News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What's Happening  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Gal'rgae Neverborne

• Armies: Eldar, Deathwing, Daemons
What's Happening
« on: March 8, 2020, 02:33:08 PM »
I've been a member of 40k Online for longer than there's been a 40k Online. I was a member of the original Eldar Online, but it looks like this forum is dying. I remember when I'd post and come back 72 hours later I needed to bump it to get my post back on the 1st page.

Some of the boards haven't had a 2020 post yet a handful the most recent topic is pre-2019. And in all the Sub-boards I checked, I could see back to 2017 or further without going past page 1.

I think the Admins need to look at the situation as I think without intervention the board will decay to the point of non-existence.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: What's Happening
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2020, 03:39:13 PM »
I've been a member of 40k Online for longer than there's been a 40k Online.

So you joined this Forum a year before I did, but still managed to post in the wrong Board  ;)

I was a member of the original Eldar Online, but it looks like this forum is dying. I remember when I'd post and come back 72 hours later I needed to bump it to get my post back on the 1st page.

Before today the last time you posted was January and before that it was September of last year. For any Forum to survive it needs active members that generates content.

I think the Admins need to look at the situation as I think without intervention the board will decay to the point of non-existence.

As above it is up to the members to generate content, not the Admin. Case in point is Myen'Tal and magenb as without them this Forum is pretty much dead.

4ish weeks with no reply,

Damn this forum is either dead or dieing. :'(

Out of interest is there any particular reason you didn't leave feedback to this thread sooner?

« Last Edit: March 8, 2020, 04:39:52 PM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2020, 04:42:50 PM »
Thank you for your comments Alienscar, they do come across as a little abrasive however. Abrasive comments don't facilitate increased activity.

Personally I've never been a regular poster, I'm not on my Facebook account, some people like to generate content others like to consume it.

Yes perhaps I should have posted in the comments and suggestions forum, my mistake perhaps someone would be kind enough to move it.?

I'm aware that other forums have increased activity by merging with other forums, is this something that has been considered? I think if the final response is that there's nothing we can do if members don't post just leads us round to my original point.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2020, 04:46:02 PM by Gal'rgae Neverborne »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: March 8, 2020, 04:59:09 PM »
Any forum relies on its members to generate content.  The problem is that as more experienced and long standing members have left, either because they have stopped playing the game, or have too many commitments to post regularly on a forum, younger and/or newer players have not come forward to take their place.  During the first decade of the 2000s, so many new members would join that the disappearance of others was rarely discussed, but as more and more people now use Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, and other similar platforms, the loss of experienced members has begun to bite.  Throw in a major server problem which adversely affected activity and membership a few years ago and this is why there are far fewer contributions than there used to be.

Other forums have the same or similar problems incidentally.  It is not specific to 40K Online.  The only way to reverse it is for more new members to join, but prising them away from all the other forms of social media out there is, seemingly, mission impossible at the moment.  Again though, we rely on our members to spread the word about how marvellous this place is to hopefully draw in fresh blood :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: March 8, 2020, 05:03:55 PM »
As above it is up to the members to generate content, not the Admin. Case in point is Myen'Tal and magenb as without them this Forum is pretty much dead.

I definitely wouldn't say we're the only main contributors on this forum, but I appreciate that you think we're helping the forum in our own way :).

I agree with Gal'rgae in some respect, that I think the forums have become somewhat quiet. It doesn't help that a lot of our veteran members seemed to have moved on recently, like Looshkin and Cavalier. I know they like to check in from time to time, but their commentary and advice is missed.

I also wish that there was something we could do to attract members back onto 40konline... but as Irisado has mentioned, many Warhammer Forums and Forums in general have declined with the rise of other social media.

JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

« Reply #5 on: March 8, 2020, 05:06:45 PM »
What about merging?

40k Online was founded on a merging?

I really do think that doing nothing and hoping is just delaying the inevitable.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2020, 05:07:56 PM by Gal'rgae Neverborne »

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: March 8, 2020, 05:12:27 PM »
Personally I've never been a regular poster, I'm not on my Facebook account, some people like to generate content others like to consume it.

Which is fair enough, but if everyone that is a member only wants to consume I hope you can see how that will quickly lead to a site slowing down.

I think if the final response is that there's nothing we can do if members don't post just leads us round to my original point.

Indeed it does, which I suppose is the point I was trying to make. Without user generated content no site has a future.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

« Reply #7 on: March 8, 2020, 05:18:37 PM »
So we're just going to give up then?

I'll bring it up again, what about merging?

