News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 point Tau Army List  (Read 13228 times)

Master Archon

1000 point Tau Army List
« on: July 14, 2002, 11:53:18 AM »
Here is a 1000 point force that I have been working on.  This force mainly faces Space Marines, Necrons, and Plague Marines so it is built to reflect this.

Headquarters
Shas'o w/ Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-tracker      110

Elites
XV8 'Crisis' Battlesuits (3) w/ Plasma Rifles, Burst Cannons, Multi-trackers        218     (still configuring this)

Troops
Fire Warrior Team (12) Shas'ui                 130

Fire Warrior Team (12) Shas'ui                 130

Fast Attack
Pathfinder Team (5) w/ shas'ui + Devilfish          150  

Gun Drone Squadron (8)               96

Heavy Support
Hammerhead w/ Railgun, Smart Missile System, Multi-tracker          170

Offline Tycho

• BEEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • My 40k Site (still lots to to be done)
Re:1000 point Tau Army List
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2002, 12:32:57 PM »
that is a good choice or an army list but i would advise using Aun'Shi and not using the pathfinders.  i would replace the pathfinders with another hammerhead with a railgun or a ion cannon ;)
"The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!"

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2002, 12:38:40 PM »
I don't play Tau for myself, but i quite often played against them. In my experience drones are very important for the battlesuits.

jwu

Master Archon

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2002, 03:53:39 PM »

that is a good choice or an army list but i would advise using Aun'Shi and not using the pathfinders.  i would replace the pathfinders with another hammerhead with a railgun or a ion cannon ;)

I'm trying to stay away from Special Characters so I don't really want to use Aun'shi.  I might do a Farsight Army and take him and only Firewarriors, and the other stuff allowed in his army.  I don't know.  I personally think that more than 1 Railgun would almost be overkill because the armies that I am playing (Necrons, SM, CSM) aren't using a lot of tanks so I think it might be overkill.

Offline Tau Master

• my carbine laser dot will mark your death.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2002, 01:32:49 PM »
what abaut stealth suits they seem cool.
FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!!

Master Archon

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2002, 01:51:48 PM »
Yeah I have created a new list that I am very happy with.  It is pretty much based on Matt Hutson's Tau army.  Here it is:

Headquarters
Shas'o w/ Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-tracker, Shield Generator     130
Shas'vre w/ Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-tracker, 2 Shield Drones     180

Elites
Xv-15 Stealth Suit Team
Shas'vre w/ Drone Controller +2 Gun Drones, Markerlight     72
Shas'ui (3)     90

Troops
Firewarrior Team (12) w/ Shas'ui.  bonded, Photon Grenades     142

Firewarrior Team (12) w/ Shas'ui.  Bonded, Photon Grenades     142

Heavy Support
XV-88 Broadside Battlesuits
Shas'ui (3) w/ Railguns, Smart Missile Systems, 1 w/ Drone Controller +2 Shield Drones, 2 w/ Target Locks     250

Callidus

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2002, 11:09:08 PM »
IMHO, I thought the old army list was better suited for fighting SM etc. The XV88 railgun can't fire sub-munition rounds, but the Hammerhead can. I forget the stats for the sub-munition rounds, but seem to remeber its good for taking ou troops like SM. Take a Hammerhead instead of a XV88 team, save that for later.

Offline Commander Ikari

• Show me a problem, not easily solved by a railgun!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2002, 05:04:45 PM »
Remove the shas'o! Make him to a shas'el. Those big overtooled up characters are never ever worth their points. The only way a shas'o could repay his point cost on the battle field would be if he adopted the soul cleanse configurition (SHield generator. Flamer. fusion blaster. 2 gun drones and target lock). 3 broadsides!!! That's totally overkill in such small battles!!!
One or perhaps 2 (in the case of 2, against opponents using many tanks). Markerlights are best in firewarrior teams, they are harder to kill that way. And the markerlight bearing shas'ui always must be given a target lock. This way you get more effective marketlights that are not easily killed. And you dont really need all that many marker lights a pathfinder team have. Grenades are no big deal at all, if the enemy gets that close you're already dead. It isn't for the greater good (or own glory in case of farsight enclaves) in making Gue'la like last stands. Add some more crisis teams and get a more mobile force.
"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred and hatred leads to suffering."

Master Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2002, 03:33:32 PM »
Ok I just got back from a little vacation at a friends house and during that time I have come up with a better list that I now like.  It is no longer specifically designed against Space Marines but more of a broader army.

One thing I need to do before I finish the list though is to get the White Dwarf with the Battlesuits.  Or if anyone can save me money and tell me what the most common configuration for a Tau-planet based army is I can finish out the list.  Oh well here goes...

Headquarters
Shas'el                            
Shas'vre (2)

Elites
XV-15 Stealth Suit Team
Shas'vre w/ Markerlight + Target Lock           57
Shas'ui (3)                                                             90

Troops
Fire Warrior Team (12) w/ Shas'ui, Bonded    140

Fire Warrior Team (12) w/ Shas'ui, Bonded    140

Fast Attack
Gun Drone Squadron (6)                                       72

Heavy Support
Hammerhead w/ Railgun, Smart Missile System, Multi-tracker            170

I plan to add a Kroot Squad as soon as I configure the weapons systems on the HQ.  What do you guys think?

Offline Commander Ikari

• Show me a problem, not easily solved by a railgun!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2002, 06:18:01 PM »
Looks great! About choosing weapons. Give the team weapons to deal with what the army can't deal with, or  what they have difficulties to deal with.
"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred and hatred leads to suffering."