News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Roll Tide  (Read 1762 times)

Offline matthewe75

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Roll Tide
« on: January 26, 2014, 05:31:18 PM »
So this seems kinda ridiculous but could it work? Its 1850pts I don't have the points with me but I know its under 1850

Hq warboss, power klaw, slugga, bosspole, attack squig

Big mek, KFF, eavy armour

Troops boyz x30, shootas

Boyz x30, shootas

Boyz x30, shootas

Boyz x30, choppa and slugga

Fast attack stormboyz x16, choppa and slugga

stormboyz x16, choppa and slugga

stormboyz x16, choppa and slugga

Should be right around 1850

The idea would be to throw the stormboyz into the enemys best shooting unit and then run the table untill u slam into the enemy using hundreds of attacks. I see this working better against space marine based armies with the numbers but tau and guard may be able to just shoot this to bits. But anyways please tell me if u think its worth even trying it

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
Re: Roll Tide
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 09:46:02 PM »
Your warboss is the only thing that can kill tanks with rear armour greater than 10.
A dreadnaught will be unkillable for everyone other than him.
You have absolutely nothing which can damage an AV>10 flier.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
Looks like a good start on a green tide army. But a few recommendations.

Drop the mek, and get a second boss with similar kit, about the same points and will give you two things that can kill land raiders.

Drop the storm boys and replace them with deff coptas that have twin link rockits. The deff coptas can outflank and or scout and have the needed weapons for killing most armor. Storm boys are overcosted boys, will rather limited punch, and if they don't succeed on the charge they get wiped out quickly. A few deff coptas are the better choice.

For the boys squads, take a nob and give the nob a boss pole and a klaw. Also add in rockit boys. The nob can kill armor and can take the challenge (so he dies instead of 8 or 9 boys) of uber characters. The rockit boys can death or glory and have the punch to stand a chance, as well as have the ability to shoot at flyers with a minimal loss of BS.

If your worried about the enemies shooty stuff, take a unit of kommandoes with two flamers to get into the enemies rear and raise havoc, sure they are a bit of a suicide squad, but when they work they work well.

For about the same points as a storm boy squad you can take a squad of lootas. They have the firepower to mow down most things and even can take out most enemy flyers that may be around. If you do take them, then go ahead and take the big mek to be their leader as the lootas don't have a nob option and they will need the boss pole to keep them from running off the board every time two or three get killed.

Hope that helps, my two teef.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline matthewe75

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 01:13:57 PM »
The point was kinda to ignore fliers all together. I mean when u look at most filers used they are more tank hunters then anything and even a stormraven kitted out to kill troops cant kill more then maybe 10 boys per turn and with 180 boys it wouldn't be but a small dent in the mass and once they reach combat they don't even have to worry about killing armour cause armour can't hold objectives. So I could maybe see the deff coptas but the goal of the stormboyz is to cause panic for someone like tau if they get lucky and can make it into combat turn one or get into range that will draw a lot of fire power away from the mass.

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:37:46 PM »
Anti infantry planes off the top of my head:
-Chaos helldrake. Vector strike plus torrent flamer.
-Necron doomsythe. Draw a line and hit all the models it goes through
-IG Valkyrie. 2 large blast templates and a couple of heavy bolters
-IG Vulture. A 20 shot gattling gun.
-DE plane. payload of 4 missiles which are large blasts (fortunately can only fire 2 a turn)
-Marine storm talon. assualt cannon and heavy bolters. dirt cheap
-Marine Storm eagle. 2 large and 2 small blasts
-Tau bomber. Pretty crap but is still a large blast a turn and 4 mid strength shots

Offline matthewe75

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:11:37 PM »
Helldrake, valkyrie, storm talon, and maybe the doom scythe are the only ones I ever see armies playing with and most fliers have AV 11 or 10 somewhere and with that many shootas hitting on 5s normaly and needing 6s to hit fliers would still more then likely drop them even if it ment changing to all shootas. But this isn't ment to play against everything of course its more of a casual game list when u know who Ur playing against and what they would be bringing

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 10:31:14 PM »
I think the point is that unless your opponent is also bringing pure infantry, your list is kind of cooked. If they are bringing pure infantry, they'll be well suited to take on your guys, because everyone will have a boltgun, basically.

Armour is immune to your attacks until you get into assault, and even then, you're going to need to glance it to death by smacking rear armour on 6's.

Then his guys get out, and have another round of shooting at you, while everything else shoots at you. Then you get to kill one infantry unit... on turn... 5? Your opponent isn't going to deploy on the front line so you can run up and kick him in the teeth. You're running for 3 turns minimum, just to get into charge range on turn 4 [Chipping the paint off vehicles] to assault infantry on turn 5. This assumes that tank shocks don't force you into concentrated piles where flamers simply annihilate you. :(

To be honest, I'd have my guys fall back and you probably wouldn't get the first charge until turn 5. Could your opponent kill 40 Orks a turn, if he had full firepower and wall to wall Orks to drop pie plates on? If the Orks were avoiding cover so they didn't slow down?

For the time it would take to make and paint this list, then to actually play a game moving [224?] all those Orks, I don't think it would be that much fun, as each turn would take a good hour to move!

If your opponent has any kind of mobility, they get behind you and claim objectives which you can't really run back to claim. I just don't see it working out. You need some variety in your units.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #7 on: February 5, 2014, 09:28:56 AM »
The green tide army does indeed work. it is a hoot to hear your opponent say that they don't have enough firepower to kill all that  ;D

I know it is a bit of a chore for the movement phase, but with the run you can usually be in charge range on your turn three. Now being orks, it is about target saturation, that is; give your opponent too much to shoot at. Not to mention that if you are concerned about taking off handfulls of models every turn, then you are playing the wrong army.

I have run the green tide a few times, (don't tell anybody, as it might ruin my speed freak reputation) and with it took out the infamous Space wolf thunder cav list, the insane BA death company list, and even out hoarded a tyranid list. It can be done.

As for the enemy getting behind you, unless they deep strike it won't happen, as the green tide covers the board from side to side with no gaps for any enemy units to get through.

Personally, I am not a fan of the storm boys. I found them to be overcosted and very inefficient for their supposed roll in the army. In fact the large unit I did have, I got so mad at them that I traded twenty storm boys with boss Zag for some bits and a gift certificate. Some people say they have had some luck with them, but I haven't met any personally. I would hate to see you lose your love for orks just because of your choice in a naff unit.

Beef up the boys squads, add in some firepower like lootas and or grot guns, and practice yelling "Waaaaggh!" and you will have many enjoyable games. Remember, orks are not about the hero, orks are about the mob.

My two teef.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak