News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Codex: Steel Dragons a.k.a. Codex: Dreadnoughts (Version 2.0)  (Read 2072 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
Well, since it seems my previous one got deleted I thought I’d start again, unfortunately I’ve lost most of the notes I made so some of them have had to be made from scratch again.

Despite this, I remembered the problems people had with the ‘Hurricane’ Pattern Dread, and I have dropped it in this book, replacing it with the 'Hydra' Pattern Dreadnought instead.

Anyway, enjoy :).

Note - Drop Pods may be chosen as usual, but they cost an extra 20pts.

* - Per  Venerable and/or Ancient Dreadnought.

Codex: Steel Dragons a.k.a. Codex: Dreadnoughts

HQ
Venerable Dreadnought
As per the rules, points costs and options of the ‘Space Wolf Venerable Dreadnought’ in Codex: Space Wolves, although it’s basic cost is increased by +40pts.

Elites
Ancient Dreadnought
As per the rules, points costs and options of the ‘Dreadnought’ in Codex: Space Marines, except it costs an extra 40pts and automatically has the ‘Venerable’ Upgrade (included in the previously mentioned points cost).

0-2 ‘Furioso’ Pattern Dreadnought
As per the rules, points costs and options of the ‘Furioso Dreadnought’ in Codex: Blood Angels, although it costs an extra 30pts. Note that it automatically comes with the ‘Furious Assault’ rule, but does not benefit from any other Blood Angel specific rules.

0-2 ‘Mortis’ Pattern Dreadnought
As per the rules, points costs and options of the ‘Mortis Dreadnought’ found in Imperial Armour Volume Two, although it costs an extra 20pts.

Troops
1-2* Dreadnought
As per the rules, points costs and options of the ‘Dreadnought’ in Codex: Space Marines, except they must replace their Assault Cannons for Heavy Bolters (it is a 'free' upgrade/downgrade, they still cost the same amount) and may not upgrade to a T-L Lascannon. Note that they may not be upgraded to ‘Venerable’.

Fast Attack
0-1 ‘Tiamat’ Pattern Dreadnought
NameWsBsSIALdFASARAPts
Tiamat Dreadnought446(10)43+19121210205
Weapons: Tiamat Dreadnoughts come with a pair of Dreadnought Close Combat Weapons (bonus attack inc. in profile) with built-in Storm Bolters.

Options: May replace one or both of the Storm Bolters with a Meltagun at +12pts and/or a Heavy Flamer at +8pts.

Special Rules
Jump Engine: ‘Tiamat’ Pattern Dreadnoughts have a rare and experimental engine that allows them to make short ‘leaps’ into the air. Unfortunately they have yet to perfect the stability of the landing, which often results in slowing down the Dreadnought in the long run.

‘Tiamat’ Pattern Dreadnoughts may elect to move 12” as if they were using a Jump Pack. However if it elects to do this then you must roll a D6 after ‘landing’, on a roll of 4-5 the Dreadnought counts as having taken a ’Crew Shaken’ result, and on a roll of 6 the Dreadnought counts as having taken a ‘Crew Stunned’ result.

‘Blitz’ Pattern Dreadnought
As per the rules, points costs and options of the ‘Dreadnought’ in Codex: Space Marines, except it costs an extra 60pts, benefits from the Fleet Of Iron Foot rule, but may not be upgraded to ‘Venerable’, can not upgrade their Assault Cannon to a Twin Linked Lascannon and can not replace their Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with a Missile Launcher.

Heavy Support
0-1 ‘Hyrda’ Pattern Dreadnought
NameWsBsSIALdFASARAPts
Hydra Dreadnought446419121212185
Weapons: Hydra Dreadnoughts come with a pair of Typhoon Missile Launchers.

Options: May replace both their Typhoon Missile Launchers with a T-L Whirlwind Missile Launcher at +20pts. Note that they can only fire the Vengeance rounds and not the Castellan rounds.

Special Rules
Locked And Loaded: While ‘Hydra’ Pattern Dreadnoughts are able to move around, they typically lock themselves into a stable position so they can fire a barrage of missiles at their opponents without it knocking the Dreadnought off balance.

‘Hydra’ pattern Dreadnoughts are Immobile. Once they have been deployed they can no longer move, but have a firing arc of 360 degrees due to their torso being modified to easily rotate fully. Note that they may still take and arrive in Drop Pods as usual, but become Immobile once 'stepping off' of the Drop Pod

0-1 ‘Bahamut’ Pattern Dreadnought
NameWsBsSIALdFASARAPts
Bahamut Dreadnought446429131210225
Weapons: Bahamut Dreadnoughts come with a Missile Launcher and a Plasma Disrupter (a Plasma Cannon with D3 shots).

