News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40k Online Rules and Netiquette  (Read 40644 times)

Offline Purple Raine

• The Ultra N00bie
  • Administrator
  • Let's put a smile on that face.
    • About Me
40k Online Rules and Netiquette
« on: January 15, 2002, 09:05:17 PM »
If you are reading this you are looking at the obsolete version of the forum rules!
The current rules (or a link to the even-more current rules) are HERE:
40k Online Rules and Netiquette

We ask that you respect our board rules by adhering to the following guidelines:

1) Do not share, trade, or distribute in any manner here, any copyright material, without the express written consent of the owner.
Games Workshop Intellectual Property Policy
What you can and cannot do with Games Workshop Intellectual Property

2) Spam is not tolerated on this site.  If you spam you will be labeled as a spammer until you improve, or until you are subsequently banned upon any more infractions. Excessive use of smilies is a form of spamming, and will be treated as such.

3) Do not share your account or password to this site. Every individual contributing to the member areas of this site is allowed only to have ONE account.

4) In an attempt to keep this site safe and enjoyable for everyone, there are a few rules here that we'd like you all to respect and keep in mind:

a) Please do not use racist slurs, prejudiced comments, profanity, or derogatory statements.

b) Swearing is censored to the best of our efforts, but your co-operation is of utmost importance in these matters.

c) Evading the censor by adding asterisks, or purposefully misspelling words to evade the censor is considered a higher offence than swearing normally, do not do this.

d) Do not initiate arguments of a personal nature.  This will only cause the triggering of other members and make this site unsafe.  We will remove anyone who explicitly ignores this rule.

e) Please put a warning on all material that could upset other members.

f) Be courteous to other users, even if you disagree with someone or believe that they are full of it. Refrain from flaming posts or comments. You may argue and debate, but do not make any comments of a personal nature. Do not use any profanity and no derogatory statements.  This place is to help others, and to reach out for help... let's keep it that way.

5) Members that do not follow these rules will be issued a warning and have the offending post removed. Continual disrespect for our rules will result in that account being banned. Keep in mind that your activity on this board is monitored. If you are unsure about making a certain post, or activity on this board, please discuss it first with Purple Raine, or a Moderator.  Do not take matters into your own hands and comment on others' behaviors, use the Report to moderator button instead.

6) No unauthorized advertisement. You must contact us for permission to advertise a website other than 40kOnline.

We'd like to stress :: Our community consists of players of all ages and from all walks of life, and that includes teenagers, and even some pre-teens. That said, we would like to see less swearing on our boards, including: @#%$, pissing, tuna melt, Oh Sh*t, F**k the questions, WTF, etc. Sure, these are 'acceptable' words (because they are censored) and some even said on TV, but it doesn't mean they're right. 

We understand that there are times when there is indeed something that causes so much excitement or grief in you that you just have to blurt out a swear word, but this need not be so often, and certainly not all the time. We'd prefer if it is kept in to a minimum.

Thank you for reading and respecting our rules.

Added links to GW IP policy. -Mr.Peanut
Added note about Report to Moderator button.  -Mr.Peanut
« Last Edit: December 1, 2007, 11:06:19 PM by Mr.Peanut »
Just a fan of this awesome site.

Offline Wanderer

• I wander... lonely as a cloud
Re:EldarOnline Rules and Netiquette
« Reply #1 on: February 1, 2002, 09:50:13 PM »
Does rule #1 include posting information found in the codexes?

Offline XpashaX

• Millenium Gate Moderator
    • Codex: Immael
« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2002, 08:36:20 PM »
It isn't illeagle to quote someone else's work as long as you properly give credit to the author.
Ask any english teacher for the proper method of citation and I doubt you will get the board into any legal trouble.
"What can you say about a society that says that god is dead and Elvis is alive?" ~ Irv Kupcinet

Cheantoa

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2002, 03:16:48 AM »
but-

if gw gets angry about people posting copyrighted information, can they directly attack this sight or just the offending individual??

Offline Purple Raine

• The Ultra N00bie
  • Administrator
    • About Me
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2002, 03:20:29 AM »
we are liable for anything that happens on our site ... and I'm sure they could pull us off of their GW network if they feel we're not enforcing this policy...

Cheantoa

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2002, 04:22:21 AM »
sorry for my ignorance... what exactly happens when GW goes to take down a site...?

Offline the_Bard_72

• Kanu-rath Craftworld and Kabal of Martyred Souls
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2002, 01:22:00 AM »
Is there some way to make it impossible to post until reading a particular message?  I'm thinking something on the lines of a Terms of Service or EULA for the site (such as the original post on this thread) that "encourages" someone to read the rules before running rampant?  If I had to guess, I'd say you probably can't (or it'd be quite difficult to deal with), but thought I'd mention it.  I'm seeing a lot of posts lately where people are asking for copyrighted material to be posted.  Maybe just having a reminder message at the top of a "post reply" screen saying something to the effect of not asking for/posting such items?
And while we're at, another pet peeve is creating a new thread for something that's already got a thread (even the titles are near identical most of the time).  I know there's not much to be done there, but again, I thought I'd mention it.
the Bard
Emmissary of the Kanu-rath Craftworld

Offline Purple Raine

• The Ultra N00bie
  • Administrator
    • About Me
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2002, 02:06:02 AM »
Thanks for the ideas, Bard, but the those ideas are indeed very tough to carry out! =)

I will, however look into it to see if there's anything I can do.

Regarding copyrighted material, the only thing we can do is count on our users to report to us (or to me) about such things, and I'll notify the users about such offences.

