News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Path To Glory Campaign: Welcome to Korrethia  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Path To Glory Campaign: Welcome to Korrethia
« on: August 25, 2019, 11:51:41 AM »
My friends and I are starting an AoS Path to Glory Campaign! I'll be posting my first "official" AoS batrep from our first battle soon. However, because I'm a glutton for such foolishness (and I've all *manner* of deadlines to procrastinate from), I decided to write up the setting for our little battles.

Korrethia of Chamon

Korrethia is a rotating spur of land of some sixty-thousand square miles that is constantly crashing/grinding into a much larger landmass at the outskirts of the Spiral Crux.

Regional Map

Before the Age of Chaos, Korrethia was a paradise of fertile farmland dusted as it was by the volcanic ash from the mountain range that always skirts its western and northern coasts. It was also rich in minerals and ore, and the ancient Republic of Nimar was a small, but wealthy and prosperous outer province.

To Be Continued...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Path To Glory Campaign: Welcome to Korrethia
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 01:01:42 PM »
Awesome, cannot wait to see the armies involved here ;D. I like the lore of the land so far. Waiting for more  :).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 10:19:43 PM »
The Age of Chaos
During the Age of Chaos, Korrethia fared poorly. Though spared the direct attention of the Tzeentchian daemons pouring out of the Sky Rift, the healthy trade routes that had sustained Nimar soon stopped as city after city was crushed by daemonic legions. Furthermore, the stuff of Change in the air began to corrupt the land. Farmland and pasture became stinking bog and sucking mire. In the northeast, the mountains erupted with greater force than ever before, creating huge rivers of lava that ran down the eastern coast of the island, obliterating any and all settlements there in a wave of fire.

In this madness, goblins arose from the deep and dark places in the land. Delighted by the madness and destruction, they gleefully burned villages and sacked isolated towns. The Armies of Nimar perished in ambushes or lost their way in the newly formed swamps, choking on air poisoned with volcanic fumes.

Though the goblins never had the courage or the cunning to lay siege to Nimar itself, the city nearly starved and shank to the barest shadow of its former glory.

The Stormcast Eternals
With the coming of Sigmar, Korrethia was not ignored. A small cadre of Stormcast landed in the southwestern corner of the land, outside the walls of Nimar. Promising the High Consul to restore what they could to their fallen land, the Eternals drove back the goblinoid rabble that had infested the land and helped secure what they reclaimed. Having done their work and being needed elsewhere, the immortal warriors departed, leaving the Republic to fend for itself. 

Today, a stretch of arable land along the western mountains has been re-settled by humans, aelves, and duardin and is patrolled by Nimar's restored Republican Army. Though the High Consul has sent scouting parties through the Forest of Fangs and into the Sulphurous Swamps beyond, none have returned. Likewise, any foolish enough to investigate the ruins of Daer Khoraz in the far north have come to bad ends.

The Goblin Menace Stirs
The Stormcast have been gone for almost a century now, and while the goblins of the swamps and mountains have been quiet for all that time, things are changing. Rumors swirl about a new and dangerous leader among the goblin clans and the Bad Moon is oft seen abroad at night.

Pressed by the Senate to come up with a solution to the growing threat, but unwilling to risk his own soldiers in such hostile territory, the High Consul has elected to enter a contract with the Kharadron Overlords to hunt down and slay this mysterious goblin leader, should it exist, and break any goblin hordes that might form.

They are not the only ones who look upon Korrethia with concern, however...

The Deepkin of Iphisis
In the depths of the Misty Bay lies the sunken city of Iphisis, secret outpost of the Idoneth.

Before the Age of Chaos, Korrethia was excellent raiding territory. However, as the Nimari suffered, so did by extension the Deepkin of Iphisis. Goblin souls are weak and paltry things, and the boiling lava flows are a great threat to Deepkin interests. So it was with great excitement that the King of Iphesis received word that the Nimari had once again reclaimed a portion of their land and that their population flourished.

While they wish to return to their raids, they are also very much aware of the threat the goblins represent to their way of life. Having just emerged from a time of austerity, they have no interest in returning.

Make no mistake: a war is coming to Korrethia.

Places of Interest

The Free City of Nimar
Nimar is one of those rare cities that survived the Age of Chaos, albeit in poor shape. The Stormcast Eternals helped fortify its defenses and rebuild it, bringing it to at least a semblance of its former glory. Situated high in the mountains, it is a city of aqueducts and hanging gardens, its citizens enjoying the benevolent rule of the Nimari Senate, led by the High Consul. Voting is permitted only by those citizens who can afford the ballot price, and the Senators are constantly bickering over what that price should be and how it must be paid (gold, silver, copper, gemstones, iron, or the like).

