News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dismal Deathwath Outing AND Thoughts on New Orks from a Space Marine Perspective  (Read 5023 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
True. I just like the deepstrike and 18" range. Plus, 6d3 shots at s8 -3 d2 each, is pretty nice.

Bikes need to get close, or don't have as many shots. Although, they are probably a bit quicker, and the twin-bolters are a nightmare at short range.

From a Deathwatch perspective, the bikes get access to Special Issue Ammunition and the Inceptors don't. That kinda pushes it over the edge for me.

Assuming either of those units will work well at all against a horde army, of which I am not currently convinced.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
True, but I was thinking of them for Anti-tank/heavy infantry, in which case you're probably not worried about what bolters they have. Anti-infantry is a lot easier to find. Aggressors for example, or a bunch of twin-assault cannon razorbacks, or just bolter fire.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
True, but I was thinking of them for Anti-tank/heavy infantry, in which case you're probably not worried about what bolters they have. Anti-infantry is a lot easier to find. Aggressors for example, or a bunch of twin-assault cannon razorbacks, or just bolter fire.

I can't remember the last time I had to shoot heavy infantry, but yeah.

Besides, Vengeance Bolts work just fine on most heavily armored, medium toughness targets.

The Inceptors *do* have weight of dice, though. The plasma option...eh, we're making a not-so-tough unit even *more* expensive? I'm dubious. 

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
They put out a lot of hurt though, you just gotta play them carefully, and choose the right targets. Deepstrike, and an 18" range helps with this. I've seen the plasma squad just obliterate tanks. 2d3 shots each can really add up. Especially with the deathwatch re-roll wounds, and a captain nearby.

If you can apply pressure with other units, and keep the inceptors back, they can live longer than one turn. If your whole army is in your deployment zone, and you drop the inceptors in, they will die the turn after they shoot.

The bolter versions I think are brilliant as well.

I think I'd always take these guys over hellblasters, just due to the mobility they have. They'll probably have the same number, or more shots than a hellblasters squad anyway.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
I think the main question there is how much pressure can be applied. Auto Bolt Rifles for sure, Aggressors. But you still need to get kinda close, and that means a turn of being shot up. That's rough.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
The Ork Errata has something to say about Grot shields.
http://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/warhammer_40000_orks_en.pdf

...and we're right back to Grots being permanent bullet sponges. FFS.

• Ancient
Yep, it's going to be pretty obnoxious to fight. Just have to kill the Grots first, or hope your opponent fails their look out sir rolls.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria