News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New FAQ Updates - what do we need  (Read 1763 times)

Offline -bill-

• Haemonculus: 2007 London 40K Online RTT Champion
    • Pine Lodge IFAs
New FAQ Updates - what do we need
« on: August 18, 2006, 08:43:35 AM »
As GW have recently updates some FAQ's - what else is needed to be addressed

EDIT: UPDATED TO INCLUDE LOMENDILS POST AT 8.54

Gw UK have a posting page for queries and I've posted the following issues that have been the subject of recent discussion:

Please add to the list but if you want to argue discuss a point raise a seprate thread

1. Are the blaster and shredder single or two handed weapons (as modelled)? If single then one would gain +1 A in cc

2. Does the DE reaver jet bike count as an eldar jet bike and get the assault move as published in the Wargear book.

3. Can Goblet of Spite affect Skimmers and Vehicles without a WS on a 3+.

4.  Do other Dark Eldar squads who have a model in B2B with the appropriate model carrying the GoS  also gain the ability to hit their enemies on 3s. (a bit like Feeder tendrils)?

5. Will the GoS allow the enemy to hit you on a 3+ as well.

6. The horrorfex is a defensive weapon, can it be fired as well as a Dark Lance or as codex instead of.

7. Is the Horrorfex destroyed when the Dark lance or Disintergator on the vehicle gets destroyed, or can it only be destroyed by another separate Weapon Destroyed result?

8.  Is the WS of an enemy unit affected when wytches make their rolls to hit as well as when the enemy unit makes their rolls to hit?

9.   If a detachment/army is lead by an Archon, can a wytch drachite be second in command

10.   If a detachment/army is lead by a haemonculus can you have a wytch dracite as second in command

11.   Does Mindwar affect the Talos as it has no leadership value?

12.  Do Necron gauss weapons wound Grotesques on a 6 even though they’re not S6?

13.  Do sniper riffles wound Grotesques on a 4+ even though they’re not S6?

14.  Grotesques - Do their rules allow them to have an IC joined before the start of the game? This is not allowed by the base rules, and the Grotesque rules don't explicity change those. Without an IC, they can't buy a Raider - is the Raider option defunct?

15. How far does a Deep Striking Raider/Ravager count as moving? Is it the same as the recent FAQ for Landspeeders - over 12"

16. Do Hellions (and ICs riding skyboards) count as moving enough after a deep strike so they can still use their Jink save?

17. Can Wyches use their Wytch Dodge invulnerable save which thye get "if in assault" against the psychic power Holocaust, Mandiblasters, and other "shooty" powers that may occur during the assault phase?

18. Can a character riding a jetbike carry and use a 2 handed weapon (eg Punisher) as suggested by WD article? If yes, can the character use two single handed weapons to get a bonus attack?

19. Can a Hellglaive still shoot on the charge and allow S4 attacks in assault as suggested in the Codex even though it's officially a rapidfire weapon?

20. Can a skyboard IC use FoF or trhe 12" Assault drug if so equipped?

21. Can a Tormentor Helm be used to gain an extra attack for acharacter using a poison weapon such as Scissorhands (or blades)?

SPECIAL CHARACTERS

1. As Lilith has no combat drugs, does she benefit from the drugs she chooses for her retinue – share and share alike girls.

2. When an army is led by Lelith Hesperax, the list of prohibited units is subtly different to the Wych Cult list. Archons are forbidden, but not Dracons. Does this allow a Wych Cult list with Incubi?

WEBWAY PORTAL

1.  The webway portal. As fast skimmers can fly within 1” of an enemy model can they come through the portal when it is surrounded by enemy troops?

2   As Jetbikes may pass over enemy troops and Scourges, and Hellions are classified as Jump troops, can they also come out of a surrounded WWP?

3.  Does the Talos count as  a skimmer (as it does in difficult terrain) for this purpose and thus also fly out even if WWP is surrounded

4.  Can an enemy vehicle park on top of the portal or would it fall into the webway (literally off the table edge as the wwp is a “table edge”)

5. Can a WWP be opened even if the character is involved in a melee? What if she was locked but not engaged (outside kill zone)?

6.  Can a Character who remains stationary in the movement phase, and then opens a portal in the shooting phase,  charge into assault in the assault phase?

7. WWP and missions using Reserves - are the Reserves always held back until the wwp is open and must tyey always come on from the wwp or can they also come on via a table edge if Reserves are part of the mission rules? How does this affect Deep Strike units?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 05:27:51 PM by -bill- »

Offline Shade, Bankai King

Re: New FAQ Updates - what do we need
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 09:08:11 AM »
Well I have one or two to add

14. If an Incubi squad has 5 Incubi, 2 warriors,and the Archon if the squad takes 2 deaths can we remove the warriors using the Incubi saves. As there are 5 3+ saves and 3 5+ saves.

That is all I can think of right now.
[CENTER

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 09:16:54 AM »
14. If an Incubi squad has 5 Incubi, 2 warriors,and the Archon if the squad takes 2 deaths can we remove the warriors using the Incubi saves. As there are 5 3+ saves and 3 5+ saves.