Special Rules
Stabalisers: ‘Bahamut’ Pattern Dreadnoughts have built in stabalisers to allow it to cope with moving and firing it‘s heavy weapony, however this, coupled with it‘s heavier armour, makes it a slow mover.

‘Bahamut’ Pattern Dreadnoughts always move as if moving through difficult terrain but may fire all of their weapons whether moving or not.

‘Helfire’ Pattern Dreadnought
As per the rules of the ‘Dreadnought’ in Codex: Space Marines, except it costs an extra 40pts, replaces it’s Assault Cannon with an Inferno Cannon and it’s Storm Bolter with a  Heavy Flamer (both included in the aforementioned points increase) and may not be upgraded to ‘Venerable’.

I’m looking for any constructive suggestions or opinions, and I’d request that people who think this list is cheesy think of ways to make it more balanced rather than just posting as such, as I know that this kind of list would have advantages over quite a few other Armies, however that is why everything costs more.

Thanks to all those that reply :).

~MTWC
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 02:21:41 PM by Makenshi »
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Codex: Steel Dragons a.k.a. Codex: Dreadnoughts (Version 2.0)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 03:50:02 PM »
At first glance, I think it's a really cool list.

I don't think the tiamat is very useful. A 50/50 chance of being reduce to a single CC attack when using the special move seems a bit too high.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 03:51:17 PM »
Huh? It's a 50/50 Chance of not being able to shoot, Shaken stops you from shooting.

Or am I missing something?

~MTWC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 03:57:49 PM »
Walkers are reduced to a single CC attack when shaken or stunned, IIRC. I'm not sure if that includes bonus attacks for charging. I don't think the BGB is clear on that point.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 04:00:35 PM »
Walkers are reduced to a single CC attack when shaken or stunned, IIRC.

Are you sure? I would check myself but unfortunately I left my rulebook (along with my Codexes ¬¬) at my mums and wont be able to get a hold of them until Monday...

~MTWC

Offline Shadow Angel

• Forsaken by our kin, we will rise again
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 04:26:13 PM »
Walkers are reduced to a single CC attack when shaken or stunned, IIRC. I'm not sure if that includes bonus attacks for charging.

Actually, the BGB states that immobilised, shaken, and stunned walkers fight with one less CC attack than normal, to a minimum of one attack. Otherwise they attack normally, so they probably would get the bonuses for charging and/or having multiple weapons added in when applicable

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 04:27:09 PM »
howdy -this is exciting.  I've always liked ..well ..dreadnoughts and have thought about various situations in which to field a ton of them.  I always liked the idea of a dreadnaught knight army with different colors/chapters contributing.  I've thought about the heed the wisdom of the ancients rule for six (but this still remains unclear and you would still need SM troops) and counts as deathwing armies with three dreads and a ton of termies from different chapters.  Without using the Dark Angels I would feel bad about using Mortis pattern dreads (which I have no experience with but love the idea of.)  Perhaps this list will help.  As my regular opponent is a 40konline member hopefully I can get permission to use this list and experiment.  Unfortunately I currently only have 3 dreads -2 deathguard - -heavy bolters and DCCW or two DCCWs --and plasma/missile launcher --and an Imperial Fist Dread with either assault cannon DCCw or lascanon missile or any permutation of these armaments.  Alright there's the jazz now heres the questions and input.

I cringe at the idea of spending 250 pts on a dread let alone anything over 150.  Yet I understand that a lot of armies troops couldn't scratch dreads (guants etc.) (however I read a battle report on this site with the six dreads and they got squashed.)
 perhaps the list can come with an adversaries addendum so that we don't have to pay extra.  Maybe a free Heavy support selection for the opponent or something.

It seems that with an all dreadnought army (being as whacky an idea as that is) one should be able to field whatever flavor of dread that they want.  As such I'd like to see some of the restrictions in the Elites section removed.  - why not three Mortis or Furiosos.  You're paying an arm and a leg for them any way.  Just a thought.

Although it bums me out to say so but I think that there should be a two troop minimum (as with everything else in the game) instead of the 1-2.  I think some would think it unfair that only one troop is necessary as you have to paint and field less stuff.  Unless this tied in with the alterations to the opponents forces.  i.e.  if playing a steel dragons army the opponent can opt to swap out one troops choice in favor of an additional Heavy support option or something.

