News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Corsair 'Gunline'  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
Corsair 'Gunline'
« on: October 26, 2012, 12:00:55 PM »
After being goaded by Khorne25 I've had a go at compiling a Corsair Gunline. I thought that as we have access to a lot of high powered weapons this would be a doddle. It is not.  We are after all Eldar and therefore fragile.  So here's my first ever attempt at a 'Gunline' list (I say Gunline but I don't think any Imperial guard commanders need worry just yet)

Void Dreamer
6 Voidstorms

10 Corsairs, 2 EMLs
Falcon, starcannon

10 Corsairs, 2 EMLs
Falcon, starcannon

2 Corsairs Hornets
4 Pulse lasers

2 Corsairs Hornets
4 Star cannons

Night wing

Phoenix
starcannons

Phoenix
starcannons

I've gone air heavy as you can see. here's a fw stats...
This list puts out the following shots per turn.

S3/4/5 ==  48
S6 == 30
S8 == 18

• The Nightwing is the out and out AA/AT hunter.
  • The Void dreamer and his voidstorm are purely a counterattack / speed bump unit
  • Everything else sits back and blasts away at long range.
Voila!

Arq.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
Re: Corsair 'Gunline'
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:10:05 PM »
Here's the trouble...

10 corsairs don't fit in a falcon... so you have 20 chaps standing around waiting to get killed. Once they are you cannot win. yes, you can draw, but you can never win. If they do survive then you can realistically only hope to claim one objective... you have to assume that at least one unit gets wiped or has his objective contested...

It looks scary based on the air power... mostly because no one (other than perhaps guard with vendettas or air-cron) will ever have enough cover to successfully counter them... But then, planes swooping around in the air is hardly a "line of guns"...

I definately would not classify this as a gunline army...

Offline Khorne25

• Corsair "Exarch"
  • Armies: DE, CWE, Eldar Corsairs
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:23:29 PM »
Whats the points on this?

Set that and we have a Corsair Gunline Challenge up.

My Voidborn Eldar Corsairs

OLD Eldar Corsair Blog

Former armies:
Tau, SM, CSM, 3rd Ed DE (updating to 5th Ed)

Offline Calindor

• Maybe yes, maybe no
  • Armies: Corsairs, Space marines, Chaos daemons of Nurgle
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »
Very intersting, shall be fun to see what more we can come up with about making a proper corsairs gun line :)

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 10:55:07 AM »
Dargh! seems my last post didn't post!

@Khorne25
The list was 1750. Kinda standard these days I thought.

@O:nk
The list was never going to be a traditional Gunline list, Corsairs (all Eldar in fact) just don't work like that. The list was a hybrid between cramming as many S8 + S6 weapons in the list and having it reasonably resemmble a list you may find on a table. (I don't like writing spam lists you're never likelty to face, seems pointless to me) As such the point of the lsit was to shoot the enemy off the table. I know the real world doesn't work like this but I didn't have objectives in mind when writting the list.

The corsairs on foot are there for the EMLs. if the army gets close enough then the tarpit las blaster fire comes in to play. but you are exactly right. They are likely going to die. howwibly, howwibly.