No.

That's just the normal majority save rule;
3+ saves are in the majority, so you make saves on a 3+, fail 2 and have to remove 2 models with that majority armour save.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Kritik

• Banned troll: My arrogance couldn't be matched!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 11:02:10 AM »
Number 3 should be written "affect Skimmers and Vehicles without a WS on a 3+." Just to broaden the horizon a bit.

14. Are ICs with Grots aloud to start off the board together? Because Grots require an IC to board the Raider, but in a mission with escalation, the grot is forced to be in reserve and thus cannot have an IC, but then it bought a raider... .'. Big confusion cause of contradiction.
I used to think that I knew everything,
but now I'm just banned.

Offline ArchonCryx

• Dracon Author of long replies
  • Ancient
  • Dracon: Kabal of the Bloodied Claw of Despair
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 11:16:27 AM »
Number 4 should have "is H Fex destroyed when the DL/ Dis gets destroyed, or can it only be destroyed by another Weapon Destroyed result?"

7. Add- As Jetbikes, Scourges, and Hellions are Jump troops, can they also come out a surrounded WWP?
Also, does the Talos count as  a skimmer for this purpose and thus also fly out even if WWP is surrounded.

Kritik, 14 - that one needs to be clarified generally. For instance, what of Drop Pods? Consider Black Templars - the EMps Champ cant get a retinue so cant buy a drop pod, so does he have to staert on the table or can he jpoin a squad in their DP? If yes, what are the implications for any races ICs joining a non retinue transported squad in reserve?

15. Can a skyboard IC use FoF or trhe 12" Assault drug if so equipped?

16. Can a Tormentor Helm be used to gain an extra attack for acharacter using a poison weapon such as Scissorhands (or blades)?

17. May a WWP be opened in the shooting phase even if the character is involved in a melee? What if he were locked but not engaged (outside kill zone)?

Can a WWP be opened even if the character is involved in a melee? What if she was locked but not engaged (outside kill zone)?
Thanks OllieB, that's much better, I get too wordy! ;) :D

18. Can a Character who remains stationary in the movement phase, then opens a portal in the shooting phase, now charge into assault?

19. How far does a Deep Striking Raider count as moving? How far does a ravager count as moving if deep striking? Less than 6", 6-12", or over 12"(thus NO shooting)?

20. Do Hellions (and ICs riding skyboards) count as moving enough after a deep strike so they can still use their Jink save?

21. Can Wyches use "Dodge" 4++ against The Psychic Power Holocaust, Mandiblasters, and other "shooty" powers that may occur during the assault phase like Laser Lances and Rough Rider Lances?

22. Can a character riding a jetbike carry and use a 2 handed weapon (eg Punisher) as suggested by WD article? If yes, can the character use two single handed weapons to get a bonus attack?

23. Can a Hellglaive still shoot on the charge and allow S4 attacks in assault as suggested in the Codex even though it's officialy a rapidfire weapon?

24. Further clarify GoS. Do enemy units also hit Wyches on 3s? DO other Dark Eldar squads who have a model in B2B with appropriate model also gain the ability to hit their enemies on 3s, a bit like Feeder tendrils?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 01:13:44 PM by ArchonCryx »
"As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking." Pete Haines   ;)

Lords of Terra (Open) +High Lords (invitational)- Sydney July 24-25 2012, 1750pts, check lordsofterra.com

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 11:25:37 AM »
Cryx,
For 17 do you mean assault phase instead of shooting phase?

Edit:  My bet is the FAQs are all ready written.  Don't guess it would hurt to try though.

I would reword Q#5.  To simply state whether or not WWs work both ways in HtH.  Regardless of other unit involvment.

Add a Q asking if the GoS allows the enemy to hit you on a 3+ as well.  This seems ambiguous in the DEX entry.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 11:54:35 AM by ollieb »
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline ArchonCryx

• Dracon Author of long replies
  • Ancient
  • Dracon: Kabal of the Bloodied Claw of Despair
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 12:01:04 PM »
I mean what I said, the WWP is opened in the shooting phase. The exact wording of the WWP rule goes "... It may be activated by the model carrying it in the shooting phase, instead of moving or shooting that turn. ..." (emphasis my own)

Obviously a model involved in a melee isn't moving in the movement phase or shooting anything, where does it actually say he can't do it while locked, even engaged, in melee? I think the answer is obvious (no) but it needs to be cleared up, imo.
"As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking." Pete Haines   ;)

Lords of Terra (Open) +High Lords (invitational)- Sydney July 24-25 2012, 1750pts, check lordsofterra.com

Offline Kritik

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 01:27:02 PM »
19. How far does a Deep Striking Raider count as moving? How far does a ravager count as moving if deep striking? Less than 6", 6-12", or over 12"(thus NO shooting)?

It says 6" in the entry for Sreaming jets...

