News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Kabal of the striking soul WWP army list!  (Read 1227 times)

Offline shmee shmee

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning
Kabal of the striking soul WWP army list!
« on: May 23, 2005, 04:29:03 PM »
 This is my noob army list plz rate (try not to be too harsh :-[)

Dracon       108pts

Agonizer
S. field
WWP
S. pistol
combat drugs
G. talismans

Talos   100pts

Talos    100pts

Ravager     125pts
3 dessies

10 wyches   169pts   
10 W.weapons
Succubus
agonizer

5 warp beasts    75pts

15 warriors         176pts

2 splinter cannons
2 shredders 
succubus
agonizer

10 warriors    100pts
2 dark lances

All this equals up to 953pts wat should I spend the other points on cheers.

it was harry...

Offline Grey Area

• !gnimoc era yeht
Re: Kabal of the striking soul WWP army list!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 04:46:34 PM »
Take one warrior away from the 1st warrior squad and put the wyches in a raider. Also you could exchange the talos for  four incubi and take a warrior from the first warrior squad to give the dracon a five man retinue. These are just  my suggestions ;)

Offline Rathnard

• Sybarite
  • If you were dead, I'd be home by now...
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 12:57:37 AM »
Well first off, your dracon is illegal - the WWP + Combat drugs + shadowfield is 100 points, meaning that your 2 points over your wargear allowance with the gruesome talismans.

The only other time shredders might be worth taking (aside from "just to be different") is against orks. In almost every other case the blaster is a better choice, since every other army is almost guaranteed to have some tank/monstrous creature/heavy infantry that you'll wish you had a blaster for.

Like Edoran said, find the points to put your wyches in a raider. After taking off the gruesome talismans and downgrading the shredders to blasters, you should have more than enough points for that.

Aside from that, it's not a bad start. It's not what I'd take (see the "1000pt. WWP list" thread I started), but it's certainly far from being terrible.

A word of warning though - taking 2 taloi in 1000 points is a bit unfair. Your opponent may not appreciate having to face that. If you decide to get rid of one, I'd suggest replacing it with a 10xman Dark Lance squad.

"There is something I do not know, the knowing of which could change everything"

-Werner Erhard

Offline shmee shmee

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 03:07:44 PM »
but why would it be considered unfair? its not up 2 the opponent to choose which units i plau
it was harry...

Offline Rathnard

• Sybarite
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 09:02:47 PM »
but why would it be considered unfair? its not up 2 the opponent to choose which units i plau

It ultimately comes down to fun. The main aim of this game is for two people to enjoy themselves. 2 Taloi emerging from a Webway portal is very difficult to stop at 1000 points, so your opponent is not likely to enjoy facing your army if he knows he can do nothing about certain aspects of it. It would be the same as taking 2 Tau Hammerheads to a 1000pt. game, or 6 obliterators, or 2 wraithlords. If you yourself would not enjoy facing armies that max out on the stronger units, then it is common courtesy not to do it yourself.

Besides, if you're winning games simply because you can throw two taloi at whatever is causing you trouble, does that really make you a better general? Heck no. Instead, you're just relying on powerful units to see you through.

After my last tournamant (where I took 3 taloi in 2000pts), I made the decision to limit my use of taloi because I was starting to use them as a crutch to win games. I now try to limit myself to 2 Taloi in 2000pts, 1 Talos in 1500, and no talos at all in smaller games. I'd much rather win my games by virtue of my tactics than win because I maxxed out on uber-units.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 09:07:03 PM by Rathnard »

"There is something I do not know, the knowing of which could change everything"

-Werner Erhard

Offline shmee shmee

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 02:47:36 AM »
 If I were to take away the taloi and replace with icubi would it do more or less damage
it was harry...

Offline Rathnard

• Sybarite
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 05:04:39 AM »
If I were to take away the taloi and replace with icubi would it do more or less damage

Strictly by the numbers, 4 Incubi will will 4 Space Marines on the charge, while a Talos would kill 2, possibly 3 (I'm talking in terms of averages here). That said, a Talos is a great deal tougher, and is immune to troops with a strength of 3.

So Incubi do more damage against most opponents, but the Talos won't die quite as easilly.

Personally I prefer taking a talos over incubi, but that's just how I play.

-Werner Erhard

Offline mrspungebob

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 05:11:51 AM »
I used to play an eldar player who quite often used two wraithlords in 1000p and up to three in 1500p. I actually didn't think this was all that cheesy. It proved quite often to be a challenge to get them down, but i eventually learned how to deal with them. So now i wont get all "Hey, your cheese!" if someone max out they're powerunits, as it can take awhile, but eventually you'll learn how to deal with them, and then you won't be taken with your pants down anymore if it should happen again.

And two talos are much simpler to take down than two wraithlords, as many standard troops actually may (if lucky) harm it.
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

"You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming here, on the way to the lecture, and i came through the parking lot. And you wont believe what happened! I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357! Can you imagine? Of all the license plates in the state, what was the chance that i would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!" - Quote from Richard Feynman (physicist)

Offline Rathnard

• Sybarite
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 06:36:49 AM »
I used to play an eldar player who quite often used two wraithlords in 1000p and up to three in 1500p. I actually didn't think this was all that cheesy.

