News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eighth Edition News  (Read 71076 times)

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
Re: Eighth Edition News
« Reply #600 on: August 30, 2017, 07:41:26 PM »
It's going to vary a lot depending on the area, the current customer base and the guys who run the stores.
Locally we've had a really big upsurge in younger kids starting the hobby. Boxes like First Strike make it really easy to get playing at a lower entry point.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #601 on: August 30, 2017, 09:09:16 PM »
They announced (at NOVA) CWE, Nids and IG codex's for November!

It seems the chapter approved book is going to include updated points costs for many armies, as well as additional army rules. I thought the point of 8th was to not have rules spread across a billion books?

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #602 on: August 31, 2017, 07:30:16 AM »
So happy to hear about this suite of codices coming so soon. I think its great for the game. You've got some of the core factions represented really soon out the gate, with some major sub factions represented as well. Awesome news!

@Partninja- I think its pretty unavoidable. The game has sooooo many factions, sub-factions etc. Also I'm quite happy to see new units be released without need for a codex... and to have them balanced via Chapter Approved if they prove crazy or crappy.  I'll also take the "living rules" at the cost of extra books every time. 

Also its probably the 2nd Edition AD&D player in me but I love diving through all the books to find all the esoteric stuff.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #603 on: August 31, 2017, 09:06:30 AM »
They announced (at NOVA) CWE, Nids and IG codex's for November!

It seems the chapter approved book is going to include updated points costs for many armies, as well as additional army rules. I thought the point of 8th was to not have rules spread across a billion books?

Once everyone has a codex, it'll be easy. Chapter Approved is a good way to update the index bound factions which don't have a codex yet. Once they get their codex, that'll be all they need. Nice for the folks who'll be waiting a while (like my Harlequins).
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #604 on: August 31, 2017, 10:20:44 AM »
The idea of streamlining is meant to include the number of books and publications, as well as the rules, so the possibility that there could be codices published, which subsequently have changed made by a Chapter Approved publication, would undermine the concept of simplifying the game.  This was one of the reasons why GW did away with Chapter Approved and rules in White Dwarf in the past.  The idea was to stop players having to reference so many publications.  They're just reinventing the wheel here.

Had GW published all the unit data sheets and points values for all the armies free online and provided online amendments, and then left all the narrative and other material for published codices for players who wanted to pay for them, this approach would be acceptable, but if, and I do stress if, it's going to be necessary to buy codices and Chapter Approved, on top of the cost of the indices for those players who invested in them, that really would be a retrograde step.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:23:58 AM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #605 on: August 31, 2017, 10:54:50 AM »
Gotta agree with Irisado. While the game may be healthier and better balanced than it has been for a while, the whole "we siphon money from you in the form of endless overlapping rulesets" seems to be exactly the same as its been for the last two editions.

The Index books should be free, first of all--basic datasheets, easy to get. Codexes should be as they have always been. Chapter Approved had better be cheap to buy. If it's another $55 USD hardback, I'm going to be grumpy. 

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #606 on: August 31, 2017, 10:58:27 AM »
As Irisado said, a potential problem, which we won't know till Chapter Approved comes out, is whether there'll be any changes to already released codexes. So Index -> Codex -> Chapter Approved all within six months. That'd be a big ball of suck caused by the rush to publication. FAQs we all understand. They're also free and don't require another book purchase.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:35:51 AM by The GrimSqueaker »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #607 on: August 31, 2017, 06:24:36 PM »
What I have been told by local GW store owner, is they are going to be making this all into an app (like in AOS) which puts all the FAQ's and updates etc added in automatically. So you are just referencing one item - the app, and you are good from there.

Mind you, I was told this back in May, so we shall see if it comes to be at all...
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #608 on: August 31, 2017, 06:44:09 PM »
They did say there will be an army builder like warscroll builder, or azyr released after the launch of 40k, but not immediately. I could imagine that they'd want to get the bulk of codex's out first.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria