News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 Chaos Marines: Foot-slogging  (Read 1539 times)

Offline -Dark Fire-

• Previously Spear of Khaine
1000 Chaos Marines: Foot-slogging
« on: June 3, 2010, 06:46:03 AM »
So, over the summer I might try and relight a bit of WH goodness - but being short on time and money I have been going through the various codexi and making footslogging lists - so no mech. basically. Dreadnoughts and whatnot are allowed but that's about it. Needs to be fairly low model count for afore-mentioned reasons. Anyway, here's chaos' go - slight variation on the list posted - just a matter of Oblit. v. better equipment really. Any radical changes people can see? Positive comments or constructive criticism wanted . No comments simply like - well the Prince needs Warptime and a Mark - without telling me how to get the points from elsewhere ;).

Obviously it's not going to be highly competitive but I'm a decent enough player and it'll be for casual/semi-comp. games.

Cheers for any replies.

HQ:

Daemon Prince: Wings (130)

Troops:

8 Plague Marines: 2 Meltaguns, Plague Champion, Power Fist (234)

8 Plague Marines: 2 Meltaguns, Plague Champion, Power Fist (234)

6 Plague Marines: 2 Plasma Guns (168) - could be 8,7,7 in turns of set up for these but the 6 man squad will mainly hunker down in terrain on an objective and snipe.

Heavy Support:

3 Obliterators (225)

-------------------------------------------------OR--------------------------------------------------

HQ:

Daemon Prince: Wings (130)

Troops:

7 Plague Marines: 2 Meltaguns (181)

7 Plague Marines: Meltagun, Flamer (176)

7 Plague Marines: 2 Flamers, Plague Champion, Power Fist (211)

Heavy Support:

2 Obliterators (150)

2 Obliterators (150)
'There is no art more beautiful and diverse as the art of death.'

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline Lord Tyrannicus

• Anti-Power Fist Activist.
Re: 1000 Chaos Marines: Foot-slogging
« Reply #1 on: June 3, 2010, 08:05:16 AM »
Yeah footsloggers, sticking it to the man. You make me proud.

I like the second list much better than the first, the split Obliterators let you have better flexibility for Tank Hunting, which is important when you aren't putting your short range AT exactly where you want it.

I think a loadout on your Plague Marines like this might work a little better:

5 Plague Marines: 2 Plasma Guns (145)

7 Plague Marines: 2 Flamers, Plague Champion, Power Sword (201)

7 Plague Marines: 2 Meltaguns, Plague Champion, Power Sword (211)

Now the Plasma Gun squad can hold a home objective, or hold out in some cover and just provide a bit of fire support for the troops, since the Obliterators will likely be focusing on vehicles I think a little extra fire support will be useful.

The other 2 squads can advance or hold for a counter charge. I assume they can still fill the same role you originally intended for them. There is enough points left for 1 Power Fist, but personally I much prefer Power Weapons, so you can spend those extra points elsewhere if you want.

So:

Daemon Prince: Looks fine for 1000pts, obviously Warptime would be good but is a few too many points out of reach, I've left points for a Mark if you like my Plague Marine configuration. This guy will need to get to the enemy fast and just cause some early havoc to take pressure off your other troops and might get some scare tactics happening to if your lucky.

Plague Marines: As I said earlier, or if you wish to use them as you have loaded them, then I think they will still be ok, but without any Power attacks they will be a little unimpressive in combat. I'm also not a big fan of mixing special weapons, mostly just because I've never tried it, but the consensus is that a pair of the same is better. Alternatively you could swap out one squad for a Chaos Marine Squad, which will be a little cheaper, but then again a little weaker too.

Obliterators: Should work fine for AT, I would be inclined to set them up with a nice vantage point with the rest of your army and have them as AT mainly. I wouldn't suggest deepstriking them, as stated earlier they are your only AT for early in the game.

Hope that's helpful.

~ Lord Tyrannicus
~ Lord Tyrannicus

Offline -Dark Fire-

« Reply #2 on: June 3, 2010, 09:07:05 AM »
Yep - mixed weapons was simply for point saving.

Hmmm, personally I like power fists a lot better on Plague Marines with initiative 3 - the power sword is pointless when you're going to be striking last anyway.

Yeah I'd really like to keep the 4 Oblits but I'm also thinking of mixing up the first list - because I'm 9 points short there  (thanks to comments on other forums). 777 or 876 (dropping a PM from the original set-up) on the squads - keep the powerfists and grab a Mark of Nurgle and Doombolt (or Warp Time and an Icon) on the prince. How about that as a change. The Oblit's are still there as a 3 unfortunately but hey. 

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline -Dark Fire-

« Reply #3 on: June 3, 2010, 09:19:57 AM »
Damn realised some mispointing ness... Have corrected now and incorporated other suggestions.

HQ:

Daemon Prince: Mark of Nurgle, Wings (150)

Troops:

7 Plague Marines: 2 Meltaguns, Plague Champion, Power Fist, Icon (226)

7 Plague Marines: 2 Plasma Guns, Plague Champion, Power Fist (231)

6 Plague Marines: 2 Plasma Guns (168)

Heavy Support:

3 Obliterators (225)

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline Host of the Tumultuous Storm

• My name + Host of the Tumultous Storm(Night Lords)
    • Team Snake Eyes
« Reply #4 on: June 3, 2010, 02:51:48 PM »
Well strategy wise, i would suggest against having the plasma gunners sit and snipe.  At my store, at least, every player and his cat droppods a dreadnought onto an objective.  any time i play my caos army, i keep at least one meltagun in my PM's camping an objective, because i know it's coming.

I don't know about where you play, but might want to try that, just for some added insurance.  Rather kill it without having to charge it, lose a PM or two, and then whiff on your PF attacks, right?

Offline Lord Tyrannicus

« Reply #5 on: June 3, 2010, 05:43:11 PM »
If you change the squad with a Champion to have 2 Flamers and then drop the Icon you can afford to put the 7th guy in the 3rd squad. I personally like to have a set of each special weapons, any reasons for not taking Flamers? It's fair enough if every other army is mech or something similar, just curious.

Just a question, the Personal Icon, are you going to deepstrike the Obliterators?

You could split the Obliterators 2 - 1, that way you can still fire on 2 different vehicles, not quite as effective but unless you intended to deepstrike them altogether or something then I can't see why not.

~ Lord Tyrannicus
~ Lord Tyrannicus

Offline -Dark Fire-

« Reply #6 on: June 4, 2010, 03:12:59 AM »
I don't think I'd get to use them to be honest (flamers) - unless mounted up in a rusty Rhino.
I haven't been to my LGS for a while, or the other gaming club in town, but it'll definetly have plenty of MEQ armies floating around, Tyranid MCs... Plasma is least risky on Plagues anyway.

The Icon was a spare 5 points, and does offer me a little tactical flexibility if I want to mix it up. Most of the time the Oblits would sit back and snipe, or move up into cover and snipe - but hey, nice to have the flexibility if facing IG (with 'sitting back' Basilisks/Hydras etc.).

If I decide not to deepstrike I'll most definetly split them up (maybe not for KPs but hey).

Laconfir of Biel-Tan

Offline Lord Tyrannicus

« Reply #7 on: June 4, 2010, 06:00:37 PM »
Well with that in mind I think you've done pretty well, the list looks pretty good to me, I can't find any major problems with it, so give it a test run I guess.

Hope it does well.

Foot-sloggers for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~ Lord Tyrannicus
~ Lord Tyrannicus