News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2k Clandestine Guard, With & Without ][ Allies  (Read 1266 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
2k Clandestine Guard, With & Without ][ Allies
« on: March 6, 2006, 04:03:16 PM »
If you want to skip the fluff scroll until you see the line across the post ;).

The Clandestine Guard

Traits
Advantages
- ‘See, But Don’t Be Seen’ (The Clandestine Guard utilise surgical strikes to tear apart their enemies in a hail of fire)
- ‘Honour Your Wargear’ (They use heavy firepower to take out their enemy before they can react)
Disadvantage
- ‘Have Faith In Suspicion’ (Due to their proximity to Chaos they do not trust Psykers)
Major Disadvantage
- ‘Aspire To Glory’ (They cannot afford to take their relics and sacred Dreadnoughts except under the direst of circumstances as their missions are high risk)

About The Clandestine Guard

Origins

The Clandestine Guard’s gene-seed originates from the Ravenguard. They employ a similar tactic to their founding chapter however they use their immense firepower rather than close combat hit and run attacks to overwhelm the enemy.

Home World

The Clandestine Guard are extremely secretive, even to the Inquisition. Because of this they have no home world, they travel upon their ‘fortress’ battle barge aptly named ‘The Emperors Illicit Vengeance’ which patrols the Segmentum Pacificus, never staying in the same place for long and moving immediately if they think they have been discovered.

Tactics/Organisation

As said before the Clandestine Guard use surgical strikes to deal punishing firepower to cripple their foes before they can strike back. This is not done in close range as they use their large amount of infiltrators to set up in powerful defensive positions rather than as close to the enemy as possible.

This tactic came about as they are used to facing Chaos cults of the human and Space Marine kind, meaning the quicker they are destroyed they less potent their taint is, for, despite their extremely secretive ways the Clandestine Guard detest wasting the lives of citizens of the Imperium and will act quickly to defend all of them from the taint of Chaos.

They also Heavily invest in versatile (Missile Launcher) Devastator squads and sniper scouts. They are usually an all infantry army, this is to make it easier to transport, maintain and also makes it harder for them to be spotted, however they do on occasion use Assault Squads and Land Speeders, however never bikes, terrain is too much of a hindrance to them and the Clandestine Guard pride themselves on being able to fight in any condition.

The Clandestine Guard do not use Tactical Squads for as soon as a Scout is considered ready they are initiated into Devastator squads.

Enemies/Friends And Other Information

As has been sad before the Clandestine Guard are very secretive, this is because they were created to fight the Red Corsairs and Chaos taint in the Segmentum Pacificus and hence do not trust anyone, especially Psykers. They are weary of all Inquisitors and will demand said Inquisitor prove their loyalty and purity before they trust them fully, if the Inquisitor is a notable Psyker then they simply will not collaborate with them at all.

Despite their secretiveness they are one of the more welcome Space Marine Chapters in the Segmentum Pacificus, at least by the general populace. The reason for this is that they are reknown for their intense distaste for collateral damage, their tactics and organisation being geared towards removing the key threats and often focussing on destabalising their enemy's command structure instead of simply tryign to obliterate them.

In addition, there is no record of them ever bombarding a planet, although most Inquisitors find it very hard to find the Clandestine Guard and they themselves rarely speak of anything they have done, so this belief has often been questioned.

For this and many other reasons, Chapter Master Alistair of the Clandestine Guard, is often referred to as 'The Defender Of Men', for his and his Chapter's actions.

2k Non ][ List
HQ
Chapter-Master Alistair, The Defender Of Men
Master
Storm Bolter
Power Weapon
Auspex
Infiltrate
Combat Shield (Point Filler)
=110pts

8 Space Marines
2 Heavy Bolters
Infiltrate
=174pts

HQ=284pts

E
(x2) 8 Devastators
4 Missile Launchers
Infiltrate
Tank Hunters
=496pts (298/squad)

E=496pts

T
(x6) 8 Scouts
Missile Launcher
7 Sniper Rifles
=894pts (149/squad)

T=894pts

HS
(x2) 8 Devastators
4 Heavy Bolters
Infiltrate
=328pts (164/squad)

E=328pts

Total=2002pts

Model Count=89

2k ][ List
HQ
Chapter-Master Alistair, The Defender Of Men
Master
Storm Bolter
Power Weapon
Combat Shield
Auspex
Infiltrate
=95pts