24. Further clarify GoS. Do enemy units also hit Wyches on 3s? DO other Dark Eldar squads who have a model in B2B with appropriate model also gain the ability to hit their enemies on 3s, a bit like Feeder tendrils?

I think that's what the entry says...

There are some questions, I don't think, is contentious enough to be in the FAQ update...
but now I'm just banned.

Offline IncubiLord

• Archon
  • Self-Proclaimed Incubi Master of the CoA
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 02:35:38 PM »
Just to throw a random one out there...

6. If a detachment/army is lead by an Archon, can a wytch drachite be second in command
6.a. Can a Haemonculus lead the army/detachment and have it still include an Archite/Dracite?
(I'd imagine no to the Archite at least, but the Drachite would depend on #6)

Just blame IncubiLord - Kwi

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 03:54:32 PM »

WWP and missions using Reserves - are the Reserves always held back regardless, or can they also come on via a table edge if Reserves are part of the mission rules? How does this affect Deep Strike units?

WWP and assault - can a model deploy a WWP and assault in the same turn? Essentially, does 'move' include assault moves?

Grotesques - Do their rules allow them to have an IC joined before the start of the game? This is not allowed by the base rules, and the Grotesque rules don't explicity change those. Without an IC, they can't buy a Raider - is the Raider option defunct?

Offline -bill-

• Pine Lodge IFAs
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 04:11:54 PM »
Cryx,

Edit:  My bet is the FAQs are all ready written.  Don't guess it would hurt to try though.

maybe, maybe not. The mods posted the first request on the 17th and got 134 replies in 24 hoiurs, the second thread was launched today.

The only drawback that's a tad infuriating is those people who keep jumping in with their answers - one even admitting he didn''t even own the codex (LOL)

Offline Raven

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 05:33:27 PM »
Heres a couple of questions to ask:

Does an independant character's jetbike have a splinter rifle?

Does having "wytch weapons" count as having 2 CCWs? Ie. Can a wytch with a blaster get +1 attack for 2 ccws via them?

Offline allconsuminghat

• Warrior
  • Son of a silly person
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Lizardmen, Bretonnians.
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 04:09:48 AM »
No, wych weapons are not weapons as such, they are just an upgrade like grenades, there is no reason for them to grant +1 A, though, it still hasn't been cleared up whether blasters are single handed or not, if they are hellions could upgrade to have a blaster without removing their useless hellglaive, bit difference.  ;) Even if it is 1 handed, they wouldn' get +1 A as it isn't a pistol, so doesn't count as an extra cc weapon.

The splinter rifle on a IC jetbike is a good question though.
I'm happy to be wrong.

Farseer Jeff of Craftworld Iyanden 0/0/0
Archon Steve of the Kabal of Impending Bankruptcy 0/0/0

They're a peace loving people.

Offline Raven

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 01:33:18 PM »
No, wych weapons are not weapons as such, they are just an upgrade like grenades, there is no reason for them to grant +1 A, though, it still hasn't been cleared up whether blasters are single handed or not, if they are hellions could upgrade to have a blaster without removing their useless hellglaive, bit difference.  ;) Even if it is 1 handed, they wouldn' get +1 A as it isn't a pistol, so doesn't count as an extra cc weapon.

The splinter rifle on a IC jetbike is a good question though.

Firstly, I asked because its a FAQ, and should be a source of answers to questions :P

Secondly, go reread your rulebook, you don't need a pistol for +1 attack anymore. You need two single handed weapons.

The blaster suddenly is very important.

Offline -bill-

• Pine Lodge IFAs
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 07:23:59 PM »
Yup, totally agree - that's why it's question one

( nothing to do with the fact that I always play a minmum of 3 wytch squads and I do miss that extra attack as I always play to my detriment when there's no clear ruling - still tend to win though)

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 08:59:50 PM »
Wych Weapons used to actually mean something.  You could choose to equip either a Razorsnare and Falcion or Hydarknives.  Now they are just the generic term for wargear that 1/2s WS and decreases your opponents attacks down to his base.  If you don't put them on your Wyches your opponent gets to hit you with everything. 
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Kritik

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 11:11:30 AM »
Wych Weapons isn't a weapon. I mean it may have the word weapons in it, but it is just a unit upgrade. ALL it does is half WS and ignores the opponent's extra cc weapons. That's all. Nothing in the entry as to being counted as a close combat weapon, etc.
but now I'm just banned.

Offline -bill-

• Pine Lodge IFAs
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 05:54:41 PM »
Interesting development.

Just looked at the Gw 40k UK Forums Threads to see all the old faqs have been pulled. Hopefully our input will produce some results for DE (but on past experience don't get your hopes up).

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 09:11:34 PM »
I doubt that they'll pay much attentiont to us, but even so I'm fairly sure we'll get something helpful out of it, even if it's only a couple of little things. I know that GW are aware of the Horrorfex issue, and I'm pretty sure they'll know about the Wych Weapons problem as well - I would expect these to be fixed at least. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Skyboard and Combat Drugs 12" assault ruling by Andy Hoare get added in too.

But anything more than that, I doubt it.