News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Ninja Project (Mostly Eldar - sometimes other dudes)  (Read 9761 times)

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
The Ninja Project (Mostly Eldar - sometimes other dudes)
« on: November 7, 2017, 08:47:20 PM »
So I have recently sold A LOT of my old Eldar range. A lot of them were from before 4th edition that I got for really cheap. Some of them were just painted poorly and I want to revamp my collection. This Plog will be mostly Eldar related but I will likely post about my Blood Angels (Flesh Tearers), Necrons, and Scions armies as I see fit.

To start off I'll share some conversion work I'm doing. Painted models will come a little later once I figure out a better setting to light them properly.

First up some a sample of my converted Shining Spears. I had several unopened boxes of the old jetbike kits. I used those along with some Dark elf bitz from ebay:

And an Autarch Skyrunner (using obvious bitz):

Swooping hawk Exarch, and normal trooper with hacked scourge wings:

Since Fire Prisms get to fire two shots now, I felt it fitting to give them two cannons:

Currently I'm still digesting the new codex. I was initially going to run a Biel-tan focused list for most games. However, at 1500 points I'm finding it difficult to fit enough shuriken weapons in (to make the bonus worth it) while still having a few aspect units. The aspect units felt super lack luster without getting much benefit and preferring other craftworld bonuses. I just really liked the Biel-tan stratagem. I'll likely be going with a more "warp ninja" theme using mostly Alaitoc. This craftworld will be making use of altered holofield technology that utilizes the warp to skew the area around them.

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: The Ninja Project (Mostly Eldar - sometimes other dudes)
« Reply #1 on: November 7, 2017, 09:12:03 PM »
G'day Partninja!
 WOW! They're all looking Micky Mouse. How samurai does that Shining Spear look? Nice touch to the Autarch and I hope you magnetized the fire prism, mate. Rules change with every edition, so as good as it looks now it may be out of place in 9th.

Thanks for sharing/inspiring, Partninja. You've done a remarkable job so far... Be well!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #2 on: November 7, 2017, 09:19:11 PM »
That double-barreled fire prism is just awesome! Those scourge wings are also just so sweet on the hawks. I had to convert mine the same way, as the wings they come with are just rinky-dink.

Keep em coming. Can't wait to see some paint on those bad boys.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: November 7, 2017, 09:53:20 PM »
The first autarch has a samurai feel to it :)

The scourge wings on the swooping hawks looks awesome, but after playing with scourges, I would probably restrict it to the exarch.

The double barren fire prism reminds me of the scorpion :)

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: November 7, 2017, 10:22:08 PM »

@ Magenb-
The first model is a Shining Spear. They all will look this way.

The Autarch is specifically different so that he can fit different lists. His head is pinned so I might swap it for something else when I think of something more suitable. Was thinking of putting the "samurai horns" on a storm guardian helmet

I like the way the Scourge wings look on the group of 6 I have done so far. The Exarch will be painted a little different to make him stand out (the tall and flat pose of the wings makes him stand out as well).

The scorpion was part of the inspiration for sure.

@Saim-hann:
Yep it's magnetized don't worry. Although it's pretty fiddly. Even if they lose the double shot ability I was planning on modeling them this way anyway. It just looks cool.

@dog_of_war:
Thanks for the kind words dude.

---------------------------------

If anyone was curious this is the first list I'm mulling around for the moment. I have points left and haven't picked a relic or warlord trait yet. Also not sure I'm going to use an Autarch at all yet. Still very work in progress. It's a battalion and one smaller elite detachment for the extra CP. Both Alaitoc. 3CP will to put the Banshees and the Guardian blob in the webway. The Spiders and Hawks will also likely start in reserves.

Autarch Skyrunner - Laser Lance (108)
Warlock Skyrunner (70)
5x Rangers (60)
5x Rangers (60)
20x Guardian Defenders (160)*
10x Howling Banshees - Executioner (133)*
Fire Prism - Spirit Stones (165)
Spiritseer (45)
10x Swooping Hawks (130)*
6x Shining Spear - Star Lance (188)
10x Warp Spiders - Exarch 2x Death Spinners (188)*

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #5 on: November 8, 2017, 07:44:28 AM »
Hey Ninja! Off to an EXCELLENT start! Super, super clean conversions and kitbashes. The wings on Hawks are beyond awesome and I love the Spear conversions. Also a note on the Autarch... I'm pretty sure GW wants people to use the Avenger Exarch as an Autarch as the foot Autarch features a beefed up version of the Avenger Glaive, so I think it was a timely conversion on your part and one that looks very suitable. Also, the double barelled Prism... yeah pretty much in love with that.

How are you going to paint them? Are you going to Biel-Tan colors? Or something unique? Fascinated to know. I'm looking forward to seeing color on those Spears!

I'm suprised you are down on the Aspects is it just how they couple with Biel-Tan? Cause I'm super stoked on my Aspect Warriors. Especially the guys more suited for rumbling with Guard.

