12:46:12 PM »
Well, fleshborers could be worthwhile if you expected to see alot of Av10 vehicles, like landspeeders, vypers or war walkers.  Otherwise they really aren't worth the added expense.

Like most people I made my first 8 gaunts with flesborers, and even glued them on with plastic cement!   :(  Never fear though, you don't have to leave them that way.  I took a pliers and pulled off the arms, then an hobby knife to cut the what remained flat.  Then take the spinefists and cut the rounded end that would normally go into the body flat too.  Glue the spinefists on with plastic cement and presto! You have a new spinegaunt!

Joj, to convert a Tyrant with wings you probably want to order a pair of dragon wings from GW mail order.  Use a pin vise drill and some green stuff to attach the wings and make it look natural.  The wings will probably run about $8-10 US dollars, plus shipping costs.
The Tyranids are the most rapidly evolving race in the galaxy.  They are super-predators destined to hunt all others to extinction.

Offline joj

• darkness shall prevail
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2002, 02:11:08 PM »
so you can buy wings seperatly? i didnt know, i thought you had to buy a dragon box to get the wings... very expensive.

I am one of those people who didnt put the fleshborer on first. thank god for this forum!!  :D
Cruelty, death and missery are my name.