News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Danger! Danger!  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Danger! Danger!
« on: January 24, 2020, 04:54:52 AM »
Anyone remember this thread about the Doomsday Clock and how useless it is as a warning system.

Well, don't panic, it has just been set to 100 seconds before midnight. This is the closest it has got to midnight since its inception.

Given climate change, the coronavirus outbreak, Trump  ;D is anyone feeling nervous?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Danger! Danger!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 04:59:21 AM »
Well...I am now.  :P

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 05:19:31 AM »
And that is maybe the point. The average Joe doesn't really need to be aware of the Doomsday Clock as overall it is just some clever people telling the people in charge that things aren't going so well.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 07:45:07 AM »
My only question is; is Iron Maiden going to re-record a far less catchy version of that song.. or are they going to shorten the original by ~17% in post-post production?  ???

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 04:44:24 PM »
Well the reasons behind the song remain the same and given that song lyrics don't have to be realistic/accurate I think they could get away with just adding something to the original.

Oh and I think I should point out that when Iron Maiden released 2 Minutes to Midnight in 1984 the Clock was at three minutes.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 12:38:55 AM by Alienscar »

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: March 4, 2020, 10:52:47 AM »
Given climate change, the coronavirus outbreak, Trump  ;D is anyone feeling nervous?

Well what with people self-isolating and wearing masks on the London underground and Thwaites glacier melting quicker than ever, I can't help thinking that 100 seconds to midnight wasn't close enough.

Anyone else getting that feeling of impending Doom?

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: March 4, 2020, 11:59:54 AM »
Honestly, not really. Coronavirus is being sensationalized. It's really only killing anyone with medical conditions that already affect their cardiology and lungs. To anyone else it's a bad case of the flu. Might sound crazy, but most of the victims so far are elderly and do have these conditions already.

Now for the glacier melting, well I don't know about all that. I think we'll survive global warming, but it's going to take a lot of needless sacrifices that we've taken for granted as an entire race that really should managed more responsibly.

The world is definitely changing.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #7 on: March 4, 2020, 12:04:23 PM »
I’m prone to anxiety, but I’m not feeling any sense of dread at the moment.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #8 on: March 5, 2020, 08:01:01 AM »
Honestly, not really. Coronavirus is being sensationalized. It's really only killing anyone with medical conditions that already affect their cardiology and lungs. To anyone else it's a bad case of the flu. Might sound crazy, but most of the victims so far are elderly and do have these conditions already.

Now for the glacier melting, well I don't know about all that. I think we'll survive global warming, but it's going to take a lot of needless sacrifices that we've taken for granted as an entire race that really should managed more responsibly.

The world is definitely changing.

I'm not very fond of global warming being presented in this "it's either going to kill us all or everything is fine" dichotomy.

Obviously, no reutable scientific study has ever said it's going to kill off all humans, that's a ludicrous premise that is mostly just said by either denialists who want it all to come off as stupid, or by some very, very misguided activists who are prone to exaggeration because they're freaking out.

I am, however, worried about the change in global weather patterns negative affecting agriculture, water access and demographic patterns to the point where where will see tens, if not hundreds of millions of people becoming climate refugees (Monsoon-dependant countries are especially vulnerable, ie. most of the tropics and subtropics). It's basically impossible to predict this stuff (though people have tried, I've read assesments on growth predictions on different kinds of grains, for example), but what worries me is how blithely so many political groups are marching into this, assuming that they can solve everything by just putting up some barbed wire on the border or something.

Mass migrations and food scarcity (or rather, inadequate food distribution) breeds economic instability and political instability. I worry about long-term problems of civil wars, rise of authoritarianism as a "solution" for refugees, sectarian conflict, etc.

I don't want to spell doom and gloom, I'd just like there to be public support for long-term thinking and solutions in place before amphetamine parrot hits the fan. And if it doesn't, then good.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 11:10:51 AM »
It's really only killing anyone with medical conditions that already affect their cardiology and lungs. To anyone else it's a bad case of the flu. Might sound crazy, but most of the victims so far are elderly and do have these conditions already.

Do you not have any elderly relatives, or friends that you care about then? The old and infirm need our sympathy as well you know.

Honestly, not really. Coronavirus is being sensationalized.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Covid or the glacier, but they were just easy examples of 'bad stuff' going on at the moment.

The point of this post was to highlight that the Doomsday Clock is the closest it has ever been to midnight, and this is meant to be mankind's 'two minute' warning of impending Doom. Realistically no one seems to be aware, or even care. Basically the Clock is useless as a tool for the general public as the general opinion does not coincide with its intent.

Mass migrations and food scarcity (or rather, inadequate food distribution) breeds economic instability and political instability. I worry about long-term problems of civil wars, rise of authoritarianism as a "solution" for refugees, sectarian conflict, etc.

I don't want to spell doom and gloom, I'd just like there to be public support for long-term thinking and solutions in place before amphetamine parrot hits the fan. And if it doesn't, then good.

You have pretty much nailed why the Clock doesn’t tally with Joe public general demeanour.

Long term planning by government, civil wars, nuclear war and political instability are all the reasons the clock has been moved.

YMMV, for most these reasons are to esoteric to be worried about.

The Atomic Scientists have this to say and it pretty much echoes your concerns.

Quote from: Science and Security Board Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists
Nuclear war and climate change are major threats to the physical world. But information is an essential aspect of human interaction, and threats to the information ecosphere—especially when coupled with the emergence of new destabilizing technologies in artificial intelligence, space, hypersonics, and biology—portend a dangerous and multifaceted global instability.

In recent years, national leaders have increasingly dismissed information with which they do not agree as fake news, promulgating their own untruths, exaggerations, and misrepresentations in response. Unfortunately, this trend accelerated in 2019. Leaders claimed their lies to be truth, calling into question the integrity of, and creating public distrust in, national institutions that have historically provided societal stability and cohesion.

And you can read the full article HERE
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 11:12:22 AM by Alienscar »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 11:49:22 AM »
Do you not have any elderly relatives, or friends that you care about then? The old and infirm need our sympathy as well you know.

Hey Alienscar, that's not what I meant. Of course we should be responsible in the way we deal with avoiding the illness and taking care of ourselves should we become exposed to it.

What I meant is that I do not think it warrants this level of panic, at least in certain areas of the globe that are least impacted. Buying all of the toilet paper in the world in all likelihood will not change anything, accept inconvenience others who also need it. I just think people should be more rational, as that will help them understand this illness and how to more effectively combat it.

I apologize if I came off as apathetic for eldery people, as I do have many elderly friends and family that I would see well in all things.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!