FA -like the idea of the turbo jumping dreads and I think the disadvantages make it balanced.  This reminds me of mech video games etc.  where the mech can jump into the air and sort of hover over the battlefield forward or backward and shoot.  perhaps this sort of concept could be utilized for another variant, in either the heavy support section or fast attack.  this could effect line of sight, sort of like the necrons ability to see everything as they hover over terrain and the battle field in general.  It would need a significant downside however.  Only usable once per game or something. 

HS -for the Hydra pattern dreads -were you picturing sort of mortis pattern missile launchers to count as the typhoon weapons  or some sort of shoulder mounted weapon systems (like terminators or the typhoon landspeeder.) both would look cool.  I love dreadnoughts!!
only suggestions I would have for the HS section would be to allow for a normal dread to be taken and equipped how the player sees fit.  this way the player can experiment within the existing rules with whatever upgrades there are from the armory.  Extra armor, hunter killer missiles etc. (not that they'd want to with such great upgrades available.)  I guess this would make them cheaper however and more unfair to the opponent.

this seems like a great idea and as I said I'd like to try it out.  Too bad I don't have any mortis, furioso, Hydra, or hellfire pattern dreads lying around. :'(  I guess what I do have is an HQ -IF dread.  1 Bahamut pattern dread for HS and one either normal troop or tiamet pattern dread.  keep up the good work.  like the names too.  ever play Brigandine for the old play station?  the names, although they are common fantasy creatures etc., remind me of that.   Dreadnoughts rock  later  WG

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 04:54:04 PM »
Walkers are reduced to a single CC attack when shaken or stunned, IIRC. I'm not sure if that includes bonus attacks for charging.

Actually, the BGB states that immobilised, shaken, and stunned walkers fight with one less CC attack than normal, to a minimum of one attack. Otherwise they attack normally, so they probably would get the bonuses for charging and/or having multiple weapons added in when applicable

Ah, that's fine then, the 'Tiamat' Pattern Dread has an additional basic Attack to normal Dreadnoughts anyway.

I cringe at the idea of spending 250 pts on a dread let alone anything over 150.  Yet I understand that a lot of armies troops couldn't scratch dreads (guants etc.) (however I read a battle report on this site with the six dreads and they got squashed.)

I'm unsure about the 250pts thing myself as I made it using the Chapter Approved rules, and it does seem quite a bit overpriced. On the other hand, it has the potential for firing 4 small blast templates a turn (3 of which can kill Termies like wildfire)...

perhaps the list can come with an adversaries addendum so that we don't have to pay extra.  Maybe a free Heavy support selection for the opponent or something.

I can't see that especially making a difference, most armies are able to get a lot Anti-Tank elsewhere, although perhaps I could moreso limit the troops or even make a special FoC for this army?

It seems that with an all dreadnought army (being as whacky an idea as that is) one should be able to field whatever flavor of dread that they want.  As such I'd like to see some of the restrictions in the Elites section removed.  - why not three Mortis or Furiosos.  You're paying an arm and a leg for them any way.  Just a thought.

True, I have considered making them 0-2 or possibly having special 'upgrades' to the Venerable Dreadnought that would 'theme' it to one of those two, and change the FoC) (switching them with the normal Dreads).

Although it bums me out to say so but I think that there should be a two troop minimum (as with everything else in the game) instead of the 1-2.  I think some would think it unfair that only one troop is necessary as you have to paint and field less stuff.  Unless this tied in with the alterations to the opponents forces.  i.e.  if playing a steel dragons army the opponent can opt to swap out one troops choice in favor of an additional Heavy support option or something.

Well, in most FoCs two Troops is the minimum, the 1-2 basically means that for every Ancient or Venerable Dread you take you must take one Normal Dread, and can take one more if you so wish.

FA -like the idea of the turbo jumping dreads and I think the disadvantages make it balanced.  This reminds me of mech video games etc.  where the mech can jump into the air and sort of hover over the battlefield forward or backward and shoot.  perhaps this sort of concept could be utilized for another variant, in either the heavy support section or fast attack.  this could effect line of sight, sort of like the necrons ability to see everything as they hover over terrain and the battle field in general.  It would need a significant downside however.  Only usable once per game or something.

Hmmm, while it does appeal to me, it seems a bit iffy personally, I want to stay away from the ideas of 'Space Marine Tau' so to speak. I did consider some kind of 'skimmer' Dread/Land Speeder cross, which wouldn'y be abel to move as fast as a Skimmer, but in the same way...