Nimar maintains an army to defend and patrol its own sliver of land in the southwestern corner of Korrethia, but the Senators have little appetite for spending the blood and treasure to form an army to reconquer the vast and untamed wilderness that covers most of the land. They hope the Kharadron Overlords will be a more economical choice, having offered the greedy duardin a variety of mining and property rights to any lands they happen to claim for their own.

Hoadburg
The Nimar Republic's only port, Hoadburg is well garrisoned and defended from attacks from both land and sea. Ships depart here laden with foodstuffs from Korrethia's fertile fields and returns with luxury and magical goods from distant and wealthier lands. Everyone knows of the dangers in the Boiling Sea and the Misty Bay--monstrous creatures that drag you deep beneath the waves or waters so hot that men cook in their hammocks--but the risks are worth the reward for those bold enough.

Tellis
Tellis is the largest trade outpost for those rangers and wanderers brave enough to live in the Forest of Fangs. If an invasion of the wild lands were ever to be launched, it would be from Tellis, which is garrisoned by a full regiment of Nimari soldiers. The local Senator, however, has little motivation to do so. The risk of cutting lumber and trapping furs in the forest is high, and so, too, are the prices. As he charges a tariff on every exchange, the Senator of Tellis is one of the wealthiest in the Republic.

The Forest of Fangs
Overgrown and nearly trackless, the forest is full of the ruins of ancient Nimari towns and cities that were sacked by the goblins during the Age of Chaos. These places are now home to venomous snakes, giant spiders, and worse things. Fortunately, since the inhabitants of this place are as likely to eat goblins as anything else, it acts as a kind of natural buffer between Nimar and the vast Sulphurous Swamps.

The Sulphurous Swamps
Gloomy, hot, and filled with stagnant, poisonous water, there are few environments less hospitable than the Sulphurous Swamps. This place is infested with goblins, who find the stinking air invigorating and the lack of sunlight ideal. It is also home to a large population of trolls, who meet informally at a circle of standing stones somewhere in the center of this vast marsh. Though the goblin clans here are not, as yet, unified, they are only waiting for the right leader to arrive...

Daer Khoraz
This ancient duardin citadel is currently the seat of goblin power in this region. Deep into the mountains have the goblins delved, ferreting out all the secrets of the former inhabitants. Here forges blaze day and night as weapons and armor are made to equip any goblin with the cunning and wealth to afford them. Rumors say that the tunnels from Daer Khoraz travel all throughout the land, and the Nimari have an expression: "No words for goblin ears," indicating the widespread belief that the gitz may be listening anywhere and at any time.

The Burning Lands
Scorched black by innumerable lava flows that pour unending from the great volcanoes known as Gungi's Tears, the burning lands are lifeless wastelands inhabited only by the craziest lunatics or the stupidest trolls. No goblin is stupid enough to come here, and no Nimari dares explore it.

Iphesis
The Sunken Court of Iphesis sees the Nimari Republic as a kind of vassal state--souls stolen from their shores have sustained the Deepkin here for centuries. Accordingly, they are strangely defensive of their prey, much like a shepherd protects his sheep from the wolves only to eat mutton later.

The Iphesi keep close tabs on the doings of the Nimari, and their spies are numerous and devious. It is whispered that they even have allies among the sailors of Hoadburg and perhaps even in the city of Nimar itself. It is possible, in times of dire need, that these spies would be forced to reveal themselves and fight at their masters' sides. Time will tell if this should prove necessary...         

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 11:01:20 PM »
I'm loving all of this lore... in fact, it's really inspirational. I've been wanting to create some lore for the armies I'm collecting, but I've never really dived into it. Might borrow some of your world building ideas and create some settings  ;D.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 05:59:43 AM »
Please do! Good luck!

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 11:41:37 AM »
Great stuff Wyddr.  Admiral Ragnar Riprock of Barak Mhornar is preparing his forces for a first probe into Goblin territory.  This is providing some good motivation to execute finishing touches on his forces with all due haste.   ;)

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 12:09:44 PM »
Great stuff Wyddr.  Admiral Ragnar Riprock of Barak Mhornar is preparing his forces for a first probe into Goblin territory.  This is providing some good motivation to execute finishing touches on his forces with all due haste.   ;)

Sweet! Yeah, glad you like it!

Incidentally (and this is for Uncle Tungsten, too), I think we shouldn't apply any Glory Points until we've all faced off for the round. So, while myself and Unc have some Glory from the last battle, we should set it aside until we each get a chance to play you, so it will be an even playing field, so to speak.

That sound good?

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 12:35:08 PM »
That sounds good to me.  It lets us see how our armies work before we decide how to tweak them going forward.

Offline Uncle Tungsten

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 09:15:38 PM »
I'm stoked about this setting, Wyddr, and looking forward to getting cracking on some scenery.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 09:42:27 PM »
Good luck, guys, wish I could get a narrative campaign together! Maybe when I get into War Cry!