For the record, Dark Eldar are the army that probably has the easiest time taking out Wraithlords  ;)

I think it comes down to what you and your opponent is expecting. If he takes a themed army and avoids the powerunits, then he's gfoing to be disappointed if he finds you've taken an army designed to win at all costs. Of course, if you are both taking uber-powerful lists, then that's fine, since you both have the same expectations from the game.

Personally, I play at a club where there is a very wide variety of opponents to choose from. As such, I tend to take balanced and/or themed lists.

-Werner Erhard

Offline ArchonCryx

• Dracon Author of long replies
  • Ancient
  • Dracon: Kabal of the Bloodied Claw of Despair
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 12:30:56 PM »
It also depends a lot on where you're playing. There is a huge difference from a local tournament and a national one for example. Also it's quite different playing against a regular opponent, in that instance it's practically mandatory to try cheesy armies as you have an arms race against each other, keeping the interest up. Tournaments can be a different story, you dont play opponents so regularly. Saying that, there is a huge difference between the way tournaments are played in Australia compared to the United States or Europe. We look at the armies that line up for the UK GT and cringe at what we perceive as power gamer armies. However, the participants seem to have fun, perhaps you won't agree with our Australian perception.

Back to the army.

Fix your Dracon. You could just drop the GTs. Remember to hide the Dracon behind at least two screening units so enemy cant shoot her. This may mean you will be forced to move and FoF your Sniper squad - never mind, when you open the Portal it will be worth it. Try the two Talos for a few games, then when youve mastered that, try taking one. Theres nothing wrong with taking an extra powerful list while you are still getting to grips with it. After all, you still wanna win at least some of your games! ;)

Drop the SHredder, they are practically useless! Take Blasters instead for more anti tank/anti armour ability. You have very little anti vehicle ability, I say you need those blasters.With the points you save, you can also give your Wyches 2 Blasters! Now that'd make 4 Blasters plus the 2 Dark Lances, much better for anti armour now. Note The Talos cannot scratch an Armour 14 vehicle so beware! I like your Ravager - perfect choice for webway armies tohave 3 dissies. This means if opponent surrounds the portal, you can still fly out and blast his packed together troops! Too valuable an ability to consider a DL/2 Dis as is becoming popular. Ifall 3 Blast Markers hit a tightly packed unit/s, you can end up killing a lotof enemy troopers, 21 would be the theroretical maximum, that's pretty awesome even if very unlikely!
"As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking." Pete Haines   ;)

Lords of Terra (Open) +High Lords (invitational)- Sydney July 24-25 2012, 1750pts, check lordsofterra.com

Offline shmee shmee

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 02:11:50 PM »
 A talos gets 2d6 armour penertration
it was harry...

Offline Rathnard

• Sybarite
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 03:01:04 PM »
A talos gets 2d6 armour penertration

Actually it doesn't. The rulebook specifically states that monsterous creatures only get the 2D6 armour penetration if they don't already have some rules for peneraing armour. Sadly, the Talos has the pants "one hit only, with +1 to penetration per extra hit" rule, meaning we're stuck with that.  :-\

-Werner Erhard

Offline shmee shmee

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 03:37:19 PM »
 kk cheers, I am going to be using blasters and d. lances for tank hunting. The taloi will attack troops........ uuuuggghhhh. That would own  :P
it was harry...

Offline mrspungebob

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 04:58:21 AM »
Does the talos only get one attack against vehicles?? Actually, the situation has never come up, as when the slow talos gets to the front line, there usually aren't any tanks left :P
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

"You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming here, on the way to the lecture, and i came through the parking lot. And you wont believe what happened! I saw a car with the license plate ARW 357! Can you imagine? Of all the license plates in the state, what was the chance that i would see that particular one tonight? Amazing!" - Quote from Richard Feynman (physicist)

Offline Rathnard

• Sybarite
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2005, 09:50:30 AM »
Does the talos only get one attack against vehicles??

Yep, it's layed out pretty clearly in the Talos entry in the DE codex.

-Werner Erhard

Offline Mahahelel

• Grotesque
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2005, 12:15:50 PM »
The Talos gets +1 to his AP roll for every hit scored after the first. So the talos has the ability to get up to 19 for its ap. You get D6 attacks, plus one if charging, against vehicles and any attacks that hit give you +1 to your ap roll, Then as long as you hit at least once you get another D6 for AP. So conceivably you could hit 7(+6 to your ap) times and roll a 6 for your ap and glance a vehicle with an AV of 19, don't think it exists but...
To absent friends...
Pfc. Nicholas J. Greer Oct. 7th 2005 C Co. 3/504 PIR 82nd
Sgt. Eric A. Fifer Oct. 7th 2005 C Co. 3/504 PIR 82nd
Sgt. Charles Wyckoff Jun. 6th 2008 C Co. 1/508 PIR 82nd