News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Assaut Squad Question  (Read 660 times)

Offline DRGNLRD

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Assaut Squad Question
« on: February 20, 2009, 08:34:22 PM »
Ok I am a newbie here and this will be my third question on this forum. I have to say I really appreciate the help and comments so far. Everyone here seems very helpful. I purchased a box of assault marines today to up my five man unit to ten. One suggestion I received was to take two flamers in the unit. The codex states that I can replace the bolt pistol with a flamer. So I assume he gets to keep his chainsword. To represent that he has a flamer and chainsword do I use a chainsword arm, and have the marine hold the flamer with one hand? The one picture I saw was the assault marine holding the flamer two handed and no chainsword. This may be a dumb and obvious answer question but I am sure confused.

Thanks for the help!

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
Re: Assaut Squad Question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:40:51 PM »
The chainsword alone holds no benefit, so their is no real point in modelling it.

Offline Shizukanashi

• Warrior
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:45:52 PM »
either of these options would be feasable and legal with the rules.  Having a chainsword or not does not affect the model at all, if he does not have a second weapon to go with it.  I am not sure that there is a writen rule but it use to appear that all units are assumed to have some close combat weapon be it a chainsword, knife, teeth, tentacle, spork, or vulcan nerve pinch. 

Simple answer if you want to model it with a sword go for it, if not, thats fine too.  Both are correct, WYSIWYG, and identical models in the rules.

EDIT:Ninja'd by Raktra
You ignorant Mon-keigh and your rotting corpse of a god, may Khaine strike you down swift and true and ease your suffering.

Ankhet come play a fun online game.

Offline DRGNLRD

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 08:49:18 PM »
Thanks for the fast replies. It's confusing because I've yet to get the marines on the field of battle. I was thinking that he would be affected in an assault if he did not have the chainsword.

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 08:53:09 PM »
The chainsword alone holds no benefit, so their is no real point in modelling it.

I find it funny that chainswords hold no more benefit than 1 extra CC attack if used with another CC weapon.  It's like saying a chainsword can swipe 1 more time than punching alone, yet still as strong as a regular punch.  Then what's the importance of a chainsword?  Fashion statement?  Chainsword no stronger than a kitchen knife?

::)

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 08:54:31 PM »
I've always wondered that too. You'd think they would give +1 strength or something.

Offline augustmanifesto

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 07:17:39 PM »
I too wonder about that one. Either that or giving it an AP 5 has always made sense to me.
join 40k0 on facebook!

Biff Puzzled his brains. He thunk fast. The Emp was the Emp, natch. Techs worshiped the Emp. Even Scum swore by the Emp...The Emp was megabossgod. Yet who was the Emp? Where was the Emp?
Everwhere. Nowhere
Somewhere.
Not Here...
So maybe nowhere near.
Maybe the Emp was further away than Biff could imagine. And even more mega.