News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mortal Realms: Issue 5  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Mortal Realms: Issue 5
« on: February 17, 2020, 09:47:57 AM »

I thought I would pick up the first issue of Mortal Realms to see what it was like.

At £2.99 it is undeniably good value for what you get and what you get is:

3 push fit Sequitors in pre-coloured plastic

Three 40.0mm diorama style pre-coloured bases

10 push fit Chainrasps in pre-coloured plastic

Ten 25.0mm plain black slotta bases

A 12” decorated range rule

Six white dice

A 28.5cm X 22.0cm battle mat

A poster

A twenty two page magazine

A 59.0cm X 28.5cm map of Shyish that has information about Nagash & Sigmar on its reverse side

I started this by saying ‘it is undeniably good value’, but thinking about it that is only true if I take into account the cost of the sprues when bought separately. This cost would not be a consideration if I were one of the novices that GW is trying to attract.

Personally, without considering the cost of the individual sprues I still consider this issue to be good value just based on the amount of stuff that is included. I do not need to know anything about GW to realise that the items included are worth more than £2.99.

On Warhammer Community it says:

Whether you’re a seasoned veteran looking for a new challenge, or a complete novice who wants to start playing the world’s best fantasy miniatures game, look out for issue 1 in your local Warhammer store or newsagents –

By selling Mortal Realms in newsagents I imagine that GW is trying to entice new customers to buy into Warhammer, but I am not sure that Mortal Realms does enough to make this happen.

By supplying models on sprues I believe that they have limited the type of person that will buy this type of release. That is, because the models have to be removed from a sprue, and because cutters aren’t included unless you subscribe, I believe it limits its customer base to people that already have a modelling background.

I would much prefer that cutters had been included in this first issue to widen the customer base.

Failing that and as the models are push fit I think they should have considered supplying the models in the first issue pre-assembled or loose and including a voucher for a free pair of cutters from your local GW.

This approach would have had the added benefit of getting the ‘new’ starts into a GW store.

I think that the bases in my issue 1 would also stop a complete novice from enjoying this release. As you can see from the picture below the quality of the bases is poor and they would need a little work before a model could be fixed to them. From looking at another site I know that this problem isn’t a one off.

Also I am not happy that my magazine has fallen apart at its first opening. The pages of the magazine come pre-punched to suit a binder and as such the pages are designed to be easily removed from the magazine. Until I have binder I would rather that my magazine stayed in one piece.

I like the small battle mat and I like the models. I also like the three detailed bases.

« Last Edit: April 2, 2020, 11:37:57 AM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Mortal Realms: Issue 1
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 11:34:55 AM »
I think I’ll pick this up too.  Thanks for the info.  :)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 03:00:13 PM »
If you haven't done so already I think you will struggle to find an issue 1 now. It has sold out in all of my local newsagants and Tesco's. It is also marked as sold out on Hachette's website.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 04:25:38 PM »
It looks like a good idea to me.  It is a shame that it may have already sold out, as I would have been tempted to buy it, especially at that price.  I certainly think that it has potential to expand the fan base.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Mortal Realms: Issue 2
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 11:11:37 AM »
Mortal Realms Issue 2

This issue you get:

Four Myrmourn Banshees

Four decorative bases

A starter paint brush

A pot of Corax White paint

A twenty-two page magazine

For £5.99 this issue feels just as good of a bargain as the first issue.

Once again I really like the decorative bases, but I can't say that I am looking forward to painting them as I am not sure I can do them justice.

I am happy to say that this magazine seems more robust than Issue 1 and so far has stayed in one piece.

The magazine provides information about Nagash, the Myrmourn Banshees and the Soul Wars. It also includes building and painting information for the Banshees, and a playthrough to teach you how to play with the models.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:15:35 AM by Alienscar »

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 01:16:42 PM »
That’s sweet!  Are those decorative bases unique to this? 

