News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: CSM Red Corsairs Huron + Havoks  (Read 2357 times)

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
CSM Red Corsairs Huron + Havoks
« on: October 9, 2010, 05:20:15 AM »
Here is the latest work I've completed.

Before I post, I would like to say TESTOR'S DULLCOTE SUCKS NOW!  I haven't bought a new bottle since my 10-pak officially ran out.  So I bought a single can, what the hell is with this new formula, it came out all shiny almost like gloss.  Then I tried Testor's Flat Clear brush on, EXACTLY the same result.

So I had to research for a gloss cuz I don't want Huron to be shiney and found a nice item.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/daler-rowney-cryla-soluble-acrylic-matte-varnish/

Finally, I got the full matt look I wanted.  Only problem is that my professional artist friend told me this requires 1 week of cure time before use/handle.  Oh well, good enough for me.

Now on to the images.

As promised, I finally worked on the settings of my camera and got 90% to the result of quality of photo I want.  Here are better shots of my chaos havoks.

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
Re: CSM Red Corsairs Huron + Havoks
« Reply #1 on: October 9, 2010, 08:53:28 AM »
Here is the latest work I've completed.

Before I post, I would like to say TESTOR'S DULLCOTE SUCKS NOW!  I haven't bought a new bottle since my 10-pak officially ran out. 

This sucks indeed. I am running low on my old bottles. 

I love your gold (I love your red too but that being said before). Could you write up how you do gold?

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
« Reply #2 on: October 9, 2010, 01:26:35 PM »
Why does it suck now? The head looks real sick. The flamer bottle is a great touch. Before I forget, what kind of paint brush did you use for the trim? For the dull coat, you brushed it on, not airbrushed it on?

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #3 on: October 9, 2010, 06:30:48 PM »
I love your gold (I love your red too but that being said before). Could you write up how you do gold?

Chestnut ink + Orgryn Flesh wash is my secret ingredient.  I bought plenty before and only needed a 1:5 ratio of mixing.  I tried all other inks from other product lines, but the highly watered consistency of GW's discontinued Chestnut Ink really meshes naturally well with the new wash.

The only thing that comes close is Adikolor Brown Ink, but the consistency is too thick and the pigment too thinned out in comparison to Chestnut ink.

Why does it suck now? The head looks real sick. The flamer bottle is a great touch. Before I forget, what kind of paint brush did you use for the trim? For the dull coat, you brushed it on, not airbrushed it on?

What flamer bottle?

I tried Testor's Dullcote "can" spray like I usually do and it leaves off a sheen of shine.  Normally, I love Testor's Dullcote because it's so flat that it would not leave any sort of shine or bright spots onto the model.  However, they seemed to changed to formula to follow EU regulations and decided to sell that version here in the Americas as well.  This totally bites and pretty much lost another customer out of me.  I tried their brush-on version and applied both by brush and by air spray with spirits to dilute, but result are identically bad as the canned version.

As for the trim, which model are you talking about.  For Huron's gold trime, I actually had to use a 000 windsor newton brush.  I normally do not care for brands for size 0 and higher as long as the brush consistency feels right in my hand.  (My size 00 brush is a no name brand originally used for fine chinese caligraphy and found in certain stores for $1.99 and size 0 is Robert Simmons discontinued Crafter Painter brush for $3.99).  I stand by my belief that you have to feel total confidence and comfort in the brush that best matches how you paint.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2010, 06:41:41 PM by DJ-of-E »

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »
these are incredible beautiful, did you just paint on the varnish after the paint job was completed? How did it turn out I would very much consider that product.

Offline DJ-of-E

• Slow Painter is Slow
    • DJ-of-E's 40k Album
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 08:15:41 PM »
these are incredible beautiful, did you just paint on the varnish after the paint job was completed? How did it turn out I would very much consider that product.

Water it down with spirits as instructed.  You could use water, but make sure it's 4:1 ratio of varnish:water.  Remember to note, LESS IS BETTER, and you really DO NOT need a whole lot to cover the shine.  In fact, you only need the brush to be lightly wet for best result.  It's kinda like Dullcote, but x10 effective. 

Too much and it can get cloudy.  Only problem is that it takes 1 week to fully cure to the model.  1 layer is all you need.

Just remember, THIS PRODUCT DESTROY'S BRUSHES!  So use the cheapest brush you could find and use it multiple times.