Command Squad
6 Space Marines
2 Heavy Bolters
Infiltrate
=138pts

Inquisitor Conroy
Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor Lord
Power Weapon
Storm Bolter
Rosarius
Psychic Hood
Auspex
2 Gun Servitors w/ Heavy Bolters
2 Sages
=192pts

HQ=425pts

E
(x2) 8 Devastators
4 Missile Launchers
Infiltrate
Tank Hunters
=496pts (298/squad)

Gale, The Black Wind
Vindicaire Assassin
=110pts

E=606pts

T
(x3) 8 Scouts
1 Missile Launcher
7 Sniper Rifles
=447pts (149/squad)

(x2)6 Scouts
1 Missile Launcher
5 Sniper Rifles
=216pys (108/squad)

T=663pts

HS
(x2) 6 Devastators
3 Heavy Bolters
Infiltrate
=306pts (153/squad)

E=306pts

Total=2000pts

Model Count=77

Opinions?

~MTWC
« Last Edit: March 6, 2006, 04:48:17 PM by Makenshi »
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Findecano

Re: 2k Clandestine Guard, With & Without ][ Allies
« Reply #1 on: March 6, 2006, 04:18:04 PM »
as a DH player, I'd say: lose the 2 servitors, get some antitank for that squad (plasma cannon servitor/multimelta, meltabombs for the lord) If you're taking the lord because you need the vindicare, ally a witchhunter elite inquisitor instead. Vindicares are generally not regarded as great, but against certain armies they can work (as a matter of fact, they can always work, you'll just need to kill at least 192+110 points to make him viable with only six shots availible. As for the inquisitor, I'd go for a psycannon/storm bolter , power weapon, familiar, some HB and plasma cannon servitors, and a mystic. (shooting incoming deepstrikers seems to be what your army would like to do.) I wouldn't go for a rosarius though. maybe a refractor field.
Armies: Sons of Malice, Inquisitorial Black Ship force, Salamanders, Raven Guard.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: March 6, 2006, 04:47:56 PM »
Whoops, that's a typo, should be 'Ordo Hereticus', it's a WH ][, not DH, must have been dsitracted when typing it up ¬¬.

I dislike Plasma, and don't want to mix weaponry (Plasma is anti-heavy infantry/light vehicles, while Multi-Meltas are anti-Heavy Vehicles), so I'll stick with the HBs.

I also consider Meltas a waste on characters, if you want to get them up close then take advanatge of their many Attacks, using Melta's means you only get one attack.

Vindicaire is mainly a fluffy choice, besides, I love the model :P.

~MTWC
« Last Edit: March 6, 2006, 04:51:38 PM by Makenshi »
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2006, 04:56:20 PM »
I really like the fluff, and the list matches it nicely.

The list is all kinds of shooty. I wouldn't want to dislodge 90 marines from good cover, even if half of them are scouts. The only thing I might suggest is to drop some scouts and get a squad or two of assault marines to grab objectives and stop any enemy breakthroughs, and I don't fee too strongly about that.  I also had some concern about the complete lack of AP2, but I suspect your sheer volume of fire would make up for that.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: March 6, 2006, 05:21:32 PM »
I really like the fluff, and the list matches it nicely.

Thanks, theming lists to fluff is why I make army lists ;D.

The list is all kinds of shooty. I wouldn't want to dislodge 90 marines from good cover, even if half of them are scouts.

Yup, the fact that 2/3 of the time I'll have a most of the board as my effective 'deployment zone', means I'll also have the advantage of setting up last in most cases, as well as the obvious tactical advanategs of being able to deply almost everywhere on the board ;).

The only thing I might suggest is to drop some scouts and get a squad or two of assault marines to grab objectives and stop any enemy breakthroughs, and I don't fee too strongly about that.

It goes against the fluff, however I did consider getting some allied Seraphim for this function, but decided that I didn't want to sacrifice anymore of the units.

I also had some concern about the complete lack of AP2, but I suspect your sheer volume of fire would make up for that.

Heh, well I haven't calculated the second list, but here's some stats on the first's shooting power:

Heavy Bolter Shots=30

Missile Launcher Shots=14

Sniper Rifles=42

Bolter/Storm Bolter/Heavy Bolter Shots at 12"=76

Bolter/Storm Bolter/Heavy Bolter Shots at 24"=54

~MTWC

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #5 on: March 9, 2006, 01:29:44 PM »
Both lists make heavy use of sniper Scouts reminding me a bit on Alaitoc (without disruption table or bad disruption rolls).
As an SM player I prefer the first list, but I've found that Inquisitors can be fun to field in an SM army.