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 02:20:12 PM »
No they aren't unique the whole set of four Myrmourn's and their bases are available as a box set from Games Workshop. Buying them that way would cost you a tenner.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 03:45:09 PM »
You can also get them as an underworlds warband in the "Champions of Dreadfane" box, and are freaking awesome in underworlds!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 04:13:05 PM »
Looks like the same company that's doing the 40k conquest magz. If they follow the same idea there will be some bargains on terrain and possibly a unique character model.

If they follow the same idea, most of the minis will be from the game starter box set. For the 40k version it actually works out cheaper to buy dark imperium and then just hit your local newsagency for the other bits.

It does look like they learned not to do issues with just paint though.. $20 issue with $13 worth of paint... Lol

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 07:06:55 AM »
Yes Hachette Partworks is the same company that released Conquest. The unique character was available in Issue 5 (on sale 12/02/2020) and it was Knight-Incantor Xandria Azurebolt.

Including the paint issues buying everythihg this way will save approximately £260 over buying them separately.

I can see that I am going to struggle to buy all of these as for one reason or another they sell out really quickly. I have been unable to find an issue 6 in any of my local newsagents.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 03:35:24 PM »
I can see that I am going to struggle to buy all of these as for one reason or another they sell out really quickly. I have been unable to find an issue 6 in any of my local newsagents.
The newsagency's down here can put in a back orders.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 09:03:44 PM »
I might try that in my local WHSmith. Failing that I will have to try Forbidden Planet. Depends if I can get issue 7 today. If I can't then I will probably not bother with any more issues

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 05:32:26 AM »
Has there been an overlord themed one yet?  ;D

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 05:52:34 AM »

There won't be. It's only nighthaunt and stormcast. They announced in a picture at launch all the items you'd get after all the issues are out. It's two full armies, and terrain.

Start Your Journey into the Mortal Realms - Warhammer Community
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 06:02:32 AM »

There won't be. It's only nighthaunt and stormcast. They announced in a picture at launch all the items you'd get after all the issues are out. It's two full armies, and terrain.

Start Your Journey into the Mortal Realms - Warhammer Community

Doh.  :P

It’s not so bad though.  I’ve been debating getting a nighthaunt army for a while now.

• Ancient
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 09:37:23 AM »
If you can get them, it's an absolutely fantastic savings and deal.

I just know a lot of folks who play nighthaunt have been buying like 6-10 of these, as chainrasps are normally really expensive, and this is a really cheap way to get them.

I'd subscribe the magazine if it was in my country, Just so I wouldn't miss out on an issue.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 11:31:58 AM »
Yeah I have read elsewhere that some of the models available in this release were popular with AoS players. I think that explains why some of the issues have sold out quicker than others.

By the way if I had opted to pay £10 a week for a Premium Subscription you end up getting more than just the Stormcast and Nighthaunt. The premium sub includes Orrucs, Blades of Khorne, Flesh Eaters and Sylvaneth

I have managed to get an issue 7, so all is good. It is a two pots of paint issue, so probably not that exciting for existing players.

• Ancient
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 12:19:33 PM »
I think popular is an understatement.

A box of 10 chainrasps is 25 pounds, the exact same ten models are included in the mortal realms magazine for like 3 pounds. It's a no brainers that you'd want to get a bunch of them when you can.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 12:51:07 PM »
I think popular is an understatement.

A box of 10 chainrasps is 25 pounds, the exact same ten models are included in the mortal realms magazine for like 3 pounds. It's a no brainers that you'd want to get a bunch of them when you can.

That’s actually amazing when you think about it.  :o

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Mortal Realms: Issue 3
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2020, 10:32:59 AM »
Mortal Realms Issue 3

This issue you get:

Four easy-to-build Castigators

One easy-to-build Gryph-Hound

Four decorative bases

On pot of Retributor Armour base paint

A twenty-two page magazine

For £7.99 this is the first 'full price' issue of the eighty part release. Even at full price it still feels like bargain.

The decorative bases continue to amaze me.

The magazine provides information about Stormhosts, the Hammers of Sigmar, Castigators and Nighthaunt Processions. It also includes building and painting information for the Castigators and Gryph-hound, and a playthrough to teach you how to use ranged weapons.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 10:34:26 AM by Alienscar »