Thanks again

Offline Khal Ynnoth

• Death before Dis-honour
  • Armies: Eldar - Saim Hann, Space Marines - Storm Crows
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2002, 05:40:40 AM »
What about rules questions where you need to quote a line, say out of the BBB, to settle the argument.
For example : "Does the Avatar run away when the Guardian squad it's with breaks due to firing" etc. etc. Should we just refer ppl to the correct page or are we allowed to directly quote.
Stat lines and full codex entries should never be posted obviously (you may like to remove some of the Army list posts btw as some are straight c&p's from programs like Army Builder that have full stats and rules for the entries), I'm not pointing fingers, just saying that these obviously infringe GW's Copyright policy.

"I Khal Ynnoth of the Dyanni Muathi hereby make a blood oath by my Kin, by my Clan and by my Craftworld to defend and uphold the honour of our brothers of Saim Hann and their allies.
Their cause is ours, this blood seals our fates forever!"
 - Khal Ynnoth of the Dyanni Muathi

Offline Purple Raine

• The Ultra N00bie
  • Administrator
    • About Me
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2002, 05:45:23 AM »
I think it's ok to quote the books, so long as we don't abuse the privilige.  So far, GW has been very kind in letting us use some images, mainly because we don't abuse their kindness.  

So in fairness, as long as something is not replacing the need of the codexes, i'd say it's ok.

Of course, the line between what's allowed and what's not is blurred, even the IP policy of GW isn't clear at all, mainly so that they have full control of everything.

We are a website that APPRECIATES what GW has provided us, and hence in no way want to challenge their IP or infringe on their copyrights.  Hence, the mods and the staff will have to make their own decisions when dealing with copyright stuff, as that's the only thing we have to base on.

Offline Poueblo

• cheese-tastic
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2002, 08:33:57 PM »
do GW people actaully look at this site to make sure its legal UHHHHH seems kindof sad................ .......  :P
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Reaper1313

• Goth isn't just a period in time
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2002, 10:42:40 PM »
Yeah, they look at lots of sites to make sure they're legal, especially those that get tons and tons of hits a day(like EO)
Visit www.40Kcantina.com and check out my troop design rules.

Offline Rathnagoer

• This here's my terf biotch.
    • The Tomb Of Mars
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2002, 01:35:53 PM »
how do you rise in rank????
http://www.freewebs.com/the_tomb_of_mars/

GO TO IT! NOW!

I may play Necrons, but CHAOS FOREVER!

"If I had a dollar for every brain you didnt have, id have 1 dollar."
                            -Squidward Tentacles

"If a man could have sex in a cardboard box, he wouldnt have to buy a house."
                            -Dave Chappelle

Offline Purple Raine

• The Ultra N00bie
  • Administrator
    • About Me
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2002, 02:52:06 PM »
The ranking system is not up at the moment.  Perhaps in a month or so.

Offline Frank Otto Frye

• And the colours blend together... to grey
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2002, 09:45:16 PM »
Hi Raine,
    This is Otto, you've read some of my first posts and been very enthusiastic about the amount of interaction I've intiated.   I'm curious as to whether or not I could join the staff.  Is this only possible by obtaining said rank of Farseer (because I don't understand the ranking system)  I try to write the best replies to questions or tutorials that I can but I feel that if we could work together I could bring much more to the site.  
       I'm a fairly adept painter and writer and am very enthusiastic about the site.  Perhaps I could submit some editorials or conversion corners to be published.  I just don't know what is expected out of the format.  
        I'd really like to help out in a greator aspect.  call me ambitious vain or tactless but I thought that writeing you wouild be the most effective way of conveying my opinions.  
        What ever you decide to respond with is fine, but please do.  Because I would love to better the mission of EldarOnline by becoming a Staff Writer.  If its not possible at least I asked Right?
                                                                           -Otto
« Last Edit: February 27, 2002, 09:47:41 PM by Frank Otto Frye »
Why is the Laughing God laughing.  Did he realize that some blokes play Harlequins?  
               -Your friendly neighborhood OttoFrye!

Offline Purple Raine

• The Ultra N00bie
  • Administrator
    • About Me
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2002, 11:05:27 PM »
Otto,

We are always looking for new, good writers who are enthused about EO!  That said, what it takes to become a writer here is for you to participate as you have, as well as contribute as much of your knowledge to the site as possible.  

That will, in turn benefit the community and hence make you a contributing writer.  The ones who contribute the most are then elevated to Warlock status, which is our way of saying THANK YOU for helping us build the community, and hence we treat all Warlocks as staff writers.

So, if you do intend to become 'staff', then just start doing some good writing!  

I look forward to hearing from you.

also, I'm posting this on here such that all others who are interested in being staff can see this... but for future reference, if you are asking a question to a person directly, then just e-mail or instant message them! =)

Master Archon

« Reply #16 on: April 7, 2002, 07:47:36 PM »
Is there a way to change your name without losing all your posts?

Offline Purple Raine

• The Ultra N00bie
  • Administrator
    • About Me
« Reply #17 on: April 7, 2002, 08:09:43 PM »
You can change them under profile under display name.  Your login name won't change but your displayed name will...

Offline Warpspider666

• WHY IS EVERYONE A LLAMA??
question about phenix lords...
« Reply #18 on: May 6, 2002, 11:49:49 AM »
do phenix lords have to be used as HQ??
or can they be used instead of an Exarch or something???
mmmm.... llama...

Offline Andie

• Two, one, one, two.
Re:EldarOnline and 40k.ca Rules and Netiquette
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2002, 11:06:53 AM »
Will I ever be able to get rid of the spamming mon-keigh thing or is it there forever?