As for your list it looks really good IMO. My only concern would be a bit more anti-tank and perhaps trying to squeeze a second Warlock in there so you could have Quicken and Protect. But if you are facing lots of infantry on think this list should pummel. The Spiders, Hawks and (Webway Strike?) Guardians should obliterate hordes. I'm planning on something very similar. Iyaden might suit too... keep those Prisms full operational, longer and those big squads will have great morale control. Just a thought.

Anyway so glad you hopped on the Project Logs. I think you are off to a hot start with these really cool conversions. You've really modernized these classic sculpts and I'm loving what I see so far. Great stuff Ninja keep us posted!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: November 8, 2017, 10:14:09 AM »
I'll be using my own color pallet of red, black and white.

I'm not down on the Aspects, just for a Biel-tan I feel they don't benefit since other than Avengers they don't make a large use of shuriken weapons. The LD boost is "meh" to me. I do really like the stratagem though (specially with scorpions). This is why I'm looking more towards Alaitoc now.

This first list will be mostly a trial of the updated units. At my LGS there aren't a ton of vehicles at 1500 points. The ones that do use several are usually weaker vehicles anyway so the spiders and shining spears can help out if needed.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: November 9, 2017, 07:19:13 PM »
Nice work :) interesting that 'samurai' was my first thought when I saw the Shining Spear too, and I'm a little bit enamoured with your regular Scourge-Hawk conversion. The pose just strikes me as completely natural and fluid; wings, legs and gun posed exactly where they would be if he was just taking off from his base. Nicely done!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 10:40:35 PM »
-Alaitoc -
Warlock -  Quicken/Restrain - Shiftshroud(35)*
Warlock Skyrunner - Singing Spear  - Empower/Enervate (75)
5x Rangers (60)
5x Rangers (60)
20x Guardian Defenders - 2x Shuriken Cannon (190)*
10x Howling Banshees - Executioner (133)*
-Alaitoc-
Autarch Skyrunner - Laser Lance (108)
10x Swooping Hawks - Hawk’s Talon(133)*
6x Shining Spear - Star Lance (188)
10x Warp Spiders - Exarch 2x Death Spinners (188)*

This will be the first codex list I run on Sunday. Not sure what list my friend will be bringing (he plays Orks, DE, Harlies and Death watch). Also not sure which warlord trait I'm giving the Autarch yet.

This is mostly a list to experiment with the above units and see how they perform. If a unit has a "*" it means it will probably/potentially start in reserves (either naturally or webway).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:42:33 PM by Partninja »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 07:49:11 AM »
Nice. This actually feels like a super classic list. Like a 2nd of 3rd ed list... which is so awesome. Its great to see these kinds of lists again. Classic. I'm surprised you are all in on those Spiders though. I think they are good for sure, especially with Fire+Fade and Alaitoc for -2 to hit. I wouldnt take them out by any stretch I'm just curious why you went 10 strong and what you see them going after. In fact I'd like to know what you think their ideal targets are going forward. I think they'll be great against infantry, but I'm hoping Tyranids become resurgent because I think they'd be great going against stuff like Hive Guard, Warriors and the sort of mid-class bugs. 

Also I whole heartedly agree with your deepstriking plans. I like the asterisk to denote that. Gotta include that in my lists.

Anyway love the list. Give us a little bat-rep if you can. I'm trying to gather as much intel as possible. Good luck Ninja and again love the list!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 09:19:28 AM »
I'm usually not one for min squads on infantry units except for reapers, wraithguard and biker units. Partly OCD and partly I expect a few casualties and want the unit to still be effective.

I view spiders how I've always viewed them. A fast reactionary support unit. They put out a lot of shots, at a decent strength with a chance of cutting through some armor. Decent against infantry and can help put some wounds on lighter vehicles or medium sized models.

Edit: Not totally sold on an Autarch but I'm trying him out. I'm not expecting to make any CP back and I'm not sure how useful the hit rerolls will be. Thinking about giving him the Alaitoc warlord trait for the morale or perhaps just the extra wound and 6+++.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:28:08 PM by Partninja »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 08:46:05 PM »
Reroll with the Spears are useful, for me they normally mean an extra couple of hits, so normally an extra kill.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 10:10:03 PM »
True but for less points, a warlock could just increase their weapon skill. Granted, the warlock itself wouldn't have much punch itself.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 04:38:19 PM »
True but for less points, a warlock could just increase their weapon skill. Granted, the warlock itself wouldn't have much punch itself.

The chances are against you for the warlock getting that spell off and it could still be blocked. Auratch is more points, but its buff just works and he is a beast on charge.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 06:18:33 PM »
So I played my game today against my friends DE. I won, mostly because the open war mission utilized 3 objectives and had a win condition that allowed me to easily win. If you controlled all 3 by the end of the round, you automatically won. I went second and was able to hold my objective and have more models on the other two than my opponent. I also had a bit of luck in that I was able to webway the Banshees, infiltrate the one warlock with shiftshroud, and get off quicken on the Banshees.

