News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: help with my first chaos armys  (Read 1164 times)

Offline The Oncoming Storm

• Which end of my bolter do i point at the enemy?
help with my first chaos armys
« on: June 28, 2008, 04:41:16 AM »
hi there, i am considering starting a small chaos force.

i have been collecting Blood Angels for over a year and a half now, and i'd like to expand into some Chaos but a more shooty army rather than CC based like the BA.

i have no clue what armys and legions exist or what rules are good because i cant afford codexs like toilet roll because i'm not the richest man alive.

Please help me so i can truly be the oncoming storm and be feared

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
Re: help with my first chaos armys
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 04:45:53 AM »
Well mate there are no legions with the new dex, any thing can be used in any army...the only things that differenciate one chaos army from another is basically apint scheme :)

How many points you planning on playing?

Do you want infantry or mech?

Lots of things to consider, do you want to use cult marines? (plague marines and the like...) or jst regular marines?

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 05:30:00 AM »

How many points you planning on playing?

Do you want infantry or mech?

Lots of things to consider, do you want to use cult marines? (plague marines and the like...) or jst regular marines?

erm, only a small force so about 1500pts

i'm not sure if i want mechs as my BA army doesnt have more than land speeders and baal preds, so maybe but i'd like to start off with just some normal infantry.

i dont have much clue about chaos so what cult marines exist? and any sdpecial rules for including them in an army?

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 05:42:40 AM »
I dont know how much i can give away due to copyright or something but anyway:

Chaos space marines - MEQS but spikey, and have champions with special weapon options :)

Plague marines - Expensive, great at absorbing fire and hard to kill + good special weapons

Nosie marines - Shooty shooty and shooty :)

Thousand sons - They are great very expensive champion with physcic powers

Bezerkers - Prettty cool guys with furious charge and rock in CC.

For 1.5kpts i'd go with:

2 squads of shooty units ( So regular, plague marines or noise marines)

and one CC squad, i'd go plague marines because they can hold there own.

Give each squad a rhino for added speed and mobility.

Honestly we can make a good fire army, my 1.5k and 2kpts list is kinda shooty

I go for this tactic:

I advance and use close range special weapons (i have around 15 melta-guns in my 2k pts list) and then charge whats left :)

EDIT: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=164405.0

that is my 1.5kpts and 2kpts list, i'd advise getting the codex tho matey. It'll help get you started. Buy the codex before you buy any models and you can play around with lists etc...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 05:44:09 AM by watty »

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 07:05:14 AM »
i'm in the process of wrtiting up an atmy list for a 'generic' chaos army, they r going to have theirt own fluff and paint scheme of my own design.

I'm also considering getting the new citadel wash's to improve my flat colours on my BA and my future chaos, think its worth it?

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »
Generic would be cool, so infantry based footsloggers. That could work, what do you want to include and i'll help you work with that because at the moment i don't have much info on what you want.

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:22:23 AM »
IMO.

Go with a Lord of Sor.
Some Joe CSM troops
THen add in either Raptors or havocs.

Go out use them, then see what you want/need.

Running alot even with IoCG.... get some fearless troops.
Like CC or like shooting, there are Cult troops more geared toward those extremes...
Don't want static hvy. weapons... get tanks or oblits.
Like/not like the speed of raptors, get something else.

It's better to start with the Joes in the army then branch out to other units, IMO.

First things First, get the Codex and read throught it, pick the stuff that are 'cool'....that's always a good place to start.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 01:04:18 PM »
Sanctjud i'm ashamed...no nurgle references in that post :O i guess your guna lul him into a false sense of security THEN infect him?

But yeah, start basic and branch out. Its easier to decide what you like on the playing field rather that on paper. Trust me :D 9 armies later...

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 01:13:19 PM »
Well, it's not like I'm gonna force feed him Nurgle... then have more interweb politics....

Yes, Nurgle is pretty tough, great objective takers.... and sport the bread and butter of a chaos army: Power Fists and Special Weapons.

But, letting the OP find out how 'fragile'... ( even though MEQ's are the 40k standar )... CSM's are.... it'll only make converting over to Grandfather Nurgle all the more easier.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline 4084595657

• Grot
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 01:17:05 PM »
Yeah, i do like plaguemarines :)

@ OP

I'd advise experimenting with each cult marine choice before you settle on a god, simply because  each one is so much different than the last.

But going off what sanctjud said, yes CSM are fairly fragile in comparison to plague marines. So if you think they are good then the best is yet to come. But CSM can perform multiple roles cheaply.

Offline Drizzle

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 01:56:38 PM »
If I were to make a "pure shooty" CSM army, i'd field one unit of Ksons with a Sorc with probably Bolt of Change (more for easy wounding of MCs than for tanks) and use those guys to hit the "harder" targets (fortuned avatars/wrathguard, for instance). Then I'd grab 3-4 smallish (think 6 or so) units of Noise Marines with sonic blasters (maybe one or two with a blastmaster, just for pinning purposes) and Assault 2 my way up the board. Grab a unit of chosen or with all meltas or all plasmas, maybe 8 men strong with an icon of chaos glory for tanks/HQs. Alternatively, a few small raptor squads with a slaanesh icon, lclaw champion, and maxed out special weapons could fill this role. Then round out your list with Oblits and Defilers to taste.

For an HQ, I'd probably grab a tzeentch lord and a daemon weapon, for even more Assault Shooting.

Very similar to the list I run now, but with less emphasis on CC and more emphasis on shooting.
Absolute power corrupts absolutely, but only Chaos gives you eyes inside your mouth.
I also do agree with Sanctjud with what he is saying.

A typo, sure, but still eerily accurate...
(Sentinels are) "A heavy weapons team on stilts and raped in plywood" if you were.