HS -for the Hydra pattern dreads -were you picturing sort of mortis pattern missile launchers to count as the typhoon weapons  or some sort of shoulder mounted weapon systems (like terminators or the typhoon landspeeder.) both would look cool.  I love dreadnoughts!!

I was picturing a Dread with missile launching holes up the whazoo :P! Basically they'd be bigger versions of the current Missile launcher, but going on the side and on the shoulder (think a massive shoulder pad) and beign generally bigger anyway

only suggestions I would have for the HS section would be to allow for a normal dread to be taken and equipped how the player sees fit.  this way the player can experiment within the existing rules with whatever upgrades there are from the armory.  Extra armor, hunter killer missiles etc. (not that they'd want to with such great upgrades available.)  I guess this would make them cheaper however and more unfair to the opponent.

Hmmm, I guess I could allow them to take a Dread that automatically comes with a Missile Launcher (but the AssCan remains), however I'd rather not just allow them to take a normal Dread, as they already appear in both Elites and Troops (and Heavy Support in a way, due to the Hellfire Dread).

this seems like a great idea and as I said I'd like to try it out.  Too bad I don't have any mortis, furioso, Hydra, or hellfire pattern dreads lying around. :'(  I guess what I do have is an HQ -IF dread.  1 Bahamut pattern dread for HS and one either normal troop or tiamet pattern dread.  keep up the good work.  like the names too.  ever play Brigandine for the old play station?  the names, although they are common fantasy creatures etc., remind me of that.   Dreadnoughts rock  later  WG

Nope, I was looking for any kidn fo 'legendary dragon' names and Tiamat and bahamat where the only ones I knew of, due to Final Fantasy :P.

Thanks for the comments :).

~MTWC

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 05:39:24 PM »
Nope, I was looking for any kidn fo 'legendary dragon' names and Tiamat and bahamat where the only ones I knew of, due to Final Fantasy .
couple of other dragonish names -Wyvern -faster smaller dragons, sans arms.  Couatl -good dragony snake things with huge multi colored wings.  Chimera -although these are kind of in use already.  Griffon -though not really a dragon.  Manticore -same thing.  Salamander -same thing.  although this might be nice for the hellfire variant.  What the hell does an inferno cannon do any way besides look cool?  Some sort of fancy flamer? And good ole fashioned Wyrm  -as in great Wyrm for HQ or fire Wyrm for HS.  Sounds kind of cheesy though.  later  WG

Offline BFTrick

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 05:51:46 PM »
looks like a cool list, when i become a millionare i will make use of this list  ;)

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 06:04:21 PM »
Walkers are reduced to a single CC attack when shaken or stunned, IIRC. I'm not sure if that includes bonus attacks for charging. I don't think the BGB is clear on that point.

Ah, yeah, my bad. Since I generally only use this rule when my dread gets shaken during a combat round, -1 attack and reduced to 1 attack end up being the same thing. The tiamat seems a lot better when using the actual rules.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 07:05:16 PM »
Nope, I was looking for any kidn fo 'legendary dragon' names and Tiamat and bahamat where the only ones I knew of, due to Final Fantasy .
couple of other dragonish names -Wyvern -faster smaller dragons, sans arms.  Couatl -good dragony snake things with huge multi colored wings.  Chimera -although these are kind of in use already.  Griffon -though not really a dragon.  Manticore -same thing.  Salamander -same thing.  although this might be nice for the hellfire variant.  What the hell does an inferno cannon do any way besides look cool?  Some sort of fancy flamer? And good ole fashioned Wyrm  -as in great Wyrm for HQ or fire Wyrm for HS.  Sounds kind of cheesy though.  later  WG

Slamander has connotations with the Chapter, I may use some of your other suggestions though :).

As for the Inferno Cannon, it's basically 'shoots' a flamer template as far as a lasgun shoots when standing still.

The tiamat seems a lot better when using the actual rules.

Not sure what you mean by this...

~MTWC
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 07:41:08 PM by Makenshi »

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 07:35:21 PM »

Sorry, I wasn't really clear. With the actual rules for shaken/stunned walkers, rather than my misremembered rules, the Tiamat seems like it would be a good choice.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 07:40:09 PM »

Sorry, I wasn't really clear. With the actual rules for shaken/stunned walkers, rather than my misremembered rules, the Tiamat seems like it would be a good choice.

Ah, that's good to hear then :).

~MTWC

Offline JamesBot 9000

• He who begged to be a Moderator - Commissar- Official 40kO Sucker - 40kOnline's Wingman
  • Ancient
  • It's on now, chaps!
    • Out-of-Plane Labs
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 01:16:02 AM »
Very cool Codex, 'Kensh.
Just a question, got any fluff to back-up using an all-Dread army?

The "I build robots" badge (LEVEL IV)
In which, technically, the recipient is not in the business of world domination (as dictated by membership rules*), but has built a robot that is.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Herr.Erdnuss
Quote from: Jimmy said this last night in a dark closet
"Sorry, Jimmy can not resist!"
There were no survivors.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006, 10:01:27 AM »
Just a question, got any fluff to back-up using an all-Dread army?

I made the Steel Dragons a while ago as a proper list with Heed The Wisdom, although parts of the fluff have changed in my mind so it's not truely 'up to date' at the moment, but most of the premise is the same:

The Steel Dragons

Traits
Advantages
-Heed The Wisdom Of The Ancients (They have lots of casualties and  have been a round for quite a wile)
-Cleanse And Purify (They prefer to keep on the move)
Minor Disadvantage
-Have Pride In Your Colours (They are stubbornly proud and do not hide from the enemy, they strike like a hammer without warning but they would never hide)
Major Disadvantage
-Eye To Eye (They prefer to ‘drop in’ unannounced rather than career across the battlefield)

About The Steel Dragons

Origins

The Steel Dragons’ Gene-Seed originates from the Ravenguard, however their tactics differ slightly, with exception to the mass drop pods.

Home World

The Steel Dragons rarely stray far from the Ravenguard home world, Deliverance, as although they are a different Chapter they hold an admiral (some would say unhealthy) respect for their first founding chapter.

Due to this they mainly patrol the Segmentum Tempetsus on small ‘Crusades’. As they have no world to call home they recruit from the planets they save and have at least small establishments on each and every one too.

Tactics/Organisation

Wile the Ravenguard employ surgical strikes using their infiltrating skills and fast troops the Steel Dragons employ a similar and dissimilar tactic. They make planet fall but instead of their drop pods holding troops they hold Dreadnoughts.

They rely heavily on their Dreadnoughts (of which they have many) and their Terminators to deliver the punishing blows wile their small (in comparison) amount of troops clear up the leftovers and any enemies too fast for the Dreadnoughts and Terminators.

As a result they are quite close combat orientated but are flexible at the same time, sometimes they will mix close combat units with long ranged units and drop pod/teleport the former into the heat of battle and drop pod/teleport the later into ideal locations where they can dig themselves in and cause some real havoc.

Due to their many Dreadnoughts the Steel Dragons often have veteran Techmarines amongst their ranks and its not uncommon for them to be led by them at times.

They deviated their tactics when their newest Librarian, Nuncio Junius, received a vision from The Emperor telling him ‘To Rely On The Ancients For They Know Best’. Although some met this with scepticism at first their Chapter Master, Regis Quade, immediately reacted and instead of dropping their surgical strike teams of Veteran Space Marine Squads and Tactical Squads they sent down ’Salvo’ Pattern Dreadnoughts and Venerable ‘Assault’ Pattern Dreadnoughts to cleanse the planet of a band of Dark Eldar Pirates. It was estimated that the conflict would take seven hours at the least, but the Dark Eldar were almost totally annihilated off the face of the planet by the combined forces of the Dreadnoughts and scattered Imperial Guard forces in only three hours. The Venerable Dreadnoughts rallied all the Imperial forces around them, performing suicidal charges against the enemy wile the ‘Salvo’ Dreadnoughts steadily advanced pouring endless amounts of Lascannon, Missile and Assault Cannon fire into all that they laid eyes on.

The chapter was victorious and from then on Nuncio was hailed as ‘The Great Messenger’ and they have since heavily used their Dreadnoughts to their fullest and deadliest potential.

Enemies/Friends And Other Information

The Steel Dragons have 2 main enemies, one within the Imperium and one out of it.

The Steel Dragons detest the Dark Eldar, however, the Steel Dragons respect the Eldar (Craftworld), they will always defend their planet against any threat but they have never hated the Eldar of the Crawftworlds and it’s not uncommon for the two forces to fight side by side (compared to other Chapters) however neither consider themselves allies. This is a bizarre thing as they both hate the Eldar as an enemy but respect their power and skill, therefore considering them a worthy foe.

This respect of a Xenos race has made them more enemies within the Imperium than friends however none oppose their acceptance of the Eldar more furiously then the Dark Knights. For 400 years High Marshal Amadeus Armand has repeatedly requested that the Steel Dragons be branded excommunicate traitors however the Steel Dragons are roughly 10 times older than the Dark Knights (who about 500 years old) and as such have taken part in many more epic battles than the Dark Knights have.

The Steel Dragons are also extremely stubborn and refuse to back down from any fight no matter the odds and will courageously defend a planet down to their last man standing.

Characters

Epistolary Nuncio ‘The Great Messenger’
Nuncio is the famed Librarian who, when he was still training, received a vision from the God Emperor to take full advantage of the Chapters Dreadnoughts. Nuncio has now honed his skills and boasts the rank of Epistolary and Chief Librarian of the Steel Dragons. He battles with his Libarium of Terminators, and they all have an unnerving link, no doubt originating from Nuncio himself that allows them to fight as one entity.

The Exalted Brother Chael and ‘The Divine Guidance’
Brother Chael was one of the Venerable Dreadnoughts sent to purge the Dark Eldar after the Emperors Message. He fell in battle against an Eldar Farseer and now his psychic talent has been wasted however his tactical prowess is an immense asset to the Steel Dragons and he continues to serve within the armoured sarcophagus or the Dreadnought ‘The Divine Guidance’ which was modified so that Brother Chael would still be awe-inspiring. Brother Chael is the only Steel Dragon that deters from the Chapters colours. Instead of the silver and green Dreadnought that most crippled Battle Brothers are encased in, Chael was encased within a gold and green dragon and he stands proud with the Chapter badge, of course, untouched.

The Exalted Brother Orson and ‘The Steel Claw’
Brother Orson was once an Assault Terminator but he was almost slain by an Eldar Avatar. It was decided that surviving, although barely, such an attack was worthy of being encased within a dreadnought and, as with all those who truly prove themselves worthy, it was no ordinary Dreadnought. ‘The Steel Claw’ was modified to have large raking claws similar to lightning claws and numerous other sharp blades placed upon the Dreadnought.

The Exalted Brother Augustus and ‘The Saint Shield’
Brother Augustus was once a Master of Sanctity until he disappeared after an attack from a piratical force of Dark Eldar who took him prisoner. After almost a decade he was freed by an unknown power and returned to an Imperial planet where he was found and identified as The Master of Sanctity Augustus. At first it was deemed too risky to emplace him within a dreadnought encase he had been corrupted by the Dark Eldar, however Nuncio ‘The Great Messenger’ personally requested that Brother Augustus be emplaced within a specially designed Dreadnought.

‘We Shall Stand Strong Even To Our Last Man Standing’-The Steel Dragons

‘As Long As One Steel Dragon Stands, We Shall Show No Respite To Our Enemies’-Chapter Master Regis Quade of the Steel Dragons

It's been a while since I've worked on the fluff (as in writing it down), and at present time I've pretty much dropped the heavy termies theme as that, combined with the heavy Dreads, really made the original lists I made unbalanced (very few troops).

~MTWC

Offline JamesBot 9000

• He who begged to be a Moderator - Commissar- Official 40kO Sucker - 40kOnline's Wingman
  • Ancient
  • It's on now, chaps!
    • Out-of-Plane Labs
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 01:14:37 AM »
Very nice!
Have you actually converted models for any of the special characters yet?

The "I build robots" badge (LEVEL IV)
In which, technically, the recipient is not in the business of world domination (as dictated by membership rules*), but has built a robot that is.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Herr.Erdnuss
Quote from: Jimmy said this last night in a dark closet
"Sorry, Jimmy can not resist!"
There were no survivors.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 08:17:22 AM »
Very nice!
Have you actually converted models for any of the special characters yet?

Nope, I'm not much of a converter, but I may have a go at doing some Dreads due to not havign the money to really start an army etc.

I already have two repeats anyway (2 normal Dreads, 2 Forgeworld Ven Dreads and a Space Wolf Ven Dread), so converting would be the best way to make them stand out more, as each Dreadnoguht is suppsoed to be unique in a Steel Dragosn army.

~MTWC

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 01:54:29 PM »
Update

I have extened the 0-1 Limit on Mortis' and Furiosos to 0-2, however I also intend to include special 'vehcicle upgrades' that will allow them to be more common place (perhaps replacing the normal troop choices, but with slight alterations to points and weaponry).

I have also lowered the cost for the 'Tiamat' and 'Bahamut' Pattern Dreadnoughts as I miscalculated  before ¬¬...

~MTWC