News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1750 Harlequins (using Codex: Eldar)  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Radium

• Just another guy.
1750 Harlequins (using Codex: Eldar)
« on: February 25, 2012, 10:08:59 AM »
Not sure whether to put this here or over in the Eldar armylist section, but since it is a Harlequin army I thought here would be best.

I'm currently building my Harlequin army, and even though it is absolutely not meant for competitive play (this is purely a painter's army - meant to take best army at tournaments and just have fun playing with), it's always a good thing to have some other people look the list over and offer any advice they feel they can give. Admittedly, I'm mostly interested in your opinions regarding the theme and conversion possibilities and not so much the competitiveness of the list - since it not meant to be competitive at all (though you should feel free to point out anything all the same).

So here goes:

Great Harlequin (Prince Yriel)

High Warlock (Farseer)
 - Spirit Stones
 - Doom
 - Fortune
 - Runes of Warding

8 Harlequins
 - 3 kisses
 - Troupe Master with Power Weapon
 - Shadowseer with Kiss

8 Harlequins
 - 3 kisses
 - Shadowseer with Kiss

8 Harlequins
 - 2 kisses
 - Shadowseer with Kiss

5 Mimes (Rangers)

3 Harlequin Jetbikes (Guardian Jetbikes)
 - Shuriken Cannon

3 Harlequin Jetbikes (Guardian Jetbikes)
 - Shuriken Cannon

Venom (Vyper)
 - Shuriken Cannon
 - EML

Venom (Vyper)
 - Shuriken Cannon
 - EML

Spiritwalker (Wraithlord)
 - Wraithsword
 - Bright Lance

Spiritwalker (Wraithlord)
 - Wraithsword
 - Bright Lance

3 Death Jesters (Dark Reapers)
 - Exarch
 - Tempest Launcher
 - Crack Shot
Knowledge is power; guard it well.

Offline Ambience 327

Re: 1750 Harlequins (using Codex: Eldar)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »
It looks interesting, and fairly solid theme-wise, but I am curious about why you are using Rangers to represent Mimes? I would think infiltrating Striking Scorpions would be much more appropriate. If you really want some Rangers for more ranged firepower, why not use them as just plain old Rangers? I can easily see some Rangers finding themselves helping or being helped by a Harlequin Troupe. Alternatively, they could just be more Death Jesters armed with different weapons from the Dark Reaper versions.

I would also suggest adding a Warlock with the Conceal power to the Jetbike troupes. The Conceal power would help to keep the theme of holo-fields, since it gives a cover save that matches the holo-field's invulnerable save.

Offline Radium

• Just another guy.
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:04:45 PM »
I would also suggest adding a Warlock with the Conceal power to the Jetbike troupes. The Conceal power would help to keep the theme of holo-fields, since it gives a cover save that matches the holo-field's invulnerable save.

That's actually a very good idea!

The reason for including the rangers is not so much the added firepower, but to have another troop choice on the table. Calling them "Mimes" or "Heralds" or something else is more a way to make them properly Harlequin-themed.

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #3 on: March 1, 2012, 11:17:11 AM »
Yeah, that is why I suggested using them as Death Jesters if you wanted a Harlequin-only theme. From my understanding, the DJ's are really the only ranged support infantry that the Troupe fields, and arming some of them with longrifles wouldn't be too much of a stretch. Stat-wise they aren't too far off from the Dark Reapers. They have lower WS, I, Ld and Sv, but they could be passed off as younger and less-experienced and modeled to show less armor.

If you haven't already, take a look at my custom Harlequin codex (see my signature). It shows my own ideas on what the Harlequins should be like, but more importantly I have a complete list of what I think you could use from the Eldar Codex (or the Dark Eldar Codex) to make a fluffy Harlequin force.

Offline Radium

• Just another guy.
« Reply #4 on: March 3, 2012, 03:31:24 AM »
If you haven't already, take a look at my custom Harlequin codex (see my signature). It shows my own ideas on what the Harlequins should be like, but more importantly I have a complete list of what I think you could use from the Eldar Codex (or the Dark Eldar Codex) to make a fluffy Harlequin force.

Interesting read, that. I'll have to take a closer look at that some time.