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 8, 2020, 05:41:36 PM »
I agree with Gal'rgae in some respect, that I think the forums have become somewhat quiet. It doesn't help that a lot of our veteran members seemed to have moved on recently, like Looshkin and Cavalier. I know they like to check in from time to time, but their commentary and advice is missed.

This is what I was alluding to before.  Cavalier's new job took him away from the forum and I know that Looshkin also has real life matters to attend to which take precedence.  As those of us who have been here for a long time get older and have more responsibities away from the forum, this tends to be what happens.

I'll bring it up again, what about merging?

40K Online was a merger between two forums which shared some of the boards and had the same owner, so it is not a merger in the sense that you appear to be suggesting.  This raises the question of which other forum or forums to merge with and whether they would even be willing to merge.  Do you have any specific suggestions?

I think that it is also worth noting that there was a rise in activity in 2017: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?action=stats.  On that basis, it is not all problematic news on the activity front :).  I also believe that most things have cycles and it may well be the case that they could be a shift back towards forums in the future.  This is my hope at any rate.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

« Reply #9 on: March 8, 2020, 05:54:06 PM »
Didn't warseer have problems ?

I'm IRL friends with one of the admins at Bolter and Chainsword?

Anyone else know of any struggling forums?
« Last Edit: March 8, 2020, 05:55:31 PM by Gal'rgae Neverborne »

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 8, 2020, 05:58:34 PM »
WarSeer has all manner of problems and a merger with them is not going to happen for a whole host of reasons that I cannot get into here.  As for other forums, there are a lot of issues with any potential merger that go way beyond the technical ones and they would be problematic enough.  In any event, it would be up to Raine, so there would need to be a serious proposal put to him by the owner of another forum for him to consider.

« Reply #11 on: March 8, 2020, 06:00:34 PM »
Well the idea is out there.

If the owner is interested i'll make use of my connection, can you let him know please?

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: March 8, 2020, 06:02:49 PM »

This site gained thirty new members in 2019 and fifty-eight in 2018 what I would really like to see is some way of helping these new members to start posting.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #13 on: March 8, 2020, 07:30:13 PM »
I found myself pulled away from the site due to real life commitments but I’m slowly but surely coming back.  I’ve got lots of model projects to start and finish in the upcoming months.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #14 on: March 8, 2020, 08:57:28 PM »
I'd say the most active part of this forum is the projects blog. I still keep an eye on every thread that pops up in the eldar forum and try to reply to them. I occasionally write little strategy guides and such and link them to people, but that doesn't seem to have converted into more people on this forum yet.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Mortalis

• Master of waste disposal
  • For Gondor.
« Reply #15 on: March 8, 2020, 10:59:15 PM »
I have so many fond memories of this Forum, I'll do my bit with Zorpazorp - YouTube as we branch out into 40k content. Would love to see this the bubbling hub it once was!

Just not sure how we'd ever break people's consumption habits.

~Morty

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #16 on: March 9, 2020, 12:56:11 PM »
Hey guys I know its been an insane amount of time since I've posted here... but I did want to check in and offer some support. For me I know the major issue has just been time. As some of you guys know, playtesting for GW, running my podcast and all the social media stuff that requires has become literally my second job after commission painting. I just felt bad because I couldnt respond to everyone projects the way I used to, and just popping into update my own stuff felt selfish.

But after reading this post it makes me want to come back and just continue to post. I cant post on everybody's projects and threads the way I used to, but basically being a full time 40k hobbyist as a job does give me a lot to say and I'd love to share it here, since I dont really share my thoughts besides on my podcast as I dont find FB, instagram etc. conducive towards in depth conversation.

So hopefully you guys will be cool with that level of contribution. This place is my first home for 40k and it will always be special to me
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: March 9, 2020, 01:07:24 PM »
@Cavalier, hey man, don't feel bad because you have more responsibilities, such is the way of life :). That being said, I think having only a portion of Cavalier is much preferable than no Cavalier.

That sounds like a great gig, play-testing for GW ;D!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #18 on: March 9, 2020, 03:31:26 PM »
So hopefully you guys will be cool with that level of contribution.

That level of contribution from a hobbyist such as yourself would be awesome. No one paints black and red like you do.

I don't know what limits GW places on you, but if you are able I would really like your take on the Iron Hands rules changes. That is, as a playtester do you think the changes were warranted, or should tournament players 'wind their necks in'.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #19 on: March 9, 2020, 03:34:12 PM »
It’s great to have you back Cav!  As the others said, any contribution you make is good enough for me!  ;D