News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Open War Cards  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Open War Cards
« on: August 30, 2017, 05:20:24 PM »
So, I've played a handful of game so far with the Open War cards, and they are a lot of fun! You never really know what to expect with the cards, so it definitely requires a flexible list.

If folks don't know what it is, the open war cards are a way to set up more casual/narrative games. There are a few decks of cards you draw from. Deployment, Objective, Twist and then ruses/sudden death.

So, each game will have a different combination of deployment styles (some are pretty wacky and fun, and the others are old favourites), the objectives are anywhere from objective grabbing to assassinating VIP's (kill point missions award points based on killed units Power Level, which is nice to see).

Twists, add something extra to the game to spice things up. Warp Flux, Acid Rain, Debris falling from the sky. All add extra challenges or change the way the game might play, but are not too complicated to bog things down.

If one player has a lower Power Rating for their army, they can get a Ruse which is a one time use ability to give them a small edge.

Overall, it's been a blast and has been an enjoyable alternative to standard book missions.

Anyone else been using them?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Open War Cards
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 05:55:51 PM »
Yeah, I've had a few matches with them so far, it just makes life easier instead of rolling and flipping through books. Plus you can leave them on the table and check them any time. The courier mission is great fun, both side have to try and kill the other courier while protecting their own, that game we got the regen twist, so a unit could get back D3 Wounds.

There are some down right brutal deployments zones in those cards too, one I had had both zones touch in the middle, with only a 12" gap on either side. Had Mangus first turn charge me.. youch!

Lots of fun highly recommend them.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Open War Cards
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 06:42:26 PM »
Oh man, I just played the courier yesterday, it was a blast. My opponent chose his Beast Master, and I chose my Custodes Shield Captain  ;D The deployment was me in the middle, and him on both flanks.

Played the comet today, which was neat.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria