News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 Ork List for Local Tournament  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Grimdakka

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
1850 Ork List for Local Tournament
« on: February 2, 2014, 12:20:35 AM »
Hey all, I'm just getting back into the game after not playing for quite some time. Last game I played was at the beginning of 4th edition, most of my experience with the game was in 3rd.

Anyway, I was hoping to get some C+C going on this 1850 pts list I plan on bringing to a local tournament.

-----

1850 Pts  -   Orks Army

1 Warboss (HQ) @ 155 Pts
     Cybork Body; Attack Squig; Power Klaw; Shoota / Skorcha; Twin-linked
     Dakkaguns; Stikkbombz; Warlord; Warbike

1 Warboss (HQ) @ 155 Pts
     Dakkaguns; Stikkbombz; Warbike

30 Ork Boyz (Troops) @ 185 Pts
     Big Shoota (x1) ( I had an extra 5 points :P ); Shoota (x29)

30 Ork Boyz (Troops) @ 180 Pts
     Shoota (x30)

Shoota (x30)

Shoota (x30)

10 Gretchin (Troops) @ 40 Pts
     Grot Blasta

1 Runtherd @ [10] Pts
          Grabba Stick; Slugga

15 Lootas (Elites) @ 225 Pts
     Deffguns (x15)

Deffguns (x15)

Deffguns (x15)

1 Aegis Defence Line @ 100 Pts
     Quad-gun   

Models in Army: 179

Total Army Cost: 1850

-----

The plan is pretty simple, as any proppa Ork plan should be.

The Bike Bosses hide in the Shoota mobs to avoid being shot to death turn 1, and wait for the right moment to detach from the mob and punch AV 14 and/or high-toughness creatures.

Shoota boyz move up, dakka things, and stand on objectives, assaulting if they're likely to win combat.

Lootas cower take cover behind the Aegis line, blasting anything the Shoota Boyz/Bosses can't handle

Grots are there to man the Quad gun and maybe stand on a homefield objective if the opportunity presents itself.

What do you think? Will this work? What, if anything, should I change?

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
Re: 1850 Ork List for Local Tournament
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2014, 09:23:41 AM »
My first thoughts are that I like it a lot.  I like the green tide list and find that people just don't expect to see it. Then they are already half way to losing as they think I cant possibly kill all those models! 

I like the 2 biker bosses they do what you intend them to. 

What I dont like is the Aegis quad gun and the grotz.  I just dont see the point of them.  If you're worried about flyers I cant see why you would be.  Lootas are some of the most effective anti flyer troops.  You have 45 of them which is a possible 135 shots a turn.  If you drop the aegis and quad and grotz you can free up 140 points to add more big shootas or rokkits to your shoota boy mobs, and maybe look to add some nobz to the boy squads just in case your shootas make it to combat.  They will add some punch for sure but they can also challenge a character for a turn to nullify those models that might kill fist fulls of boyz so you sacrifice one nob so 10 boyz live.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2014, 10:03:42 AM by -V- »

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #2 on: February 2, 2014, 09:46:04 AM »
Looks like a great green tide. You will do well with it. The only changes is as -V- suggested is drop the aegis and grots and add nobs with boss poles and big choppas to your shoota boys squads. As already mentioned it is so that when you meet up with that DE character that has a lot of beslubbin attacks, the nob challenges and dies but the fistfull of boys the DE character would have killed will still be around to cause damage later.

Make sure to post a pic or two of your painted green tide, it is definitely a noble undertaking to paint that many models.

My two teef
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Grimdakka

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: February 2, 2014, 11:25:14 AM »
My first thoughts are that I like it a lot.  I like the green tide list and find that people just don't expect to see it. Then they are already half way to losing as they think I cant possibly kill all those models! 

I like the 2 biker bosses they do what you intend them to. 

What I dont like is the Aegis quad gun and the grotz.  I just dont see the point of them.  If you're worried about flyers I cant see why you would be.  Lootas are some of the most effective anti flyer troops.  You have 45 of them which is a possible 135 shots a turn.  If you drop the aegis and quad and grotz you can free up 140 points to add more big shootas or rokkits to your shoota boy mobs, and maybe look to add some nobz to the boy squads just in case your shootas make it to combat.  They will add some punch for sure but they can also challenge a character for a turn to nullify those models that might kill fist fulls of boyz so you sacrifice one nob so 10 boyz live.

That's a great point, I mainly included the Aegis line in the first place to obtain a cover save for the otherwise squishy lootas, and then the grots and quad gun were just a way to fill out the points and a get a little more anti-flyer insurance. I think you're probably right on that being overkill.

Looks like a great green tide. You will do well with it. The only changes is as -V- suggested is drop the aegis and grots and add nobs with boss poles and big choppas to your shoota boys squads. As already mentioned it is so that when you meet up with that DE character that has a lot of beslubbin attacks, the nob challenges and dies but the fistfull of boys the DE character would have killed will still be around to cause damage later.

Make sure to post a pic or two of your painted green tide, it is definitely a noble undertaking to paint that many models.

My two teef

So I dropped the Aegis and Grots in favor of Big Choppa/Boss Pole Nobs for all four Shoota mobs. This left me with just enough points leftover for two pretty compelling options. I can either give the boyz 3 Big Shootas each, OR I can pick up a unit of 3 Kannons.

I think the extra range/strength will really help the Shootas contribute, especially in Hammer and Anvil deployment, however there is something to be said for the versatility, range, high strength, and low AP of the kannons, too. Which of these two options do you think is better, or would you go with something else entirely?

EDIT: As far as painting them goes, I actually haven't even purchased these models yet. I have about 4.5 months to get everything ready for the tournament, and I'm still not sure what color scheme I'd like to paint them. I was thinking Bad Moons, just because I feel like yellow is an uncommon color on the tabletop. Which clan would you guys pick for this list?
« Last Edit: February 2, 2014, 11:30:22 AM by Grimdakka »

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #4 on: February 2, 2014, 11:31:44 AM »
Ive not yet run a unit of Kannons although I do always find myself looking at them longingly like hmm I wonder. 

However I always run my shoota mobz with maxed out big shootas and find them invaluable.  The extra range and extra strength really does lend its self well to the unit and means they can threaten most things. 

That being said I guess the ultimate answer to your question will depend on what you think you'll be facing a lot of.  If you dont think there will be many vehicles then load up them big shootas.  If you suspect you might face lots of armour 12+ then it doesnt matter how big the shoota its not really going to help like a Kannon might.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: February 2, 2014, 12:16:09 PM »
If OD ever pokes his head back in here I know he would recommend the three kannons. I know he uses them and finds them useful (higher BS, better S and AP for killing most vehicles). Make sure to buy as many spare grot crew as you have points for.

Since I am a speed freak player I would recommend you paint lots of things red, however since you are not, maybe go with a Snake bite klan theme. I have seen the Bad Moon scheme alot, and while it is an easy paint scheme to follow (for some) it has been done. But, painting a whole army of snake bites would be interesting to see.

So, when you get done; post some pictures. OR: you can start a painting blog on the projects blog thread with a link back to the WoTW thread so you can earn some teef while building and painting your green tide.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #6 on: February 2, 2014, 11:49:21 PM »
I love Kannons aswell. In the very rare situation when I find myself with points left over and an unused heavy slot then the Kannons go straight in.

In 6th they are even better due to the artillery rules. I once had a BA drop dread bounce with his heavy flamer and melta. I then immobilised him and moved around the corner out of LOS and about 4" away. That had him raging all weekend.

Offline Grimdakka

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: February 4, 2014, 11:01:59 AM »
Ok, so I've revised the list a bit using advice you guys have given me, as well as the guys over at DakkaDakka. Let me know what you think.

-----

1850 Pts  -   Orks Army

1 Warboss (HQ) @ 155 Pts
     Dakkaguns; Stikkbombz; Warlord; Warbike

1 Warboss (HQ) @ 155 Pts
     Dakkaguns; Stikkbombz; Warbike

Shoota (x30)

Shoota (x30)

Shoota (x30)

Shoota (x30)

12 Lootas (Elites) @ 180 Pts
     Deffguns (x12)

Deffguns (x12)

Deffguns (x12)

3 Big Gunz (Heavy Support) @ 94 Pts
     Kannon

11 Grot Krew (Gretchin)
          Ammo Runt (x3)

1 Runtherd
               Grabba Stick

3 Big Gunz (Heavy Support) @ 94 Pts
     Kannon

11 Grot Krew (Gretchin)
          Ammo Runt (x3)

1 Runtherd
               Grabba Stick

3 Big Gunz (Heavy Support) @ 91 Pts
     Kannon

10 Grot Krew (Gretchin)
          Ammo Runt (x3)

1 Runtherd
               Grabba Stick

Models in Army: 202

Total Army Cost: 1849

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2014, 07:18:07 AM »
If OD ever pokes his head back in here I know he would recommend the three kannons.
Hardy har har Skeetergod.  But yes, I always heavily advice Kannons, and have done so since before the current edition, which is BOFFO for Artillery by the way.

But since I'm a latecomer to this rodeo, I'll only be commenting on the last posted list from Grimdakka.
To which end I'll say good luck and Waaagh on, it looks like a dead 'ard list.

This next part you are free of course to take, or leave.  Personally I have a problem with IC Bikes joining units who are on foot.  It's something that I feel is wrong, and shouldn't be allowed.  Maybe there used to be a rule preventing this, and my opinion is rooted in that, or maybe it's the inner Speed Freak in me that's just perturbed by the concept of a speed loving lunatic walking his bike with a green sea for the equivalent of a half mile before actually getting out of first gear.

Like I said, you can take or leave that at your own discretion, there is certainly nothing in the current rulebook that would negate the ability to put an IC with a Bike, Jetbike, Jetpack, Jumppack, or Calvary mount with a unit that is not similarly equipped.

What I can say is that instead of two of them, I'd rather have a KFF Mek (maybe even two) to help protect the boyz from incoming fire as they progress up the battlefield.  I really wouldn't want my Warlord to be engaging in the suicidal Boss Biker Bomb tactic, as I'm just not in the habit of giving my opponent a free Victory Point.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a win at all costs tourney style of player, but I also generally don't want to hand my opponent victory either.  Its gotta be fun for both players, and I know for me its never fun when I win a game outright with no challenge.

One of the big benefits of a KFF Mek(s) is overall cheaper HQ section, which gives you some more points to spend in the rest of the army, afterall the HQ section isn't where Orks get things done in, Orks have some amazing units that even after 6 years since the dex dropped can hold their own, but they aren't really in the HQ section.  If you replace just one of those Biker Bosses with a basic KFF Mek with Cybork and Eavy Armor (to help ward off Precision Shots and failed Look Out Sirs) you'd save 55 points, which you could handily use to plop in 3 Nobz with Bosspoles in your Shoota units and have some change left over for a couple of Big Shootas.

Speaking of which, those Nobz are still in my opinion one of the most important and integral elements of an Ork Horde.  Yes Mob Rule can and will keep a unit going thru some horrible casualties, but it only goes so far; to get the best bang for the buck with your Troop Choices/Scoring Units, you kinda need Bosspole Nobz.  Small price to pay, which is slightly a pun because they're fairly cheap in points, and you don't have to loose a Shoota to grab one for your unit of Shootaboyz.  He then can't take a Pk, but it seems like your not too focused on wanting those in the first place.

All that being said, I do think your current list can certainly net some wins, and to that end if you keep it the same or alter your list my overall wellwishing is this: Waaaagh On!

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: February 5, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »
Glad to see that OD has stirred  ;)

Now that is a green tide list that will do well.

As OD suggested, drop one warboss and his bike, and add some nobs to those boys squads. You will find after a few practice games that you do indeed need nobs with boss poles (the PK is optional for shoota boy squads).  If you let the other boss walk with the boys he can avoid most of those pesky precision shots as he can use the boys for cover and look out sir.

Not 100% sure, but I think that only similar models can benefit from look out sir, ie, a biker boss cannot get look out sir unless there are other bikers. Maybe it was last edition, maybe it is this edition, I will try to look it up later.

As I have pointed out in other threads; the orks are about being the mob, not about being the hero. If you want hero stuff play space wolves, otherwise, have a boss just so you have something to name your hoard. Like boss Grimmdakkas Waaagh...  ;) and the rest of the models are indeed the mob.  It is great fun to hear opponents lament that they don't have enough to kill all that.  ;D

Now, if I can talk you into converting to the KoS, we can really do some modifying...  ???