He also had a more experimental list so I don't want to give a total play by play. I do have a few notes.

Webwaying 20 guardians is pretty good. They still really want Doom and/or guide support (or the Ulthwe black guardians stratagem). It took all of their shooting to kill 7 wracks leaving one model..They did have a 6+++, and buffed from the Homong HQ.

Swooping Hawks. Not sold on these guys yet. Their range and deep strike works well for Alaitoc. They have a lot of shots but the strength of those shots just isn't there. I like them as a back line harassment unit and doom might not always be available. It took all of their 40 shots to just barely kill 5 warriors in a piece of terrain. They were ultimately killed. By a small counter unit of Mandrakes who are pretty good. If you face a lot of T3 armies I can see them being a must have every time. Verdict still out on these.

Warp Spiders - Total bosses now that they can deep strike again. They killed two Ravagers with average rolls and put the hurt on a Talos engine thing. Flicker jump and excellent movement kept them from losing a single model alone. Didn't even need to throw any saves. Great against infantry and can definitely help against lighter MC/AV.

Fire Prisms - These were among my favorite models when I started. I was pretty unlucky with my rolls. Wiffed a lot of their shots trying to take out his two raiders. When I did get to roll damage, I rolled a lot of 1s and 2s. At one point I gave up and just tried some dispersed shots and rolled pretty poorly on my 2D6. Not saying they're bad. I got pretty unlucky, but I feel Reapers would have been more consistent. The higher strength and AP of those lance shots can be really useful though.

Shining Spears - Sadly my opponent seized initiative (in fact, he's seized all 8 games against me this edition...WTF) and they were shot up on turn one losing 3 models. The last three destroyed a raider by themselves though between shooting and overkill in assault. Definitely a good all around similar to the Warp Spiders. I had wanted to fling these guys across the table with quicken bit they didn't get a chance to.

Banshee bombs - Didn't realize their acrobatic extra movement is contingent upon having also advanced. So I'm not going to use them this way. It would require quicken or the Biel-tan strat but then I could just do that with Scorpions/Spears (if Biel-tan) or quicken some Wraithblades instead. Or just drop some D-scythes or other such shooty unit honestly...

Autarch - Specifically take one for the reroll bubble. I was only able to recover one command point of my 7. This is statistically correct but not worth forcing him to start on the table or be taken at all. The rerolls for free is useful and helped the guardians and Spears get some work done. A Farseer with doom or guide is good too assuming the enemy doesn't have a good chance to deny.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 07:25:03 AM »
Congrats on the win Ninja. I'm surprised by some of the results though. I 20 Guardians to kill 6 Wracks seems incredibly porr. I'm guessing they were T5 though? It seems weird because I put more wounds on Biker Librarians with only 15 Shuriken Corsairs... but hey its a dice game. Surprised by the results with the Hawks too. Your opponent must have had fire dice to survive 40 shots from the Hawks. I had awesome luck with their lasblasters in 7th ed and I was only running 6. They'd regularly tear up IG Veteran Squads... Very happy to hear about the Spiders though.

Also I'm not sure why you dont want to Advance with the Banshees? Is it because you are Webwaying them in?

Anyway fascinating stuff. I've got my big game against a super competitive IG player so... looking forward to see how I do. Excited to compare notes. Anyway great stuff and thanks for keeping us posted

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 10:03:16 AM »
Yes. When I say "Banshee Bomb" I am deep striking them with the webway.

Thanks wracks were infact being buffed by an HQ. Not saying 20 Guardians is bad, just that I didn't happen to roll well. Against a lot of targets they'll still want some sort of reroll help (hits and/or wounds).

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 07:02:53 AM »
G'day Partninja!
Agreed, mate, Guardians are way better with guide/doom. Especially when most of the time some of the rerolled wounds become 6's. Your opponents just love it... Pointy ears forever!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:04:23 AM by Saim-dann »

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 04:12:32 PM »
My Russian not-warp spiders came in today.

Took about a month from payment to arrival (I ordered them from ebay). I ordered two groups of five. Each group was in a plastic bag, and they were both wrapped in bubble wrap. Detail is pretty good. A few bubble spots. Minor flash. Found one broken bit (one fin on the front of a spinner. I can make a new one) and the waist area on the legs has spots so thin there is a hole...Once the torso is glued in it's easily filled in. Overall happy with them. Taking a break from my tedious Shining Spears conversion to work on these.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 05:02:03 PM »
Daaaaang!
The postie messed up again. Am pretty sure they were meant to arrive at my house, PN. You can re-mail them to Saim-Dann/Luckyyou St/Jealousberg/Australia. Thanks, mate... Be well!