News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Death guard vs. Imperial guard, the ultimate battle.  (Read 699 times)

Offline shmee shmee

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning
Death guard vs. Imperial guard, the ultimate battle.
« on: June 25, 2005, 03:51:30 AM »
 Hi I'm playing on friday (800 pts) and I MUST win for male honour and first I'll post his list then mine:

Santioned physker
veteran person?????????
4 special guardsman w/ bolters ( sorry don't know the name lol)

5 storm troopers
2 w/ plasma guns
deep strike

5 storm troopers
2 w/ plasma guns
deep strike

4 ogryns

4 ogryns

1 basilisk

1 leman russ demolisher.

and this is mine:

great unclean one 150pts ( for durability around the field)

pedator w/ twin link las. and two las sponsons 165pts
mutated hull (to rape those tanks)

7 death guard w/ 1 plasma gun 168 pts

7 death guard w/ 2 plasma guns 168 pts
AC w/ powerfist (for the ogryns)

7 death guard w/ 2 plasma guns 168 pts
AC w/ powerfist (for the ogryns)

it was harry...

Offline Necromortis

• Deprieved Sorceror
  • Ancient
Re: Death guard vs. Imperial guard, the ultimate battle.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 11:20:08 AM »
Ok, first, this game is about fun, so you don't have to win.  It's that kind of attitude that leads to powergaming and bad sportsmanship.

Anyway, I'll critique your list now :)

-Ok, first.  Your Great Unclean One is going to be possessing one of your AC's.  Which means that you'll lose one model with a Powerfist (and you've only got two).  What I suggest if giving the other Plague Marine squad another AC and giving him Daemonic Chains.  You only have to pay for D. Chains because the AC is free.

-The predator's ok, but it's the one that's going to get raped if you don't deploy it right.

-Give the AC's something else, like D. Mutation, to help them against the Ogryns.

-I also don't really like the Great Unclean One, but he could work...

~Necro

Offline Apathizer

• "A witty saying proves nothing." ~Voltaire
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 08:18:22 PM »
Okay. You don't need to worry too much. You will win hands down. You know why? Your Imperial Guard playing friend only outnumbers a Death Guard list by 3 models. Ouch.

Don't even worry about the Ogryns. Wasted points on his part. If they get too close for comfort it shouldn't take more than a single squad's firepower to take down a squad of those things. The tanks you'll have a little more trouble with. Go for the basilisk first, then the demolisher, unless the demolisher is speeding towards your lines.

My only real problem with your list (aside from what Necromortis has already mentioned) is that all of your anti-tank firepower is concentrated into one tank. All of it. If you lose that predator you're screwed. I'd suggest hiding it turn 1 so it isn't mashed right off the bat. Make sure you shoot their tanks before they shoot yours. Their tanks are the only real threat to your army, except for those plasma guns. Have your Plague Marines gun down those storm troopers ASAP. Other than that, looks good.
There is a not a shred of evidence in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Offline Kenaz the Red Returns

• Truth in the eye of the beholder. Behold his eyes.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 10:42:06 PM »
the other two hit on the head. also don;t for get that the AC that will be possessed will fight with a S7. and if you really want to screw with him get that squad close to the Ogryns as you GUO should make meat of then and can't be singled out for fire while in CC (also the free psi of gifts of chaos he would be cool, seeing ogryns turn into spawns :D  )